Sword 1/72 Fiat G.55 - Finished

Fresh from building the Supermodel and FROG versions of this, I have now run out of obsolete kits, so i will have to build a modern one!

This is available as a double boxing at a very reasonable price. You get two lots of parts like this:

39-A67366-FE12-4-A8-A-B6-C0-4-BEBEB4411-

...including a resin bit for the wheel well detail round the engine area. Neat.

Decals are for a very generous seven schemes (one already used for my FROG build):

12-AD9-D45-F60-E-493-E-9-C15-44842346-F9

The trailing edges of the wings are rather blobby on the inside surfaces so I have scraped them down (just the port one here):

25021-FD0-F8-A0-463-B-91-C3-0232-A3-BD86

...which results in a much thinner trailing edge (on the left):

C1007-ED6-4-E6-C-42-E1-AF35-194-CE99-BE0

I have started assembly by gluing together the wings, air intake, cockpit, radiator and fuselage bulkheads:

8-FD9-E93-E-B48-D-407-B-B078-7-E70-C4-A1

I've managed to get the first gluey thumbprint  in already!

• Like 22

1 hour ago, Dave Slowbuild said:

Only building the one kit from the double boxing?

Trying not to have too much on the go! I was building 2 P-38s in parallel in the GB and now I've got one finished a month ago and one needing to go in the KUTA GB. Plus an armoured car and a FROG Spitfire. Plus the Shelf of Shame. Plus this year's GBs...

I do have a plan for the second kit but not right now!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I've closed up the fuselage and I'm done for the day, but I did notice something about the kit:

56399-A6-B-F678-4448-A840-4-D7-C6-DA34-B

The primary parts and the geometric shape parts are great. The secondary parts, like propellers and undercarriage doors, have a strange bumpy "halo" where there seems to be another part trapped inside, as per the photo. I wonder what caused it? 

I expect I can deal with most of it by sanding or scraping, but it might be easier to just fabricate new doors. 

• Like 8

Great and fast work, Adrian, the G-55 is a lovely, elegant aeroplane.

I'm watching closely as I've got the double-kit boxing in my stash - I really fancy the experimental multicoloured splinter scheme.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

I'm watching closely as I've got the double-kit boxing in my stash - I really fancy the experimental multicoloured splinter scheme.

It's amazing how many schemes there were for around a hundred airframes produced during WW2. I also want to have a go at the factory sottoserie 0 prototype scheme (nocciola blotches over verde olivio scura). 

There are even several different variations on the splinter scheme - I did my Supermodel one as "Yellow 8", which had large portions of the original dark green showing through.

I might have just taken delivery of a second Sword double - no self control... :)

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

It's amazing how many schemes there were for around a hundred airframes produced during WW2. I also want to have a go at the factory sottoserie 0 prototype scheme (nocciola blotches over verde olivio scura). 

It's incredible! I'm not sure if the information is still valid as it's so old, but there was an article in an early Air Enthusiast magazine that I'll have to dig out when I build mine.

There are even several different variations on the splinter scheme - I did my Supermodel one as "Yellow 8", which had large portions of the original dark green showing through.

That's the scheme that I want to do as well. Not sure I'm up to the usual Italian camo schemes with squiggles and loops and the like - my painting skills aren't good enough - so the alternative is a single colour.

I might have just taken delivery of a second Sword double - no self control... :)

That does seem to happen.....

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Looks a nice kit and great work so far, it's gone together very  quickly too.

These Sword kits are addictive, aren't they   I did the same with their PR.IV Spitfire too!!!

Chris

Well, I haven't built a Sword kit yet but I seem to have been acquiring them recently..... :D

Cheers,

Mark 

• Like 1

Blimey I blinked and nearly missed the boat again. Ypu don't hang about at all! Will tag along from here. The odd little bumps on the undercarriage door and prop are a bit of a mystery, easily enough fixed though. 

Richie

• Like 1

A good idea to rectify those trailing edges, that's something I most often forget to do.

A nice build we have here.

Is it such a camo scheme you intend to do :

spacer.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, PattheCat said:

Is it such a camo scheme you intend to do :

Not this time around, as that's a series 0 with four nose MGs, no wing cannon and a short fin, but it's on the cards for a subsequent build. This one is going to be a later series 1 in the herringbone scheme from the kit.

And as a final little job tonight I had a go at deepening the MG troughs to make them deep enough to work:

A85-CD53-D-1445-4789-863-F-518-FC631-F52

• Like 11

Goodness me! A week without any work on this. Today I cracked on with the to-do list without making much visible progress:

6-CF18567-BFB7-49-CE-8-AB4-15817-FB74217

But I got the undercarriage done:

31-B88-C14-38-CF-4-BE8-8970-CA8732-DCB99

...and my first ever spiral spinner, freehand of course:

F145-A2-B0-6708-4-BC9-9195-F47-D64854-D3

@JOCKNEY I'm all set now for that other Ta152 scheme if need be!

• Like 23

That spinner is amazing! I shouldn't really be amazed though having seen quite a lot of your work now. 

What's your favourite filler Adrian? I'm still using glue with talcum powder and need to leave the neolithic era behind I think!

Richie

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

spiral spinner

2 hours ago, RichieW said:

spinner

I actually sketched out the front edge of the spiral bit by bit with a pencil before committing to paint so the only real issue after that was keeping the black band a constant width. I mounted the spinner on a cocktail stick to hold it too.

2 hours ago, RichieW said:

favourite filler

Hmmm... for little narrow gaps like that wing root I use Perfect Plastic Putty. It's a water based acrylic filler and you can ladle it on with a cocktail stick and clean away the excess with a fingertip or a damp brush - no sanding. For bigger stuff I use Humbrol or Tamiya solvent putty, but recently I've been using two-part car filler (eg Isopon P38) because it sets fast and sands like a dream (and cheap weight for weight too!). If it want to model something then I get out the Milliput, but less often now I've got comfortable with car filler.

You will find as many different answers as forumeers, all equally valid for themselves :)

Regards,

Adrian

PS - I sometimes use superglue as a filler too!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I'm going for the herringbone scheme on this one. Although the instructions call out Giallo Mimetico 3 (sand), I'd like to go for Nocciola (hazelnut) as the base colour.

8-B704-B9-C-3255-409-F-AC92-ECC14217-C42

So, left to right on the wingtip: Humbrol 110, 118, 249, 1x249+1x93, 93.

Note:

- Shockingly, they all look disturbingly similar! Why do we beat ourselves up so relentlessly about the "right colour"?

- 93 is my go-to Giallo Mimetico (any number), and I've used it on my desert Italian schemes

- the colour of lid is not a good guide to the colour of the paint!

- I think I like the mixed colour best (at the moment)

- probably going to stick with Hu242/RLM71 for the Verde Oliva Scuro 2 overlay

Anyhow, it is 9 o'clock now so I can ruminate during work hours. Opinions welcome!

• Like 14

Nice choice of subject Adrian. I have the double boxing version. Typical Sword offering I would say, with that "short run" feeling, but a lovely little kit IMHO.

Will watch how this one turns out. Things are looking very good so far!

Terry

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1