FROG 1/72 Fiat G.55

Hot on the heels of my Supermodel version of this, here's the FROG one. A brief WIP is here if you are interested.

First off, a spinning propeller shot for Chris @bigbadbadge:

B5-DE875-B-A936-4-CC1-9179-C9-B1-A45-E6-

The rest have static propeller, because I didn't like the way the model and stand were skittering across the display background in the breeze!

A5609-CA1-6780-4634-A100-7-E0-F023-CABD4

7-EDFEC0-B-8260-477-F-9864-F365-D2-D9-A2

648-CB1-E3-65-CB-46-E8-95-BC-06-E28-D0-C

And alongside the Supermodel kit:

22-A9567-A-C1-DA-4-B82-B2-BF-5-A96-CD620

I was worried that the overall green would be too drab (I used RLM 71) but I actually rather like it now it is done. This kit is very crude and has a ridiculously spindly and fragile undercarriage (hence wheels up) but actually captures the shape of the real thing rather better than the Supermodel kit, which is very bloated in the fuselage in particular. For many years these two (in various boxings) were your only bet, but there has been a Special Hobby kit, which doesn't seem to be available anywhere even second hand, and now there's the Sword kit, which I think looks very good.

So, if you want one, buy the Sword kit. This is on my bench now destined for yet another scheme.

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 37
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Hairtrigger said:

stand

I didn't want to cut a slot in the fuselage, so I cut a slot in the stand tab to slip over the rear lip of the radiator. Bad engineering in brittle clear polystyrene! When it breaks I will stick a piece of balsa on top of the stand that will plug in to the rear of the radiator -and touch up the scratches on the radiator lip!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

Well done Adrian, despite being grotty old kits you have 2 attractive looking models there. I'm looking forward to seeing the Sword kit. I'm sure it will be much more refined and worthy of your talents.

Richie

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the action shots, but I need to make sure you were making the appropriate engine noises too😉😄

It looks great with wheels up and in flight, great work, they both look great together too.  Fantastic work on a couple of old kits.

Chris

• Haha 2

Wow, its nice to see, some of the old kits, nicely done.  Bring back memories. I also have in my stash some old (pre '70) kits from Frog, Revell, Hasegawa.... I'm not throwing them out, and will make them as they are.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

First impression: it's great to see how an old Frog kit kan be built and finished to look that good with some (a lot?) TLC!

Second impression: in 1:72nd scale, at least, I think that fine raised lines often look more convincing from a normal viewing distance than deep grooves filled with black.

Slick work.

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Thanks 1