Me.262A 3D Printed Upgrade Set (3DL48085 for Tamiya) 1:48

Me.262A 3D Printed Upgrade Set (3DL48085 for Tamiya)

1:48 Eduard SPACE

boxtop.jpg

The Tamiya Me.262A is getting quite old now, but it’s still a good kit that would benefit from a new lease of life by adding some modern technology aftermarket to the cockpit.  The Eduard SPACE sets use new 3D printing techniques that lay down successive layers of different colour resin, creating highly realistic almost full complete panels that are supplied on a decal sheet.  They can depict metallic shades, plus glossy, satin and matt colours too, which really ups the detail on everything they print.  In addition, a small sheet of nickel-plated and pre-painted PE is included for the aspects of the set that lend themselves better to this medium, such as seatbelts and rudder pedals.

3dl48085.jpg

After removing the engraved detail from the kit instrument panel, the flat surfaces have four 3D printed decals added to replace and augment the part, with a choice of a different centre console with an alternative layout of instruments.  The side consoles are similarly stripped of their moulded-in details, covered over with new decals, and with a lever on a backing plate on the starboard side, next to the kit fuse board, which has a cut-out in the decal to allow everything to sit well together.  The pilot’s seat is then detailed by adding the four-point seatbelts, which also have comfort pads under the buckles, and you should remove the two small pips on the back of the seat before gluing the shoulder harnesses in place.

Conclusion

I’m a huge fan of 3D printed instrument panels and their ilk, and look out for them whenever I start a new project.  This set should give the venerable Tamiya kit an additional boost in detail that is well worth the effort and asking price.

Highly recommended.

bin.jpg

Review sample courtesy of

logo.gif

• Like 1