Fujimi 1/350 Yamashiro

Bravo Zoran! I agree with the others here on the weathering and rigging, a first-place winner if I ever saw one! Glad to hear the Fly PE worked out for you, the one time I tried using one on a build, while it looked beautiful on the sheets, I found it incredibly delicate and unforgiving compared to WEM/ Tom’s and Eduards (I have yet to use a Pontos set).

It looks like you used a laser-cut wood deck on this build (did you and if so what brand?). How did you weather/ tone-down the wood? Did you seal it and then use an oil or enamel wash? While I understand the criticism that some have over these wood decks being out-of-scale, I think they add a lot to the “eye candy appeal” on a 1/350 ship build. On the few builds I’ve done with wood decks, I’ve left them unfinished and found them to look somewhat stark and “tacked-on” compared to what you’ve achieved with this build.

I have a Hasegawa Nagato kit with all the bells and whistles that I’ve been saving for years until my ship building skills qualified to attempt it. I’m going to bookmark this Yamashiro build to serve as inspiration to aim for. Build & post more ships please!

Edited by nearsightedjohn
Grammer
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, nearsightedjohn said:

Bravo Zoran! I agree with the others here on the weathering and rigging, a first-place winner if I ever saw one! Glad to hear the Fly PE worked out for you, the one time I tried using one on a build, while it looked beautiful on the sheets, I found it incredibly delicate and unforgiving compared to WEM/ Tom’s and Eduards (I have yet to use a Pontos set).

It looks like you used a laser-cut wood deck on this build (did you and if so what brand?). How did you weather/ tone-down the wood? Did you seal it and then use an oil or enamel wash? While I understand the criticism that some have over these wood decks being out-of-scale, I think they add a lot to the “eye candy appeal” on a 1/350 ship build. On the few builds I’ve done with wood decks, I’ve left them unfinished and found them to look somewhat stark and “tacked-on” compared to what you’ve achieved with this build.

I have a Hasegawa Nagato kit with all the bells and whistles that I’ve been saving for years until my ship building skills qualified to attempt it. I’m going to bookmark this Yamashiro build to serve as inspiration to aim for. Build & post more ships please!

I used wooden deck from Flyhawk set. Actually it was biggest drawback of whole set ( it doesn't fit right). As far as treating it, I've used four very thinned Humbrol sand and light brown colors, to paint individual planks. Very thinned, to change a color just a bit. After that, coat of Future clear polish, followed by darkish brown-grayish enamel wash, over whole deck. Then, I installed it on painted model, added towers, and small bits, dk gray wash around them, and for finish Model master flat clear lacquer ,it gives 100 flat finish

( unfortunately my stash of it, is running out , and due to new environmental laws is no longer produced!!). Hope it helps

• Thanks 1

I'm on board with everyone else, that's fantastic. Third ever ship, that's just making the rest of us look bad 😉. The weathering is a level way beyond my capabilities or patience, bit it's so stunning to see. This Yamashiro kit was one of my earlier builds, sadly I made a bit of a mess of it so I'm considering a rebuild someday, there's a lot of inspiration to be had here and nice to see the flyhawk set in use (I was still OOB building when I did mine)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MRMRL said:

I'm on board with everyone else, that's fantastic. Third ever ship, that's just making the rest of us look bad 😉. The weathering is a level way beyond my capabilities or patience, bit it's so stunning to see. This Yamashiro kit was one of my earlier builds, sadly I made a bit of a mess of it so I'm considering a rebuild someday, there's a lot of inspiration to be had here and nice to see the flyhawk set in use (I was still OOB building when I did mine)

No need to feel bad. Although this is my third ship, I'm in modeling for forty years, making (mainly) aircraft. I have 250+ aircraft and some AFV's (all in 72nd scale) in my display cases. I've mixed in ships three years ago....

• Like 1

crikey that is good !! That rigging is the stuff of nightmares, what did you use and how to do you anchor the ends to the infrastructure/decks ?? Do you use eyelets or somehow just CA the end down. 

