Special Hobby 1:72 Avro Anson Mk I (late version) - can't quite believe I finished it. Now with improved photos!

Hat's off to you for persistence! I never would have made it. 

It looks good and I like the family connection. I guess that's what kept you going.

The light box photos are strangely lit on my screen. They are very blue shifted, both topsides colours appear to be dirty purples.

• Like 1

Well, let's separate a couple of things out...

Modelling: looks terrific, nice work on a difficult but rewarding kit.

Photography: I'm the worst photographer in the world so I'm saying nowt.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

The light box photos are strangely lit on my screen. They are very blue shifted, both topsides colours appear to be dirty purples.

My first attempt - and I definitely need to do some research on how to get the best out of it.

Mark

13 hours ago, Volant said:

I have one in the stash - also with family connections in mind. I keep meaning to do it ‘next’

Give it a go - as long as you don't expect perfection you'll be fine. Some of the fit is great and there's some lovely detail which sort of makes up for the challenges and those 'walk away, walk away' moments.

Mark

11 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

I'm the worst photographer in the world so I'm saying nowt.

When I finish typing this I'm off to do some research - although better photos might not necessarily have been a good thing for this one!

Mark

5 hours ago, Mark Harmsworth said:

Give it a go - as long as you don't expect perfection you'll be fine. Some of the fit is great and there's some lovely detail which sort of makes up for the challenges and those 'walk away, walk away' moments.

Mark

Thank you, I’ll be doing it soon I hope. If it looks half as good I’ll be happy!

What yellow did you use?

3 hours ago, Volant said:

What yellow did you use?

I paint in acrylics and the yellow is xtracrylics RAF Trainer Yellow which has a more orange tinge to it than shows in the pictures. I'm thinking it could have benefited from another coat or two. I always struggle a bit with yellows.

Mark

Yes, yellow never goes down well. I also use acrylics, usually Tamiya. I’ve got Mr Hobby Aqueous 329 to use, and while I have always been impressed with Mr Hobby Aqueous, this doesn’t appear great… I may get the xtracrylics and do some test sprays, see which I prefer.

I’ve just had a read through your WIP thread, and I’m even more intimidated than I was! It’s an important model for me though, in a project where all of the aircraft are being done in 1/72. So apart from the old Airfix, not much choice, and this seems to be the better kit. Albeit one that might put up a fight.

Again, congrats, looks fantastic.

Edited by Volant
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Volant said:

I’ve just had a read through your WIP thread, and I’m even more intimidated than I was! It’s an important model for me though, in a project where all of the aircraft are being done in 1/72. So apart from the old Airfix, not much choice, and this seems to be the better kit. Albeit one that might put up a fight.

I'd recommend having a look at the WIP thread by @Navy Bird which I found very helpful.

Mark

• Thanks 1

Beautiful Anson.

In fact, I think it's the first Anson model I've seen, that manages to erase this visual memory that I have of my first Airfix Anson, which really looked like a 'model'.

Yours looks like a miniature aeroplane. Great finish and detail work!

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 1

I have had one of these in the stash for several years, like you I felt a bit overwhelmed by it when I opened the box. You have done a fab job though, an impressive Anson.

• Like 1

• Mark Harmsworth changed the title to Special Hobby 1:72 Avro Anson Mk I (late version) - can't quite believe I finished it. Now with improved photos!

I've had another go with my light box and (hopefully) have some better photos. I checked around here and (rather crazily) even read the manual for my camera. White balance changes seem to have helped.

Here we are then -  my second attempt:

O4mdPu5l.jpg

RcU283tl.jpg

5Oifiggl.jpg

lBrvRWil.jpg

vV4cwl5l.jpg

all the best

Mark

• Like 3