McDD F-4E Phantom II, Turkish Air Force - Hasegawa 1/72

Let me be the first to say Wow!

That is a spectacular result Giorgio. Following the WIP was an education and a pleasure.

I've picked up many tips for when I build my own F-4s, and of course will be following the Greek version to the finish line!

Thanks

Terry

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

That is a spectacular result Giorgio. Following the WIP was an education and a pleasure.

I've picked up many tips for when I build my own F-4s, and of course will be following the Greek version to the finish line!

Thanks

Terry

Giorgio, everything Terry said (except I wasn’t the first)

Absolutely phabulous. 

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/6/2023 at 4:30 PM, giemme said:

Happy New Year everybody!

Here's my latest off the bench, completed in December 2022 actually:

h_finito1

A few words about the aircraft, before going into the model details: F-4ETM 68-0403. 112th Sqn "Seytanlar", TuAF, Eskisehir 2011 - this specific bird was delivered to the Turkish Air Force from the 110TFS, 131 TFW Missouri ANG in 1991, under Peace Diamond VI operation. It was the first of 16 F-4Es to be upgraded to the F-4ETM "Simsek" (Lightning) standard in 2010. I could gather very few info about this upgrade, which has nothing to do with the TERMINATOR version; I did found an article form a Turkish aviation journalist mentioning that this upgrade mainly consisted in integrating digital avionics with analog instruments, so very few differences were noticeable in the IP layout. I couldn't find any photos, though, so I just kept the original F-4E instruments panels.

About the model: this was part of a double build, together with a Finemolds F-4EJ kit that I converted (well, still in progress, actually) to a Hellenic Air Force F-4E. The idea was to complement the Hasegawa build with parts copied form the FM offering. The WIP thread can be seen here:

Aniway:

KIT: HASEGAWA F-4E Phantom II "Phabulous Phantom", #00790, 1/72, kindly donated by my friend @Gene K

Aftermarkets: 

- Aires Exhausts

- Master brass pitot tubes

- Eduard #73201 PE set, for cockpit and airframe

- Quickboost resin seats

- HI-DECAL dedicated decals set HDL 72058

Scratch-building and improvements:

- resin outer wings, cast and adapted from F-4F Revell kit parts (original parts kindly lent by Silvano @phantom61 :thumbsup:)

- seamless intakes, @Gene K method

- door 19 area (the "hunch"), resin copy cast from the corresponding Finemolds part

- resin splitter plates, again cast from the original FM parts, since they offer an incredible detail in terms of the thousands of holes beautifully reproduced. I had of course to adapt the overall shape to fit the Hasegawa kit, but I think they came out good

- tail fuel dump, from brass pipes

- AoA probe, from brass rod

- slime lights, from aluminium tape and spare decals

- RBF tags, printed on regular paper using an EDUARD set as a template

- tail chute, from styrene foam

- drop tanks joint, using copper wire

- various cabling ad wiring using copper wires, in the cockpit mainly

- canopies opening arms, from steel rod and brass pipes

- drooped ailerons, cutting through the kit plastic and manually bending them

- fuselage pressure gauge. from clear sprue and a leftover decal

- canopy masks, cut with my Silhouette Curio but from design provided by @Gene K

Painting: Lifecolor paints for the camouflage, airbrushed. Tamiya acrylic Flat Black was used as primer/base. AK Extreme Metal, MM metallizers  and Vallejo Metal for the various metallic hues. Lifecolor again for the interiors, both airbrushed and brush painted

Weathering: kept to a minimum, since the only pic I found of the real thing shows a well kept airframe. I used black tempera washes for the wheel wells and a few other areas, and oil washes for the panel lines (black, dark grey and light grey according to the base color)

Weapons: this aircraft was used in the Air Defence Role, normally equipped with AIM-9 L or P; I opted for using two AIM-9Ls, leftovers from an Airfix Harrier kit

I'm pretty sure I forgot something, but enough blah-blah. here are the pics:

h_finito2

h_finito3

Here you can appreciate the detail of the splitter plates, with the holes showing up only when viewed from close distance, just like the real thing - hat's off to Finemolds for brilliantly reproducing that detail!

h_finito6 h_finito8

h_finito27

Tail chute detail

h_finito7

Seats

h_finito4

Cockpit details

h_finito5

h_finito9

h_finito10

h_finito11

h_finito12

Tail and exhausts details

h_finito13

Seamless intakes

h_finito14

resin outer wings

h_finito15

h_finito16

Ordnance and drop tanks

h_finito17

Underside:

h_finito18

h_finito19

The drooped airbrakes are from the Eduard PE set, with scratch built actuators (from copper wire and its plastic sleeve, which happened to be red :winkgrin:)

The Auxiliary Air Intakes (the two small rectangular doors in the middle of the bottom fuselage) were instead cut off and scratch built from styrene sheet, using my Curio cutter.

h_finito20

Exhausts detail

h_finito21

Nose U/C bay

h_finito22

Some bonus pics "in full sunlight"

h_finito23

h_finito24

h_finito25

h_finito26

All comments welcome

Ciao

Great work G.

another Phantastic Phantom 4 your collection.

bravooooo....

