TBD-1 Devastator GWH

Ettore

Good morning everyone
My subject for this campaign will be a 1/48th scale TBD-1 Devastator from GWH in operation during the Battle of Midway 4-7 June 1942. As you can see from the open package it will be full of photoetched parts, but not all of them are necessary because the quality of the kit is very good; in addition to these aftermarket ones I found some Kelik 3D decals for the cockpit.

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_it

Happy GB everyone

Ettore :bye:

• Like 20

Hello everybody

As usual I started from the cockpit separating and assembling the main pieces; for the pilot instrumentation and the radio I will use Kelik 3D decals, for other details Eduard photo-etched parts.

As you can see I did some tests without glue and I must that it fits well

To the next developments!

• Like 17

Bit of "artistic licence" with the box art I suspect! I thought the TBD's were all shot down without causing any damage before the SBD's arrived and hit the carriers, unless of course it is meant to be the Coral Sea not Midway. Looks like a nice kit.

Pete

Edited by PeterB

Just now, Mark said:

OOh! That does look lovely! But you've already got me looking at buying this kit! :(

Get both and do a double-build Mark ;) Takes less time than doing them separately and if you're really fortunate there's enough room in the one box to fix both kits 'til you get started :D 

Nice! Having recently built the Monogram kit, I'm interested in seeing how this one builds. :popcorn:

I'm glad to see GWH put the SBD's twin 30cal mount instead of the standard single mount. But, it looks like the torpedo may have the pre-war fins, which is what Monogram provided. While appropraite for a yellow wings build, it wouldn't be right for Midway. Also, if you're going to build a VT-8 aircraft, the torpedos has an experimental stabilizer. All of this is visible in Ford's Torpedo Squadron 8 - Battle of Midway film.

1 hour ago, Mark said:

Memories of the 1/72 Airfix kit! Back in the day…

@Col. Hmmm…. 🤔

hmm You do know that I'm trying to reduce the stash! 😂

Always remember; W.W.E.M.D? Buy 'em all, build 'em all :D 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Mark said:

@Col. Go on then… W.W.E.M.D?

Ah, apologies Mark, it's the clarion call across all GBs when we are faced with the dilemma of choice on our potential subjects - What Would Enzo the Magnificent Do? The answer, of course, being Build 'em All!

Edited by Col.

Thank you for the small news that I read between the lines of your messages, this kit is pleasant to assemble, but inside the fuselage there are too many signs of ejection to mask, but once closed you will not see anything ...... We also discuss about building all your own kits, well I agree to make them, as far as possible all. I have 154 to do and I love them all, maybe less short runs from a few years ago, but they are kept there. I'm retired and therefore I have more time but I also have a family to follow and two other hobbies (fishing and flying with drones), my problem with the kits is that I also do reviews for an Italian magazine (Sky Models and Model Time) and so I get boxes every month......At 63, I don't think I'll make them all.....I'll also try to sell and/or give them away.
Thank you for your appreciation and see you very soon for more photos of the assembly.

• Like 1

Goodmorning

Finally some color!
first I gave green to the horizontal planes and then to the vertical ones; the green used is u Interior green by AK and then I gave a light pass of Interior Green Gunze, the latter is slightly lighter

The internal details of the fuselage are many, some signs of ejection could be annoying, but once everything is painted and closed you will not see anything, rather I have to look for documentation on internal electrical wiring and hydraulic pipes, can someone help me, please, with some image ?

And finally a small closing test

• Like 11

Hello everybody

Let's say that the main floor is finally finished with all the compartments assembled

The two internal half-fuselages, apart from the general coloring, still have to receive some details and paneling .........

See you soon for more updates

• Like 10

• 3 weeks later...

Good morning

After closing the fuselage.............. 

I dedicated myself to gluing the central section of the wings, another hell of a job; because the fuselage in width, in that area, was at least 5 mm wider.......damn, why? These Chinese !!.............in short, little by little, cutting and sewing, I managed to get a decent result, grouted everything I started primer step.

I took the opportunity to glue the engine as well

For the choice of the two shades of the coloring I had a look at the various books, but the one who inspired me the most is IPMS Stockholm, in which there are many color references, among other things a beautiful treatise on the interior USN, USAF and so on. other...........however the conclusion is that until all of 1942 the lower surfaces were in gray M-485 Light Grey.........here it is

The upper surfaces in M-485 Blue Grey.........here it is, but it doesn't make much with the blue background, today I'm trying to take pictures with a black or white background

That's all, see you next time

• Like 8

• 4 weeks later...

Good morning everyone

.... even if here in Italy it's 03:18 AM; I've finally been home for a few days and so I've resumed my work on the Devastator.

First I positioned the decals, unfortunately the ones in the kit were very bad, so I used the Eduards, but without removing the protective film because a disaster could happen on undulating surfaces.

After airbrushing the protective gloss I started the first dirtying, a little everywhere, even above and below the wings

The next step will be to redo the pilot sight, continue building and matting

Ettore

• Like 6