However you do it that is a model to be very proud of, well done.

10 minutes ago, theskits62 said:

crikey that is good !! That rigging is the stuff of nightmares, what did you use and how to do you anchor the ends to the infrastructure/decks ?? Do you use eyelets or somehow just CA the end down. 

However you do it that is a model to be very proud of, well done.

Thank you. 

I used Uschi lycra rigging tread. They make them in 0.3, 0.2, 0.1mm. They are very easy to work with, and I secure them to superstructure directly, with tiny drop of superglue, then spray matt clear.

Small tip for applying super glue. Since glue slides of from metal needles, usually out of control, and toothpick soaks up super glue, what I found works best is, old, good stretched sprue.... With some practice, you'll be able to produce stretched sprue in various diameter, therefore easily control size of super glue drops, as needed... And it doesn't run off, as from metal... For me, much better, more controllable way of applying super glue.

And for handling very small etched bits, may I recommend you try a toothpick, with small blob of bees wax on tip... It has just enough sticking power to lift small parts, but not enough to pull parts, when glued.

(sorry if I'm repeating myself)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, thekz said:

Very, very good work.:yahoo:
especially liked the whalers on davits :thumbsup:
Shouldn't the waterline be clearer?
or is it a feature of Japanese shipbuilding?

Japanese didn't have "waterline stripe" if that's what you mean....

Just now, thekz said:

I guessed about this. But I was confused by the fact that the border between gray and red looks blurry

Thats weathering. If you built "as new", of course, there should be a clear line between colors. I just prefer my models to look like they've been working hard...  😃

13 minutes ago, Zoran Srb said:

Thats weathering. If you built "as new", of course, there should be a clear line between colors. I just prefer my models to look like they've been working hard...  😃

"Like new" I don't like it.
I just always thought that significant paint damage was lower and that the border between the board and the underside kept clear.
Went digging through the photos.:rage:
Would be grateful if you could post some pics to prove your point.

21 minutes ago, thekz said:

"Like new" I don't like it.
I just always thought that significant paint damage was lower and that the border between the board and the underside kept clear.
Went digging through the photos.:rage:
Would be grateful if you could post some pics to prove your point.

No point... I just like it that way.... Some artistic license...😉

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/01/2023 at 16:51, bissyboat said:

Or boot topping in naval terms. 

Thanks for explaining. I'm not a "boat guy", since  I've been building aircraft for ever. What brought me to shipbuilding, actually was insane complexity ( compared to aircraft) of Pontos and Flyhawk detail sets. And in a way my ignorance about ships, is, in a way blessing, since I didn't, and still don't, know much about ships, so all potential inaccuracies of the models (unlike aircraft) are not bothering me. I just see them as nice models. Don't get me wrong, I know bow from stern, end still look at the pictures, but not to closely .... So I make them totally relaxed, without compulsion to compare every part to plans and photos... I'm still working on attitude adjustment toward aircraft building, and since I've didn't build one for ages, after Warspite, maybe....

• Like 3

No probs. Just force of habit on my part, blurting out the little I know about naval terminology. I went straight into boat modelling myself after 25 years hiatus. One of my greatest passions. If not the biggest. It´s a steep climb up the maritime hill, but I´m I´m learning something new everytime. If I was to become half as good as you,  I´d be very satisfied. 😙

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Autle said:

Ridiculously good, the level of detail is astonishing. I really like the colour palette and weathering not to mention the rigging which looks spot on. Just brilliant.

3 hours ago, Sky Keg said:

All of the accolades are well earned and deserved.  A true masterpiece!!!! :goodjob:

Mike

Thanks. I don't know about masterpiece, there are quite a few minor mistakes and blemishes, but from forest, you cant see every tree....

To be honest, as primary "aircraft guy", I'm still finding my "sea legs".... And with every build, I'm trying something new....

• Like 1

• 1 month later...