Silvano 

• Thanks 1

On 06/01/2023 at 17:05, Terry1954 said:

Thanks

Terry

Thanks Terry! No prize for the first, I'm afraid, but if we ever meet, at least one beer round is on me 🍻  :D 

On 06/01/2023 at 17:15, Pantherhawk27263 said:

That is a fantastic looking Phantom!!! 

You mean phantastic, right? :rofl:  Thank you1 :thumbsup:

On 06/01/2023 at 19:49, Dave Klaatu said:

Who doesn't love a Phantom? Really nice work, looks great!

Indeed, who doesn't? :D  :thanks:

On 06/01/2023 at 19:59, albymoore said:

Phabulous looking Phantom, especially in the "which-ever-deity-you-worship" scale! 

Cheers,

Albert

Thanks Albert! :thumbsup:  I chose to work on the 1/72 scale for jets because of sheer size - when it comes to WWII propeller aircraft, I stick to the 1/48 :winkgrin:

On 06/01/2023 at 20:03, Chrisj2003 said:

Giorgio, everything Terry said (except I wasn’t the first)

Absolutely phabulous. 

Chris

Cheer Chris, glad you like it! :thumbsup: 

On 06/01/2023 at 22:17, Vultures1 said:

Absolutely phantastic Phantom, Giorgio - well done!!  And thank you for the great WIP too!

Thanks Vultures1, glad if the WIP can be of any help :thumbsup:

On 07/01/2023 at 00:35, billn53 said:

You finally brought it across the line, and it’s another enviable achievement! Keep it up, Giorgio!

Thank you Bill! :thumbsup: Trying to gather some mojo (or rather win over some accumulated holidays laziness) and get back to the Finemolds F-4 now.... :D 

On 07/01/2023 at 00:40, spruecutter96 said:

If you had said this was 1/32nd, I would have believed you! Excellent work and thanks for sharing with us. 

Cheers. 

Chris.  

Thanks Chris :thumbsup:  Pictures can be deceiving, as regards scale... :winkgrin:  :D  

On 07/01/2023 at 13:07, Biggles87 said:

Agree with all of the above.

Phantastic result.

John

Thanks John, much appreciated! :thumbsup:

On 07/01/2023 at 13:57, basket said:

Hello and happy new year.

Another superb rhino to your credit !

And I have a few more in my stash! Thanks Remy! :thumbsup:

On 07/01/2023 at 14:50, keefr22 said:

She's lovely G - lovely details, lovely paintwork, lovely subtle weathering - just a lovely Phantom!!

Top work again :thumbsup:

K

Cheers Keith, glad you like it! :thumbsup:

On 07/01/2023 at 16:29, Spookytooth said:

Great work there Giorgio, another fantastic Phantom to add to your collection.

Simon.

Thanks Simon, it is now indeed sitting with her sisters in my display shelf :D :thumbsup: 

On 07/01/2023 at 21:52, Dstream said:

Awesome model, great paintwork. 

Cheers,

Dan

Thank you Dan! :thumbsup:

On 08/01/2023 at 03:30, Cookenbacher said:

You've managed to somehow top yourself Giorgio, that looks so real!

Way too kind, Cookie! Thanks! :thumbsup:

On 08/01/2023 at 05:55, John Laidlaw said:

Good grief that's lovely!

Cheers John, thank you! :thumbsup:

On 08/01/2023 at 08:08, BerndM said:

Impressive build in a nice livery.

The E variant looks great with a shark mouth. The open parachute housing is a nice touch.

:clap2::thumbsup:

Cheers Bernd, thank you! :thumbsup: Glad you noticed the tail chute :) 

On 08/01/2023 at 11:35, Pete in a shed said:

Top notch work:clap:. I missed the Wip but will have a look as I have a Kef F4E to do. I'm sure there will be lots in it to spur me into action.

Pete

It's quite a lengthy WIP, but I hope it cab be useful :winkgrin: Thanks! :thumbsup:

On 08/01/2023 at 20:29, Hopesdaddy said:

Fabulous result on the Phantom from one of the lesser seen users (at least in my opinion). 

Indeed the TuAF Phantoms are very interesting, with some of coolest shark mouth ever :D  Thank you :thumbsup:

On 09/01/2023 at 14:02, phantom61 said:

Great work G.

another Phantastic Phantom 4 your collection.

bravooooo....

Silvano 

Grazie Silvano, also for you help and support! :thumbsup: 

14 hours ago, Sky Keg said:

Oh my!!!!! :gobsmacked:  it`s not just perfect but also beautiful!!!!!!!!:worthy:

Mike

Way too kind, Mike - and it's not perfect by any means. Beautiful, though... :D  :thumbsup:

Ciao

• Like 5