Ju 88 g6 Schoenert c9+AA *** finished ***

Walter

I will give this subject a go, been wanting to to do this for a while now. This boxing is very hard to source so I'll useHasegawa's G6 kit and after market antenna.

41-MFg4lq-Ah-L-AC-SY580-Dp-Weblab.jpg

Edited by Walter
  • Like 4

Hi @Walter I have not seen those extra antennae on the rear fuselage on any aircraft before - do you know what they did?   

Passive detectors for some sort of RAF emissions?  or another type of active device?

5 hours ago, stevesoutar said:

Hi @Walter I have not seen those extra antennae on the rear fuselage on any aircraft before - do you know what they did?   

Passive detectors for some sort of RAF emissions?  or another type of active device?

Hi Steve 

This plane was a test vehicle to determine whether the SN-2 would be less sensitive to 'Window' jamming, more effective in detecting high-flying bombers, and more efficient in detecting Mosquitoes approaching from behind and below.

On its maiden flight there was an electrical failure rendering the radar ineffective. There was no further attempt at duplicating this setup. 

There is a debate as to whether or not this plane was shot down. I an trying to find a photo of it crashed, I recall seeing it a while back... still looking!

Edited by Walter
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Walter said:

Hi Steve 

This plane was a test vehicle to determine whether the SN-2 would be less sensitive to 'Window' jamming, more effective in detecting high-flying bombers, and more efficient in detecting Mosquitoes approaching from behind and below.

On its maiden flight there was an electrical failure rendering the radar ineffective. There was no further attempt at duplicating this setup. 

There is a debate as to whether or not this plane was shot down. I an trying to find a photo of it crashed, I recall seeing it a while back... still looking!

Ok thanks @Walter - so a unique subject then - nice :thumbsup2:

Here we are

Ju 88G C9+AA

Notice, as the caption describes, the tail warning radar antennae are mounted horizontally projecting from the vertical fin. These don't seem to appear on the Hasegawa artwork above? Easily added to the model though. 

HTH

SD

A little further with black basing done.  I think I'm going to take a break from using this technique on the next few builds. It's a lot of work and I really wonder if I can achieve the same result with post shading/painting. 

20230120-170154.jpg

• Like 4

Laid down a few coats of rlm 76, the second and third coats have been very light with a 90/10 mix so as not to obscure all the had work in the base coat. It's very easy to take it too far but I think it's done. Next step is to use a slight darker version of rlm76 to create the well used look and use it to craft the mottling I'll then go back over it with rlm75.

Looking at the only photo of this plane it doesn't look like it has any mottling. I have been researching other 88's from Njg5 to get a better reference and there is a great variation in camouflage, no 2 planes look the same. 

Unfortunately the photos don't show the detail in paint variation. 

20230122-142907.jpg

20230122-142921.jpg

• Like 5

• Walter changed the title to Ju 88 g6 Schoenert c9+AA

Things have stalled, I forgot how delicate these hasegawa decals are and damaged staflen markings. I have attempted to fix it 3 times but it takes so much time to mask for each correction so I may not finish in time to find the right 

20230130-195622.jpg

20230130-195636.jpg

Edited by Walter
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 02/02/2023 at 05:54, Walter said:

Fug220 antenna ready for painting 

20230202-162119.jpg

These look great Walter - did you manage to solder all those joints ??     

I bet it will be a while before you want to consider making another brass antenna - I was so pleased when I could stop twitching & resetting mine (superglued - so you get one short chance to align it right) 

She gonna look awesome, but you'd better keep shut away from investigating fingers behind some glass - I would cry if someone picked it up by the body to take a closer look 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, stevesoutar said:

These look great Walter - did you manage to solder all those joints ??     

I bet it will be a while before you want to consider making another brass antenna - I was so pleased when I could stop twitching & resetting mine (superglued - so you get one short chance to align it right) 

She gonna look awesome, but you'd better keep shut away from investigating fingers behind some glass - I would cry if someone picked it up by the body to take a closer look 

Words of wisdom Steve. It's something you want to leave to the very end 😄.

I did the same used super glue. 

• Haha 1

• Walter changed the title to Ju 88 g6 Schoenert c9+AA *** finished ***