Italeri 1/72 Westland Whirlwind HAR.9

Hi all,

Latest off the bench is Italeri's H-19B Chickasaw, converted to a HAR.9 using the Airwaves resin nose peice and the excellent newly released Xtradecal Westland Whirlwind collection.

The kit is missing a few aerials and type specific components, but looks convincing enough when built up.

A very nice kit which builds up very quickly and has some reasonably good detail. Painted using Revell Aqua Colour and Hataka Lacquers. The fluorescent orange is particularly difficult to colour match as many photos show variations or fading of the paintwork, so I tried to match my previously built Wessex and Whirlwind as closely as possible. Weathering has been kept to an absolute minimum with just a custom black/brown oil wash applied around the RAF Blue Grey areas to simulate operational grime at sea.

Many thanks for looking!

52611071459_a3178120b7_b.jpg

52611228960_9f19b79dff_b.jpg

spacer.png

Edited by NavyWessex
  • Like 74

Conversion… what conversion?? How good does that nose blend into the cabin parts. That honestly looks completely new tooled OOB in every aspect. Marvellous job and beautifully executed. 

Cheers and well modelled.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

Many thanks for all the positive comments, much appreciated.

20 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Conversion… what conversion?? How good does that nose blend into the cabin parts. That honestly looks completely new tooled OOB in every aspect. Marvellous job and beautifully executed. 

Cheers and well modelled.. Dave 

The resin nose plug is a remarkably good fit. It required a reasonable amount of fettling and sanding, but if it's one thing I hate on my builds it's unsightly join seams! 

• Like 1

Very nice job. I so very nearly didn’t click on this topic as the last time I looked at a Westland Whirlwind on here I got an obscure twin-engined World War Two era fighter. I’m glad I did look now - this is a proper Whirlwind in my opinion, and very well executed too.

A  nice model and diorama and I like the dayglo orange finish. I served in the RAF alongside the Whirlwind Mk. 10's in the Far East but the H19B kit is quite rare but I constructed a Mk.10 with a conversion kit many moons ago. Keep up the excellent work. Best wishes.

albamac

Beautiful model. Can I ask if the  HAR 9 had the under fuselage recess for a torpedo? I know it's a rescue helicopter but were they converted form HAS 7s? I hope to do that conversion to a HAR.9 myself but I don't know about the under side.  Specifically I want to build a HAR.9 as operated from HMS protector in the Antarctic. Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Joe