Marineflieger F-104G with AS 30 missiles

Hi,

There are hundreds of subjects that fit into the Salty Sea Dog GB that I'd like to build.

I'm going to limit myself to 2 Marineflieger F-104's.

This one is going to be a Hasegawa F-104 enchanced with the superb Daco F-104 upgrade set.

The set contains the Kormoran missile, but also the AS30. I'll build this one as a MFG 1 aircraft armed with AS30's.

I'll start a second thread for a MFG 2 aircraft with the Kormorans using the Kinetic kit.

XLKpayV.jpg

The kit is an "overtrees" kit from Eduard.

The Marineflieger F-104 Wings were part of a huge NATO effort to contain Warsaw pact navies in the Baltic Sea.

In the 1970's, there were 2 Wings  with each squadrons of F-104's. One squadron from MFG-2 also had RF-104's and made almost daily runs over the Baltic to keep the intelligence picture updated.

The RF-104's were also capable of using the AS30 and the Kormoran.

When MFG 1 converted to Tornado's (autumn 1981-September 1982), MFG 2 had a third F-104 squadron giving a total strength of 72 F-104's and 12 TF-104's.

Although their bases were obviously under NATO protection, they also had their own ground-based air defence units. 40 mm Bofors at first, in the case of MFG 2 replaced by 6 (!)  batteries of truck-based Roland missiles.

I've seen a picture of a Marineflieger F-104 flying so low between Bundesmarine ships that he kicked up white spray.

They were certainly salty sea dogs...

Cheers, Stefan.  

• Like 9

Cool! A 'maned missile' with a pair of Fff... Fff... phenomenally Big Missiles underneath its wings. Nice one, or should that be two, Stefan :speak_cool:

• Like 1