Sea Vampire F20

And to complete my trio of FAA V-fighters we have a Sea Vampire, again from the CyberHobby stable. 

resized_e9532661-2eef-4541-bef2-d83e4d0b

• Like 8

Sorry if the pictures aren’t showing, Village Photos sometimes is a little challenging, it works fine on iPad and if on a PC right clicking apparently works.

A start with the Sea Vampire with the obligatory sprue shot, beautifully moulded but the cockpit interior is a little odd. Also the really nicely moulded drop tanks look a bit on the fat side

resized_99030ea1-ae4a-4f7b-bd92-3debac0b

Colour call outs and transfers for a number of Extra Dark Sea Grey over Sky aircraft in the development squadrons. 

resized_f66d85b3-b22a-4754-98e0-6fa6a406

First up was to get some paint on. 

resized_0151350b-c9ff-4557-96dd-76b3d7b0

and then the cockpit parts fitted in. It looks odd with no control column and a sort of offset console. It is as was the way of British post war jets a black hole so not much will be seen but the canopy is nice and clear. I’ll have a ponder. so far I’ve drilled a central hole for a control column and I’ll dig out some seat belts. 

resized_f0c34c70-fa18-4f81-8aea-8b435d29

• Like 3

Seat added with some Tamiya tape belts.

resized_86e7913d-ee8e-475b-b99e-3796becf

The interior is brightened up a little with some dry brushing and the strangely side positioned control column moved to the centre. It looks better but the ‘instrument panel’ looks more like the control desk of a diesel locomotive!  

resized_1da006e2-68ea-4730-9e80-4bb6c753

Though once the fuselage is closed up there’s not much to see. 

resized_4256c0d5-4115-47d2-93c3-02d6adc2

I checked the wing joints and they’re really good so I’ve started to paint them up which should eliminate the need for masking the demarcation. 

resized_a52625dc-6775-40d3-a4d0-b01382af

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

I’ve had a bit of a mojo failure the past couple of months, as well as having a busy old time at work (despite retiring last August!). After a nice holiday I’ve got back to dealing with the V-fighters. The Vampire is the most straightforward so I’ve finished layering on paint and closed up the fuselage. Nearly made the basic schoolboy error of forgetting to put some nose weight in. Fortunately, remembered at the last minute. 

resized_432f24b4-31af-49e3-ab72-a63daa84

Then the remainder of fuselage parts and tail booms on. I think once dried I’ll add the flaps and then finish painting and put the transfers on before adding the undercarriage and other sticky out parts. The fit of everything is really good. There’s a smear of filler near the intakes and that’s it. 

resized_da4d3f26-407c-41e8-8e8b-6403999b

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Some cleaning up, some more Sky paint, and after the photo masking started. 

resized_2bc4a0be-f0da-4087-97c8-07baa093

Then disaster has struck! I’d dipped the two canopy parts in Kleer and left them for a few days to dry. Beautifully clear when taken out the box for masking using an Eduard mask. I masked the main part of the canopy and then when I went to do the windscreen it had disappeared. Absolutely no sign of it all despite a long search of 5he table, the floor, the chairs and pretty much everywhere else in 5he room. Everything paused until I can find a solution. 

• Sad 5

I found this in a box in a corner with some wrecked kits from a long time ago. It’s a Revell/Heller Vampire that I was converting into a Sea Vampire. Hopefully I can clean it up and fettle it onto the CyberHobby kit. 

resized_11fe2eed-c779-45e6-9231-0bde0ede

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, 825 said:

I found this in a box in a corner with some wrecked kits from a long time ago. It’s a Revell/Heller Vampire that I was converting into a Sea Vampire. Hopefully I can clean it up and fettle it onto the CyberHobby kit. 

I love a cunning plan!

I hope this one works.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

A month after the canopy loss, I was walking round the dining room (where I do my modelling work) and stood on something sharp. Picked it up and here was the lost windscreen!  I had searched this area and the room has been hoovered at least 3 or 4 times. It’s not often the carpet monster gives its booty back. 

resized_5e02d538-2020-4fc2-927f-8224198d

Too late to complete in the GB but I’ll transfer this to a WIP. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/14/2023 at 7:12 PM, Dave Swindell said:

They are embedded, but they're hosted on an unsecure site which some browsers won't show - I can see them in Firefox but not in Edge

I mailed them asking why they use an unsecure site. Not very impressed by that.