HMS Severn - River Class OPV (Batch 1) 1/350

I bought myself a Christmas present but unlike @Dmitriy1967 didn't wrap it up:lol:.  The eagerly awaited (at least by me) new offering, from Peter at Atlantic Models of the River Class batch 1 HMS Severn.  There'll be a Batch 2 along soon.  The novelty being that the Royal Navy some 80 years after WW2 have taken to painting these modern vessels in schmes paying homage to their forebears.  Rather like @JohnWS's HMCS Regina.

_120244433_hmssevern-fal02

2022 12 21_4417

And the first impression is just how big it is.  Here compared to the Flower Classs Corvette

2022 12 21_4418

The second impression is just how fine a moulding the hull and superstructure pieces are.  They are exquisite.  Far superior to the G class destroyer that I've built previously.  There were no moulding flaws and the detail is remarkable

2023 01 03_4442

The main body /hull comes as 2 pieces in that you cna model with the whole hull or just a water line version.  A beatiful etch fret accompies together with smaller resin moulded pieces and rather incongruoously by todays standards, a small bag of white metal detail pieces. 

2023 01 05_4471

A nice decal sheet completes the package.  Instructions are line drawn and there is a colour profile of HMS Severn.  (Other ships are available).  My only dispaointment was that up to receiving the kit I had assuned that the hull was white with Northern approaches green and a darker blue.  The photos are misleading, careful examination confirms that the hull is in fact Weatherwork grey.  Let's not forget that these are colour photos and it took me quite some time to work this out not having seen Severn inthe flesh.  what hope do we have really - when we pour over B&W wartime photos and conjecture the colour schemes when it's this hard with multiple colour imiages easily available :banghead:

I've been working on this for thee last 2 weeks whilst waiting for paint to dry on Eyebright.  I've decided to model this on a stand, and FWIW, all my modern RN vessels will be mounted.

The upper and lower hull pieces fitted really well and needed a minium of filing before joining.  I used epoxy glue

2022 12 30_4433

and then filled with putty and spent happy hours sanding to hopefully an invisible join

2023 01 03_4440

And whilst all this was going on I started on my 3rd vessel (who's retired then :evil_laugh:) in the form of the diminutive P200 Archer Class Fast Patrol Vessel, again from Atlantic modles and released some months back to no rel fanfare.  Think of this as an "amuse bouche" or more properly a proof of concept exercise to test out some ideas before commiting to Severn.

Hard to think of a simpler model - resin hull and superstructure with some resin rafts, RIB and an etch set of railings.  Sadly no decals but Peter advises using his 1/600 set of pennant numbers.

2023 01 03_4455

I've chosen to model HMS Puncer P291

980x551-new_fx130223038

And whilst not Puncher, here's a good ariel shot to get the idea of the deck layout

1 (1)

These have been in service some 20 years plus so that there are several iterations and layouts.  I'm modelling with the square rafts on the foredeck

Construction is simple.  Sadly the etch doors provided sit over the opening rather than within it - so I used some alternate doors from an Infini set that sat more naturally 

2023 01 03_4449

That left me a spare door for the rear hatch/doorway (which is not provided)

You can see it here together with a RIP and a scratched outboard.  Most recent shots show the Archer Class carring a large rectangular raft rather than the RIB on the rear deck, the RIB is more appealing

2023 01 03_4446

Most also carry a Casualty cradle that is well illustrated in this photo

980x551-new_fx110165008

I scratched that

2023 01 03_4447

Primer

2023 01 03_4448

2023 01 05_4473

Weatherwork Grey from colourcoats applied and then I'd like to thank @andrewa for an excellent tip in one of his historical WIPs that suggested using "marker pens" - Yes!!

2023 01 05_4470

You can get fine detail - it's impermeable and I think it works.  In fairness @Chris Hewitt also mentioned at Telford that he uses them for modern vessel windows, more on this later.

The Deck colour is slightly elusive bt this 50 : 50 combo gets close.

2023 01 05_4468

And YES those decals do work and really are the right size B)

2023 01 05_4469

More soon on Puncher and Severn

Thanks for looking

Rob

• Like 26

Very nice choice of subjects there Rob a couple of the Archer class are often seen near RNR calliope on the Tyne I will try and get down for some reference photos at the weekend if possible will also be placing an order to build HMS Tyne version of the OPV.

Stay Safe 

beefy 

• Like 2

Very cool. I had a look around HMS Archer in Aberdeen harbour when I was in primary school. There was a thing run by a university called "Young Engineers" my best friend's dad took him to and somehow I tagged along sometimes. I think the tour was arranged through that group. I'll admit as a child I expected HMS Battleship and was a little disappointed to find HMS Lifeboat but I was rather young at the time :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

On 1/5/2023 at 8:26 PM, robgizlu said:

I started on my 3rd vessel (who's retired then

About time that you embraced retirement, obviously listened to my pearls of wisdom when we spoke at SMW :giggle:.

Two nice subjects there Rob and being relatively modern, lots of colour photos about making schemes much easier than those in the b/w world.

