Cessna 170 kit?

dov

On 1/6/2023 at 5:45 PM, dov said:

I am looking for a kit of a Cessna 170. Anyone an idea?

Hi,

Either Hasegawa or Roden 1/48 Cessna O-1 Birddog wings, tail and gear with heavily modified Hasegawa or Cessna 172 fuselage or scratch-built fuselage.

Cheers,

AaCee

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I would think a good starting point would be the old Monogram C-180 kit, with rounded tail feathers similar to the O-1 Birddog.. The cowl on the Monogram kit is closer to a C-170, than a C-180, anyhow.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 2

Have a look at my thread on converting 1/48 Cessna 172 to a C 180. When you compare plans the Cessna lights are remarkably similar. Sorry the search function is going crazy at the moment so I can't post link.

• 1 month later...

Howdy all, just getting use to the forum layout.

I finished a Cessna 170 custom build using parts from a KP Cessna 180 kit and the Airfix Bird Dog kit. Swapped the tail, and with a little misc work, got it close enough for my desires.

I have no idea as to the original color, so I chose red.
spacer.png

It is the prototype Cessna 170, NX41691 which used no dorsal, had fabric wings ("Rag-Wing") and used "V" struts. Custom made decals that worked out nicely for my needs.

spacer.png

I don't  mind the pic of the Mount Cook Cessna being used but its my model and pic for anyone wanting to know more.

When using the KP 180 kit and combining it with the Airfix L-19 kit, the dorsal caused the vertical/rudder to tilt aft too much. The only way to get it to look right was to cut off the dorsal and make an early 170 out of it. Someone else might can get it to work better. There was some other work involved as well but I think a good modeler can do a much better job than I did. It really needed to lean a bit further foreword.

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4

On 5/22/2023 at 3:54 PM, Bryan Austin said:

When using the KP 180 kit and combining it with the Airfix L-19 kit, the dorsal caused the vertical/rudder to tilt aft too much. The only way to get it to look right was to cut off the dorsal and make an early 170 out of it. Someone else might can get it to work better. There was some other work involved as well but I think a good modeler can do a much better job than I did. It really needed to lean a bit further foreword.

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.pngseries

I auppose a wedge added between fin and rudder to get it to fit with the high-back fuselage.

Another issue might be the width of the fuselage if someone cares about if. I think 180/185 fuselage is since early sixteens wider than 170/172-series. I'm not familiar with the KP kit. My bet is that the early Monogram 180 has a narrow fuselage.

Cheers,

AaCee

Edited by AaCee26
Typo