Harrier GR5/7/9 tank dimensions

perdu

I am searching for dimensions of the later style underwing tanks for the GR 5 and later Harriers because it seems I may have to make a pair for my GR5 which being the Revell version did not have any in the kit.

I hope to be able to draw it up in Fusion360 as a first real life project, but even if not I can make one and cast from it.

It doesn't look to have any similarity to the earlier parallel style tanks except the pylon suspension lugs so extemporisation seems to be the way ahead.

An help you can give will be very welcome.

Cheers.

Can't assist with dimensions but FYI the Airfix/Heller GR.5/7/T.10/AV-8B/TAV-8B tooling includes a pair of the tanks you need in all variants, so someone having spares is likely.  The size and shape of the kit parts appear accurate, at least from my Mk.1 Mod 0 Eyeball ruler 🙂

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/airfix-04038-harrier-gr-5--122339

You are correct that these tanks are entirely different from the "first generation" Harrier ferry tanks.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, perdu said:

I am searching for dimensions of the later style underwing tanks for the GR 5 and later Harriers because it seems I may have to make a pair for my GR5 which being the Revell version did not have any in the kit.

I hope to be able to draw it up in Fusion360 as a first real life project, but even if not I can make one and cast from it.

It doesn't look to have any similarity to the earlier parallel style tanks except the pylon suspension lugs so extemporisation seems to be the way ahead.

An help you can give will be very welcome.

Cheers.

This is all I have, I don't know how appropriate they are to the later Mk.'s?

CO9EkN.jpg

John

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, canberra kid said:

This is all I have, I don't know how appropriate they are to the later Mk.'s?

CO9EkN.jpg

John

Great info but tose are the "first generation" ferry tanks I alluded to above, so not the same as what the OP is seeking for the "Harrier II" family.

Digging a bit further, I believe the later drop tanks may actually be a variant of the USN/USMC 300 (US) gallon Aero-1 series of tanks.  @Tailspin Turtle has, as with so many subjects Navair related, an informative blog on the subject, though on quick scan I did not see a definite confirmation these are precisely the same as the GR.5/7/etc tanks.

http://tailspintopics.blogspot.com/2011/07/douglas-low-drag-external-fuel-tanks.html?m=1

• Like 1

That is brilliant guys thank you.

I had already noted the 'same shapedness' of the US tanks and have found a few in my spares box.

I just need the length to correlate with the parts in my box

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, perdu said:

I had already noted the 'same shapedness' of the US tanks and have found a few in my spares box.

I have a few American Harrier T.O.'s I'll take a look, but I don't recall seeing any dimensions in them. 

John

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, perdu said:

This is the only tank I can find in the TO. Lot's of weapons though. 

COJ1JQ.jpg

John

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, canberra kid said:

This is the only tank I can find in the TO. Lot's of weapons though. 

COJ1JQ.jpg

John

Brilliant information John, all I need to do now is work out 182" in 1/72 and find one the right size from these samples.

Yippee.

182.0 being 2.5277

26.4 being 0.3666

and suspension lug spacing at 14 being 0.1944.

let's see

P1010052-2.jpg

I have a box full of under-wing-things

One of these?

P1010053-2.jpg

Dammit too big...

Maybe one of these?

P1010054-2.jpg

Oh heck, the search goes on, I only want one late Harrier to complement the Kestrel.

Just going to build it with bombs now then I think, OOB as earlier promised.

John thank you very much for the assistance, probably saved me making a bigger dunce of myself than usual.

And I have to say I'm letting you down. I've found them but failed to notice you were after 1/72 until the above posts. 1/32 wouldn't stick out that much!.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, speedy said:

And I have to say I'm letting you down. I've found them but failed to notice you were after 1/72 until the above posts. 1/32 wouldn't stick out that much!.

Not to worry speedy, offer appreciated anyway

I might sacrifice one of my blanks and attempt attenuating the middle bit, see if I can keep the curve regular but I wasn't expecting to go in for anything elaborate and over  the top.

• Like 1