Iwata Micron users

Ty89m

Hey all,

I've been scouring the various forums and YouTube videos trying to pin down which Micron might be ideal for my (and our!) uses as a scale modeler. I've had the itch to grab a Micron for a while now, and think I'm finally ready to take the plunge. For those of you who use a Micron, which model are you running? I'm between the new Takumi with 0.18 needle, and the CM-C Plus with 0.23. The CM-C Plus seems like the best all-around choice for my use, but it'll cost me about $100 more than the Takumi. I mainly use Tamiya and AK real color paints, and have also picked up some MRP to test out - and I'm really curious if the 0.18 needle of the CM-B/Takumi etc struggle with these paints?

I'm well aware of the PS-771 as well, and while I'm still considering going that route to save some cash, I know long-term that itch for a Micron won't be scratched if I opt for the 771.

For reference, I currently use the HP-CS, HP-C+, and a PS-290.

If any Micron users can share your experiences, it'd be very much appreciated!

Thanks!

I have the 0.18mm top feed brush and am getting used to it. It can handle modern paints with fine pigments that easily dissolve with no problem such as Tamiya Lacquers. I would never use any of the latex paints such as the old aero master acrylics or Klear. 

I bought mine to do the bits that my other brushes cannot manage well such as really fine lines. Cheaper brushes can cover large areas pretty much as well. You can use your Ferrari to do the weekly shop but it will be not better than a Golf after all.

I have the CM-C v2 with 0.23 needle. It's a joy to use but to honest I seldom use it as my other airbrushes seem to do what I need and I'm wary of damaging it for some reason. 

I have a Olympos I got off ebay years ago sold as new, the finish is no where as good as the Iwata, this purchase was after their heyday and the seller refunded half the cost due to the finish, worked out at £60. That sprays as good if not better than the Iwata and I'm not bothered about damaging that one.

I really think you don't need to go lower than .2 for spraying modelling paints 

1 hour ago, Scimitar F1 said:

I have the 0.18mm top feed brush and am getting used to it. It can handle modern paints with fine pigments that easily dissolve with no problem such as Tamiya Lacquers. I would never use any of the latex paints such as the old aero master acrylics or Klear. 

I bought mine to do the bits that my other brushes cannot manage well such as really fine lines. Cheaper brushes can cover large areas pretty much as well. You can use your Ferrari to do the weekly shop but it will be not better than a Golf after all.

Thanks for your input, nice to hear it'll shoot the paints I typically use. I too want it for free-handing camo, pre-post shading etc. Seems it would round out my collection, and might even allow me to part with my HP-C+ due to redundancy (which recoups some funds in the process)

24 minutes ago, colin said:

I have the CM-C v2 with 0.23 needle. It's a joy to use but to honest I seldom use it as my other airbrushes seem to do what I need and I'm wary of damaging it for some reason. 

I have a Olympos I got off ebay years ago sold as new, the finish is no where as good as the Iwata, this purchase was after their heyday and the seller refunded half the cost due to the finish, worked out at £60. That sprays as good if not better than the Iwata and I'm not bothered about damaging that one.

I hear ya, the Micron parts aren't cheap by any stretch...shooting without the air cap on could be risky in case of drops etc. I'll have to check the Olympos brushes out. Thanks!

3 hours ago, Greg B said:

It the Iwata CM reboxed. There is a newer version out now, have a sweep on eBay, its significantly cheaper than a CM.

Yes, the PS-771 is still being considered, and I'll likely end up with both at some point - but having never had the opportunity to try a Micron, my curiosity is getting the best of me. I just wanted some feedback from modelers who run a Micron (as opposed to artists/illustrators) to get some first hand feedback. 

I am a confirmed CM-B v2 user and currently am running 3 for differing paint types.

See here for my initial experiences: https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235070771-iwata-custom-micron-cm-b-v2/#comment-3638533

The Pro Con air brushes are also very good and I have a 770 which sprays very nearly as well as the Micron but to me is far more clumsier in use, I don't like the flow valves on my airbrushes having mine on my hose, the large cup is also clumsy and I never need that much paint when using the 0.18 needle, the Micron just fits my hand so much better and is much easier to wield so the 770 hardly gets touched now.

The 771 needles do work in the Micron with a slight edge degradation which in most modelling circumstances is not an issue.

Edited by dromia

18 hours ago, Greg B said:

well, no issues whatsoever with my 771. It’s exceptionally good to use and very consistent. Perfect for detail and weathering 

Excellent, glad to hear the 0.18 in the 771 works well with the paints we tend to use. I'll most likely pick one up purely from a value perspective - that and the fact that I've read nothing but glowing reviews for that model.

15 hours ago, dromia said:

I am a confirmed CM-B v2 user and currently am running 3 for differing paint types.

See here for my initial experiences: https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235070771-iwata-custom-micron-cm-b-v2/#comment-3638533

The Pro Con air brushes are also very good and I have a 770 which sprays very nearly as well as the Micron but to me is far more clumsier in use, I don't like the flow valves on my airbrushes having mine on my hose, the large cup is also clumsy and I never need that much paint when using the 0.18 needle, the Micron just fits my hand so much better and is much easier to wield so the 770 hardly gets touched now.

The 771 needles do work in the Micron with a slight edge degradation which in most modelling circumstances is not an issue.

I've read through your thread a few times now, which has provided some helpful feedback. Anyway, your remarks on the PS-771's size is precisely why I'm leaning towards the new Micron Takumi, as it's much more compact, and the trigger is much closer to the nozzle - I feel like that extra bit of control would do me some good :)

As mentioned above, I'll likely end up with the Mr. Hobby Procon as well at some point, as I have a tendency to collect airbrushes at an alarming rate!

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
On 1/5/2023 at 10:15 PM, colin said:

Same here, had the Micron CM-C+ for many years but have hardly ever used it as I found it was more finicky than my normal HP-C+ which could do 99% of the same work. My next AB will probably be a Procon.

Duncan B

Airbrushes of that type were originally developed for illustrators using inks. Certainly a complete waste of time for anything other than lacquers as far as scale modeling is concerned. And even then…

Not in my experience, my CMs 0.18 needles spray enamels, my main paint, wonderfully. I also use Mission Models paint and again it sprays them wonderfully.

The airbrush has no idea what paint you are using, as always you just need to get the thinning right.

Yet again we have the theory dismissed by the practice.

People still use enamels? Wow. Thought they went the way of the Dodo. 

I spray lacquers, and can spray a hairline with a .5 brush. Lots of people out there thinking buying a Micron will make them an artist. If only it were so. 

Certain paints take better to thinning than others. 

Edited by CFster

• 2 weeks later...

Having just seen the current UK RRP for both the Iwata Micron and the Mr Hobby Airbrush Custom I know which I'd be buying for painting bits of plastic!! Glad I got mine when it was a "reasonable" £300ish, even the Iwata Hi-Line HP-CH has doubled in price from when I bought mine, really makes the Mr Hobby brushes look like excellent value.

Duncan B

On 04/02/2024 at 07:07, CFster said:

People still use enamels? Wow. Thought they went the way of the Dodo. 

I spray lacquers, and can spray a hairline with a .5 brush. Lots of people out there thinking buying a Micron will make them an artist. If only it were so. 

Certain paints take better to thinning than others. 

Still use Humbrol Enamels and a Hairy Stick