New Tamiya kits announcement at Nuremberg toy fair in February 2023

Homebee

On 1/15/2023 at 9:25 AM, Missick said:

...The 1/48 Phantom "J" will be available as well...

1/32 Tornado GR.4 not for some 10+ years. Oh, You have Italeri.

Yes, reboxed Italeri with two stars on the front is possible.

I would be surprised if they didn't release a 1/48 new variant Phantom II this or next year. 

TBH, I'm more intrigued by what might be happening in China. Trumpeter, at one time, was alleged to be releasing most of the Century Series in 1/32 and we need a big Deuce and Six. Alas, that seems to have stalled although the Devastator is finally coming out after being 'new' in their catalogue for a whopping sixteen years, so who knows what's possible?

Tony 

6 minutes ago, tweeky said:

Looking at Youtube there's a video of the  2023 Tamiya catalogue page by page and there's a 1:32 scale Tornado GR4 with crew on there.

here

My surmise would be it'll be a reboxing of the Italeri kit.  Could be wrong.  It happens. :shrug:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mike said:

My surmise would be it'll be a reboxing of the Italeri kit.  Could be wrong.  It happens. :shrug:

It is the Italeri kit,  #25425.

No idea where the pilot figures included with it come from though!

Edited by IT_Man
Mistake corrected

11 hours ago, tony.t said:

Yes, reboxed Italeri with two stars on the front is possible.

I would be surprised if they didn't release a 1/48 new variant Phantom II this or next year. 

TBH, I'm more intrigued by what might be happening in China. Trumpeter, at one time, was alleged to be releasing most of the Century Series in 1/32 and we need a big Deuce and Six. Alas, that seems to have stalled although the Devastator is finally coming out after being 'new' in their catalogue for a whopping sixteen years, so who knows what's possible?

Tony 

I had hoped this, but they seem to have stopped now and not a One eleven in sight.

7 hours ago, Mike said:

Not this time.
It is, with some new figures to make it theirs.

I thought it an odd choice, but if they already have a partner deal in place with Italeri and all they are really doing in booking a production slot to have the kit shot then any sales will be worth it.

I think it will be cheaper than the Italeri boxing of the kit if you go to one of the Japanese retailer/resellers and tack it onto an existing "bulk" order, otherwise it will be as much if not more than the Italeri kit.

Quite nice for Italeri as Tamiya are willing to put their name on their kit.

I remember Phil Flory's review of the kit and what he said about its price and triple A manufacturers.
Worth a watch for a giggle.

• 3 weeks later...

Jadlam have issued an email with the following ‘new’ kits from Tamiya:

Tamiya 12037 Lotus Type 78 with P/E Parts 1:12 Model Kit (JPS)

Link to Jadlam site

Tamiya 35381 German Panzer IV/70A Tank 1:35 Model Kit
Link to Jadlam site

Tamiya 35382 German Infantry Late WWII 1:35 Figure Model Kit. ( No image provided)

Link to Jadlam site

2 New car models kits!
A fan favourite Porsche 935 in Martini livery & the Gordon Murray Auto GMA!

Tamiya 20070 Porsche 935 'Martini' 1:20Model

KitLink

Tamiya 24364 Gordon Murray Auto GMA T 50 1:24 Model Kit

Link

Don’t know if that’s it, but not exciting to an aircraft kit man 

• Thanks 1

Looks really good to me. It's not like there's a shortage of new high quality aircraft kits in various manufacturers ranges; you don't _have_ to buy them from Tamiya. New, accurate, 1/24 car kits of modern prototypes are another story, though, so three cheers for the GMA T.50...

best,

M.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cmatthewbacon said:

Looks really good to me. It's not like there's a shortage of new high quality aircraft kits in various manufacturers ranges; you don't _have_ to buy them from Tamiya. New, accurate, 1/24 car kits of modern prototypes are another story, though, so three cheers for the GMA T.50...

best,

M.

No shortage of high quality aircraft kits? Are you kidding? I mean there are literally no F-14 Tomcat models, period! None! Whatsoever! And who has even thought of making an F-4 Phantom? I had to scratch build mine from an old plant pot and toilet paper. Come on model manufacturers, step up will ya? 

🙄🙃

• Haha 5

At Shimbashi (Tokyo-JP) all the Tamiya novelties supposed to be on display at Nuremberg 2023 toy fair.

Source: https://twitter.com/T_Shimbashi/status/1620944464591323138/photo/1

Fn7-AY-Ka-IAEgus-N.jpg

Source: https://www.tamiya.com/japan/newstopics/2023/0110messe2023news/index.html

Scale models

- 1/35 - Deutsche IV Destroyer Tank/70 (A)
- 1/35 - German Infantry Set (late war)
- 1/24 - GMA T.50
- 1/12 - Lotus Type 78 (with etching parts)
- 1/20 - Porsche 935 Martini

Development in progress

- 1/72 - Lockheed Martin F-35A Lightning II

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

To the best of my memory this is the first time Tamiya have issued notice of a kit in development. So that must be a first.