Stuart

• Haha 1

On 1/6/2023 at 2:43 PM, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

I'll admit as a child I expected HMS Battleship and was a little disappointed to find HMS Lifeboat but I was rather young at the time :D

🤣 LOL      And no guns! What's a warship wiv no guns? 😧 But at least she's painted grey. 🙂

And Rob, I think I agree with you re the RIP/RIB. She's certainly a nice looking vessel.       Regards, Jeff.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 1/6/2023 at 6:43 AM, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Very cool. I had a look around HMS Archer in Aberdeen harbour when I was in primary school. There was a thing run by a university called "Young Engineers" my best friend's dad took him to and somehow I tagged along sometimes. I think the tour was arranged through that group. I'll admit as a child I expected HMS Battleship and was a little disappointed to find HMS Lifeboat but I was rather young at the time :D

Despite being the smallest ships in the Navy - compared to what I mess around in they are pretty large ;)

After Severn was primed - i went back and resanded where the primer had shown irregularities.

2023 01 10_4485

2023 01 10_4484

14 hours ago, Courageous said:

Two nice subjects there Rob and being relatively modern, lots of colour photos about making schemes much easier than those in the b/w world.

Stuart

Possibly a curse and a blessing Stu :lol: 

When i saw this pic I thought - Oh I'd beter have a go at making the Hawse hole raises that Peter had just left as straight holes. 

_120244522_hmssevern-fal08

Not easy though acheived with 0.3 plastric strip cut and sanded - CA Glued onto the hull and then sanded flatter again.  And then........I thought I'd better drill out the bow thruster channel - and add a prop which isn't supplied.  I eventually found a 4mm wide diameter prop, just the right size froom  Black Cat LCI kit, the value of a spares box.

2023 01 10_4481

2023 01 10_4480

2023 01 10_4479

More soon

Thanks for looking 

Rob

• Like 15

I keep looking at this one, but haven't got the spare cash just at the mo...but I'll probably find the money in the end :). Then, as you mention, there's the batch 2. Doomed.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, robgizlu said:

the value of a spares box.

Where would we be without the spares box eh looking very nice just got mine today will be making notes in that book again.  :book:

Stay Safe

beefy

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

The P2000 was built partly to try "windows" - using old 35mm negatives - the black bits that you get at the start of a film.

Jan 14 2023_4508

I'm pleased to say that I think it worked well.

Feb 22 2023_4565

Sadly the Severn moulding does not have specific bridge window "profiles"

Mar 05 2023_4613

In addition there are fine details that are not represented on the kit

P282-HMS-Severn-003

.......so some detailing and thought will be required here.

In the meanwhile I've decided to fit most of the railings at an early stage as per here.  You can aso see the bridge wing where I've scratched soome lifebuoy holders

Mar 03 2023_4618

I should also have mentioned earlier that I spent quite a bit of time "opening" the scupper holes and cleaning them carefully.  As it arrives they are infilled with a very thin layer of resin.  It's clearly well worth doing.

Mar 03 2023_4619

The mid level railings on the central superstructure were slightly out in measurement terms - Beware, it's the railing Not you if you build this.  there's no obvious solutionbut one side is definitley longer than the other by about 1.5mm.  (who's counting!)

Mar 03 2023_4620

Each of the ships in this class varied slightly.  There's an aerial mount on the sloping bridge roof.  Each of the aeriel mounts is drilled at this stage

Mar 05 2023_4614

For once the ladders bent beautifully and the steps were angled without drama, unlike my usual experience - they really are etched very nicely

Mar 05 2023_4612

Priming begins with Mig Ammo Oneshot

Mar 05 2023_4617

Mar 05 2023_4616

More soon 

Thanks for looking

Rob

• Like 19

Looking very tidy. I'm interested that you have put the railings on so early - makes sense, unless you're clumsy as me.

• Like 1

Was the thought of attaching the rails early just a preference thing Rob or is there a proven method for this.  🤔

I have tried both ways of late and having to mask the deck when the rails are on is a bit of a pain unless I am doing it wrong which is usually the case.  :doh:

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 3

10 hours ago, seadog said:

Looking very tidy. I'm interested that you have put the railings on so early - makes sense, unless you're clumsy as me.

9 hours ago, beefy66 said:

Was the thought of attaching the rails early just a preference thing Rob or is there a proven method for this.  🤔

I have tried both ways of late and having to mask the deck when the rails are on is a bit of a pain unless I am doing it wrong which is usually the case.  :doh:

Stay Safe

beefy

Hi Guys, I thought I'd give the railings first a try.  It might be easier to clean them up at this stage and it's possible the primer will act as a partial filler.  Beefy I'm going to try not to mask, but manage with the airbrush set fine.  We shall see :whistle:

Rob

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Railings first makes sense to me. Good clean contact surfaces for the glue and nothing in the way. The possibility of working on smaller simpler shapes is also a possible advantage. I'll be interested to see how it works out for you.

