Airfix Westland Sea King Commando HU4, 1/72nd scale...

heloman1

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the lack of updates on this build. Last weekend something struck me and I was admitted to hospital! Man down, no energy, cold/hot sweats, heavy phlegm. Anti-biotics that didn't touch it!

So here I am, a week later having got some paint on the Sea King before my demise. A coat of Helo green and I have to admit, it's not my best paint job but on reflection it does look well worn and may just suit my purpose.

I now need to add clearcoat and then some subtle weathering. At present we have had two days of torrential rain, so  with the humidity way off the scale, I'll have to twiddle my thumbs.

spacer.png

Until next time, enjoy...

Colin

• Like 9

Your paintwork looks suitably and subtly patchy and faded so I'd call that a win Colin :) Hope you've shaken off whatever was ailing you now?

10 hours ago, heloman1 said:

Last weekend something struck me and I was admitted to hospital! Man down, no energy, cold/hot sweats, heavy phlegm. Anti-biotics that didn't touch it!

You and me both. It wasn't so bad I had to go to the hospital, but it was bad enough. I've been hitting a lick or two on my projects for a few days now. I hope we both get on with things in better health. I'll be watching yours...

18 hours ago, Col. said:

Your paintwork looks suitably and subtly patchy and faded so I'd call that a win Colin :) Hope you've shaken off whatever was ailing you now?

Thanks Col, purely by accident, the light in my 'new' spray area is not the best but yes, I'm happy with the outcome,.

Getting better slowly thanks, trying to concentrate on some modelling...

Colin

• Like 1

Always a bit frightening when heath issues interfere with model making.

I hope you are able to use these 2 helicopters as a relaxing way to recover.

Following both of your helicopters in this GB with interest, they are both looking great.

Get well soon.

3 hours ago, heloman1 said:

Thanks Col, purely by accident, the light in my 'new' spray area is not the best but yes, I'm happy with the outcome,.

Getting better slowly thanks, trying to concentrate on some modelling...

Where can I get some of that light?  The Sea King paint job looks great.

Glad you’re on the mend, Colin.  Take good care of yourself through your recovery.

51 minutes ago, mark.au said:

Where can I get some of that light?  The Sea King paint job looks great.

Glad you’re on the mend, Colin.  Take good care of yourself through your recovery.

Hi Mark, I moved in with my partner before the old year ran out. I'm ensconced in the garage on a rather make-shift spray area. There are overhead fireproof LED strip light fittings, plus I open the garage door for ventilation. Not ideal, until I set myself pup at my new house.

I would normally have made a better job of the coverage but on reflection, it serves the purpose of a well worn Junglie Sea King.

Colin

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CliffB said:

I hope you're feeling better now Colin.  

Out of interest, which green paint did you use?

Cheers

Better at present is relative, sometime, I'm feeling good and then...

The paint is Humbrol 86, called out on the painting instructions.

Colin

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Decals applied and I have to say, they went on nice and easy, although some of the smaller ones were a little fiddly. I was initially aprehensive about he sand filter decals but in this scale, the look adequate. I sprayed the anti kick/slip areas. Now for a final coat of sealer and then some mild weathering/distress.

spacer.png

Thanks for looking

Colin

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...

Calling this one done...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

There you go folks. Paint, Humbrol 86, one coat of Future, then a coat of Tamiya X-35SG Clear. Decals are from the kit and went on very nicely, even the four piece markings around the cockpit side windows. Not too sure about the filter decals!

The folded main rotors and tail adds to the overall chunkiness of the Commando Sea King. I added some tiddly detail to the tail fold, it looked a little plain without!

Thanks for tuning in.

Colin

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

On 4/29/2023 at 9:17 AM, Ray S said:

That is a great result, I found it was a very enjoyable build when I did one a couple of years ago.

Ray

Thanks Ray, nice kit to build but I think I still prefer the Revell kit, it's a little crisper.

Colin

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Colin

• Like 1

On 4/29/2023 at 12:02 AM, mark.au said:

I'll call it well done.

Thanks Mark, not my finest work but I'm reasonably happy with the outcome. Tried a little subtle weathering, watercolour  wash and graphite exhaust staining.

Colin

• Like 1