Dick

• Like 1

I am disappointed.  I expected to see another F-4 version in 1/48, or another 1/48 new tool of something...  i guess the 172 guys will be happy with the F35, but after the 1/48 one, its kinda not a sexy splash new product year...

5 hours ago, Tokyo Raider said:

I am disappointed.  I expected to see another F-4 version in 1/48, or another 1/48 new tool of something...  i guess the 172 guys will be happy with the F35, but after the 1/48 one, its kinda not a sexy splash new product year...

Is the 1/72 F-35A the only new airplane announcement we're expecting, or might there be a surprise yet revealed?

17 hours ago, Tokyo Raider said:

Fourty-eighters have been given lots of kits recently (not only Tamiya) so it's high time for the Gentlemen's Scale, methinks. However, the topic of this forthcoming 1/72 release is not what I was expecting/wishing - they've announced wrong Lightning. Well, maybe one day we'll get it.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, DominikS said:

Fourty-eighters have been given lots of kits recently (not only Tamiya) so it's high time for the Gentlemen's Scale, methinks. However, the topic of this forthcoming 1/72 release is not what I was expecting/wishing - they've announced wrong Lightning. Well, maybe one day we'll get it.

I had to give up 1/72, because of age, and go to 1/48.  Perhaps more modellers are too as we all get older.  48ers have alot recently, and it really got me back into the scale.  I was hoping for a Tamiya 1/32 P38, that would be incredible.  The Tamiya 1/48 p38 is the best model ever made in my opinion.  The way it simplifies build of a very complex subject is remarkable...  and enjoyable!

I still have bad memories of trying to build 1/72 P-38's!!!

So hopefully Tamiya will fix that for you inch high guys.

37 minutes ago, DominikS said:

I share your disappointment. It seems it's not going to be a good year for 1/72 WW2 enthusiasts. Well, at least good models from Eduard and Arma Hobby, Bf 109 F & G and P-51D. And we don't know yet what the IBG secret item is. 

6 minutes ago, Tokyo Raider said:

The Tamiya 1/48 p38 is the best model ever made in my opinion.  The way it simplifies build of a very complex subject is remarkable...  and enjoyable!

I suffer from this curse of preferring 1/72. I've got stacks of extremely good 1/48 kits, Tamiya P-38 among them, but too many of the kits I build are awful 1/72 short run kits. 

The Academy 1/72 P-38 goes together well, but it's a far cry from a Tamiya kit. 

Edited by TheKinksFan
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Tokyo Raider said:

I had to give up 1/72, because of age, and go to 1/48.  Perhaps more modellers are too as we all get older.  48ers have alot recently, and it really got me back into the scale.  I was hoping for a Tamiya 1/32 P38, that would be incredible.  The Tamiya 1/48 p38 is the best model ever made in my opinion.  The way it simplifies build of a very complex subject is remarkable...  and enjoyable!

So hopefully Tamiya will fix that for you inch-high guys.

I knew a very nice gentleman who in his 90s still built 1/72, so I don't think age has anything to do with a chosen scale. Myself, I have poor sight but I still build in 72nd (I sometimes build in 48th too,. In my opinion, we just choose one scale (although some just build kits and don't care about their size) and do it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DominikS said:

I knew a very nice gentleman who in his 90s still built 1/72, so I don't think age has anything to do with a chosen scale. Myself, I have poor sight but I still build in 72nd (I sometimes build in 48th too,. In my opinion, we just choose one scale (although some just build kits and don't care about their size) and do it. 

Well, i just had cateracts in both eyes, and you loose dexterity, and control of your hands, but my eyes were the worst.  I finally quit building.  Just had surgery and i see 20/20.  Now started building a Tamiya 1/48 P47 as my first kit back!  My eyes are not fully healed, but had to start building!

I build on average 16 to 18 1/48 kits every year over last 4 years.  When I was still in 1/72, I could make only 2 to 4 kits a year until frustration drove me to other hobbies.  I am having alot more fun and enjoying the builds more in 48th.  So just chalking it up to age.

I have a massive stash in 1/72, and I am not parting with it!  Collected kits for 35years in 1/72.

17 hours ago, sinnerboy said:

wahoo .... a monorail train 🤩

It looks like it either comes with a circuit of track, or you can buy more.  I actually quite liked the look of it, and thought it might be interesting to build a small track around my work desk to keep me amused during meetings :)