Do you use CA glue for railings or something else?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

Railings first makes sense to me. Good clean contact surfaces for the glue and nothing in the way. The possibility of working on smaller simpler shapes is also a possible advantage. I'll be interested to see how it works out for you.

Do you use CA glue for railings or something else?

Hi Don - you've nailed it.  I do use CA glue - I've never managed very well with PVA.

2 hours ago, Bobs_Buckles said:

Tip Top progress, Rob 👍

Question regarding Mig One Shot primer. Do you thin it? If so, what do you use?

Keep on keeping on 😉

Cheers,

Bob

Hi Bob

I thin with Mig Ammo thinners - Paint to Thinner = 3 : 1, same as for the Mig Ammo paint.  The needle still clogs occasionally.  All things considered The Mig One-shot primer is still the best I've used.

Regards

Rob

And BTW - whoever's got my resin Part No 9 - The 25 ton Crane base - Can I have it back please?  :rant::suicide:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

I'll be interested to see how it works out for you.

Actually, I'll be more interested to see how it works out for ME. (I have a resin and brass boat on the way to me right now. My first.)

Thanks for confirming your use of CA

• Like 1

It's a mystery to me how pieces get lost.  I have a wood floor and keep a seclusion zone around my desk, with the bin at least half metre away and store "things" in tupper ware boxes.  I'd like to ban all others coming in but that would definitely lead to domestic tension!  Somehow the rear winch was there and then it Wasn't :rant:  I invoke the opening lines from '4 weddings and a Funeral' thrice fold!

I wrote to Peter hall at Atlantic Models who incredibly kindly offered to stick a replacment in the post and refused payment.  There are Many nice people in modelling and never having met him face to face I am firmly convinced Peter is most definitley one of them.  Sir - you are a gentleman.  Je tu's en pris.

So meanwhile being utterly inpatient I had a go at scratching the piece 

Mar 08 2023_4631

Mar 08 2023_4633

Mar 08 2023_4632

Which actually turned out alright I think.  I've taken inspiration from @JohnWS

AK210012

Meanwhile I'd set to painting the hull and having used enamels so often recently had forgotten how so much less opaque acrylics are.  Sovereign colourcoats had no red available and modern RN antifouling is a rather garish red

IMG_0038

Mar 09 2023_4630

the problme about applying multiple layers of ANY paint is that you start to get a build up and "lip" against the maskin tape.  I didn't have an enamel red so had to buy some Humbrol to cover - that was an awful gloss - so I'm back to covering thta with enamels.  Sadly imperfections that went unnoticed at the bow bulb have appeared that will need sanding back :banghead:

Otherwise the theme for the last modelling 48 hours has been PE.  there's a lt in the kit.

I plucked up courage to have a go athe screws, and decided to leave them in the natural brass after seeing the hull pic showing them above

Mar 09 2023_4624

Mar 09 2023_4625

After being so used to 3D parts - it was interesting to fashion the 20mm cannon from PE - kudos to Peter - it comes out really well IMHO.  

Mar 09 2023_4626

Mar 09 2023_4629

Mar 09 2023_4628

Mar 09 2023_4627

Mar 10 2023_4642

And finally some bling was added to the bridge

Mar 07 2023_4634

More soon - Thanks for looking

Rob

• Like 11

And as a discursive addendum - thanks again to @Rich75 for suggesting Model Scenery supplies as a source of medium density "Cream" Styrofoam.  I ordered from them this week though in truth I had the last of the 25mm thick sheet.  It arrived and I'm sad to report that whilst it's white it is hard and analgous to the 4D Modelshop "Grey" styrofoam that WILL NOT deform under heat to create waves etc, or at least in a way as satisfactory as the Cream.

I emailed 4D model shop and had this reply back this AM.......

"Hi Rob,

Thank you for your email.

Unfortunately this is a discontinued line and we don’t have it in any thickness in stock. The 80mm Styrofoam is white and has the same density as the grey one.

We are sorry for the inconvenience this might have caused you."

Damn!!  And Blast.

I'm not certain I have found anything that resembles this though I acknowledge there are many building type Styrofoams out there.  

Let us know if youve found a source - the medium density is soft enough that when you press lightly with your finger into tthe surface it will leave a deperssion, the grey (harder) not so.

Rob

• Sad 3

Looking great Rob I will be doing Tyne but think I might just miss off the porter loo's.  😂

Yes peter is a true gentleman if you get the chance to speak with him at a show he always has time for any questions you might have a very knowledgeable person.

Bummer on the Styrofoam but I always use the building stuff I can recycle from skips and no my middle name is not Roland.  🐀

I bet when you complete the build tidy the desk that crane will turn up Sod's law in it.

Stay Safe

beefy

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Gingercoastie said:

Beefy66, I will also be doing Tyne as my son is the XO. I have a load of pictures from her time in Falmouth. I can share them with you if you wish. I know her paintwork is slightly different to Severn’s, I have not compared aerials etc yet.

That would be great Alex any chance you can send them in a PM it will be a while before I start as have a few other projects on the go at the minute.

Stay Safe 

beefy