Lynx HAS3 - Gulf War XZ230 - Hobby Boss 1/72 (modified)

Another one from me today. This is Hobby Boss 1/72 Lynx which has been augmented with the old Airwaves Gulf War set, a couple of Sea Skua from the Airfix NATO Weapons set, replacement resin sponsons, plus part of the engine bay cover from the Neomega Super Lynx set.

52608089087_4df47f9752_b.jpgUntitled 

52608088902_34e6c3805d_b.jpgUntitled 

A couple of tweaks were made to the base kit - as has been noted the main rotor sits significantly too high above the top of the aircraft but this is a relatively easy fix to trim away some of the bottom of the rotor assembly. Hobby Boss have also, in my view, done a poor job in representing the prominent upper door rails on the real aircraft that jut out markedly from the fuselage side. I ended up using rails from a trashed Airfix Lynx, which were trimmed down a little (Airfix have them a little large to accommodate a working door). Bulged cockpit doors were sourced from another HB Lynx which is destined to be a donor kit for a Wildcat.

52609086163_09052fb0b8_b.jpgUntitled 

I used the Neomega replacement engine decking as this incorporates the "cow horn" intakes that were found on this and later model Lynx, however I thought that this was too slab sided and ended up cutting it up and just using the small section with the cow-horns on, preferring the kit effort for the rest. The weapons pylons were a combination of the kit part with scratch built outer sections. 

52608088857_456c1a1f1e_b.jpgUntitled 

Decals were from a combination of an old Modeldecal set, spares box and the kit. I did a major boob with the Union Jack - the Modeldecal ones have the white section as clear so the Dark Sea Grey shows though - I could not find a pic of XZ230 showing this and other pics of GW Lynx show this as white so I ripped off the decals and replaced them with ones with a white background. A couple of days later I found a splendid colour photo of XZ230 while leafing through Fleet Air Arm Helicopters Since 1943, showing that Modeldecal was correct 😣. Cue some very painstaking painting over of the white sections of the flag!!! 

Hope you like!

Pat

52608088867_8344d45c72_b.jpgUntitled

52608089142_f48ae1cff7_b.jpgUntitled 

52609011575_b955c68405_b.jpgUntitled 

• Like 43
  • Thanks 2

I very much like the mods you did on the HB Lynx. Very good result. 
the more I think about the HB Lynx, the more I come to the conclusion that It can only be turned into a proper Lynx if you bash it with some Airfix parts as you did. 
Did you also interchange the sliding doors with those from Airifx? I always think that HB‘s sliding doors windows are too small. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, troschi said:

Did you also interchange the sliding doors with those from Airifx? I always think that HB‘s sliding doors windows are too small. 

They are the HB doors - the Airfix ones are very thick and I didn’t have the will to thin them down for this build!! I think for an accurate Lynx you would probably end up with a kit that was mostly Airfix tarted up by bits from the HB one. I took a pic of the upper door rail area of the Lynx at the Museum of Army Flying , and compared it to the HB effort, and there was very little similarity!!

thx for all the kind comments.

Pat

On 1/9/2023 at 5:36 PM, Winded Penguin said:

Looks terrific 👍

and is that a sandpaper based diorama?

Thank you!! Just a bit of wood covered in stuff used for doing model railway tarmac - I suspect it is paper with very fine wood chips dyed grey glued to it 😃

• Thanks 1