Looking for Upgrade Gun-Barrel for a 1/4 Scale Anime Figure

Not sure if this should better be placed in the Armour or the Figures Section...

I shortly received my 1/4 Scale Motoko Kusanagi Resin Figure (The one based on the Artwork of the original 1995 Ghost in the Shell Movie Poster) from E2046. The Overall-Detail Level is ok (considering that this is just a recast of a Vinyl-Figure). The Figure comes with a small Machine-Gun that for sure has some room for improvement, especially the barrel looks pretty ugly. Scrolling through the www i could not find something suitable from one of the many manufacturers of metal gun barrels for model kit tanks.....

Anybody here having an idea, were to find something suitable? Pls see picture below. The barrelt of the kit is about 2 cm long and has 3-4 mm diameter. As this is Sci-Fi anyhow it does not need to be accurate under any aspec. Just needs to look cool;-).

For reference there is a 1/72 Upgrade Barrel from Aber Models on the picture. ....Not too bad, but i think there are better options.

spacer.png

If it's the kit I am thinking off people will not be looking at the barrel 🤣. Get a plastic lollipop stick it on the end.

As soon as you change it somebody will invariably say that is not the barrel from the poster.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Pilgrim_UK said:

If it's the kit I am thinking off people will not be looking at the barrel 🤣. Get a plastic lollipop stick it on the end.

As soon as you change it somebody will invariably say that is not the barrel from the poster.

...i know what you mean😉

The Lollipop-Stick approach might be not the worst idea - if you want an accurate representation of the original movie poster (see cutout below) - still i would preffer to improve the detail and try to make Figure and accessories (Cables, Wires, Gun) look as "real" as possible. Even if this is just based on a Anime Drawing.....

spacer.png

• Like 1

Maybe try 1:35 scale. Aftermarket metal parts can be expensive, so I buy stuff like this on Facebook modeling markets, or I beg from friends dealing with AFV for unused kit parts 😉

These are examples of German WWII barrels (as your 1:72 Aber), with nice muzzle brakes.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 2

...thank you voozet!

I just ordered me some Browning Machine Gun Barrels in 1/35 and 1/24 scale from Master Models (+ a Bottle of Blackening Solution for PE- and Brass-Parts). Will post the results once they arrive

• Like 2

I think the 1/35 Browning barrels will be too small in diameter.

Aber does some in 1/16 which may be a better size. 

Adler's Nest from Japan make several gun barrels in various diameters that could possibly work. They're for mecha kits in different scales. 

Carl

• Like 1

On 12/01/2023 at 20:34, FG2Si said:

I think the 1/35 Browning barrels will be too small in diameter. Aber does some in 1/16 which may be a better size. 

Carl

....you were obviously right Carl, as the 1/35 Barrels are clearly way tooooo small.

The 1/24 Barrels already look pretty close but i will also try to get me some in 1/16 scale and then decide what looks best.

spacer.png

A bit disapointing that the folks from master model dip not even answer when is asked for the dimensions of their products (several times). Pretty unprofessional for a company, who wants to do international business.....👎

On 14/01/2023 at 23:05, Pilgrim_UK said:

If its a 1/4 scale model your best bet is probably 1/6 scale barrels.

....scalewise you are obviously correct. But it needs to be considered that the Browning is a large (cal 30) Machinegun, while the thing inside Motokos hand is something closer to the future version of a Machinepistol.

I am pretty happy with the 1/16 Scale Version from Aber. See picture below.

spacer.png

What i do not like about the Aber Barrels is the large amount of burr that they come with. See picture below. All the small dots inside the plastic bag are metal flakes. This will require some intensive cleanup, before i can use them. For Barrels in this price range i would have expected a bit more diligence from the manufacturer.

spacer.png

• Like 4

First dry fitting attempt after removing the oroginal "Lollipop-Stick". But i should drill a bit deeper as the full lenght of the 1/16 Browning Barrel looks a bit too long...

spacer.png

final length:

spacer.png

Edited by Reelyator
added 2nd pic
  • Like 3