Academy 1/35th AH-1Z Viper WIP

Hi All,

Diving head first into my first large scale model. In this case, it Academy's lovely 1/35th scale AH-1Z Viper attack helicopter. I love the AH-1 series of helicopters, and really dig this particular variant (as well as the OG Vietnam War era AH-1G).  I've picked up just about everything made for this model, so let's see if I can make it work. 

The box art;

52611198808_e12470b391_z.jpg

The aftermarket goodies;

52611123305_678e638be9_c.jpg

First thing to accomplish, and the most involved aspect as far as integrating an aftermarket set was preparing the forward fuselage for the Legend Productions AH-1Z avionics and ammunition bays. I drilled holes around the perimeter of the molded in bay access doors, then used a craft saw to removed the doors. Various sanding sticks and files were used to removed the remnants of the doors up to the door panel lines and clean up the opening. 

52611111295_b7a063ac5c_c.jpg

52610687471_7db2615a74_c.jpg

52611111325_37779f90ef_c.jpg

52610953989_723b24e119_c.jpg

Here's the bays loosely fitted into place. I will permanently glue them into place once the bays are painted and the forward fuselage is assembled. Thanks to @Greg W for helping me get these fitted into place. His knowledge on how to tackle installing resin sets of this type was greatly appreciated.  

52610184797_ecf52e80a8_c.jpg

52611180228_bfca23ce92_c.jpg

Here's the tail boom with some photoetch screens and Flying Leathernecks FMV antenna fairing fitted in place;

52610201472_c42344a539_c.jpg

Thanks for looking!

• Like 8

Great choice, I found this is a brilliant kit which was just a pleasure to build

Just wondering how heavy the resin avionics are because this model really needs nose weight to sit correctly on its skids.

Good luck with the build 👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alan P said:

Great choice, I found this is a brilliant kit which was just a pleasure to build. 

Just wondering how heavy the resin avionics are because this model really needs nose weight to sit correctly on its skids.

Good luck with the build 👍

I am very impressed with this kit. I've seen some fantastic models built OOB, so all of the added bits and bobs is just window dressing for an already fantastic kit.

As far as the weight of the Legend bays, additional weight  is still needed as the bays aren't heavy enough on their own to keep the model from being a tail sitter. 

Cheers,

Albert

Edited by albymoore
Can't brain when typing today.
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...