Airfix 1/72 Nakajima B5N2 "Kate" x two FINISHED

Davek72

I didn't actually put my name down for this but hopefully there is still room on deck.  One of my New Year resolutions is to enter as many GBs as I can...I will tell you at the end of the year how many that it!

A long long time ago....ok actually probably about 2016 I picked up this set.

52607635285_30242aa81a_b.jpg

I don't actually remember why.  I don't tend to build models from the Pacific War...no particular reason just have always focused on European British and German builds when doing WWII builds.   Anyway I have a vague recollection it was a bargain.   I built the Zero at the time but the Kate and the Warhawk remain intact....or at least I hoped so.   In a move at some point the box split open and everything ended up everywhere.   Some time later I stuffed everything back in the box but without checking it was all there...until tonight.  Good news is it is and on the basis that the Kate must qualify I am going with that.

The sprues:

52606708642_11180c774e_b.jpg

The only scheme:

52607208431_fbb020b64a_b.jpg

As always all comments welcome.  Cant wait to get building.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 13

On 1/12/2023 at 1:46 PM, Bertie McBoatface said:

I'm very impressed by Airfix moulding the lower wing and cockpit in a single piece. I'm curious now to see how well it all fits together.

Its certainly looks good on the sprues....will show you how it works in practice shortly 😉

It has been a busy week and a bit.  My eldest Thomas turned 10 last week and we had the party and family over this weekend...net effect not too much time for modelling but I have got this far:

52628356812_34350b9b73_b.jpg

52629123649_d9b8229a83_b.jpg

The moulding and fit is great.  Not sure about the decals!   However I am 99% sure not much will be seen when we close up.  The interior green is Vallejo Air.  Not sure if my bottle is a bit old but it took about 4 coats to get the shade you see above.  Weathered with a sepia and then black Games Workshop wash.  Some steel wear marks added.

Also build the engine....

52628894116_76b078ca04_b.jpg

Finally and most importantly a massive thank you to @TonyOD who very kindly send me another Airfix Nakajima kit which arrived this morning.   The condition of sending was that I build it as a dual build 😉   He may have mistaken me for @Enzo the Magnificent....

Thank you @TonyOD I am going for this scheme with folded wings and a torpedo...

52630951887_8243f243a3_b.jpg

Cheers

Dave

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Davek72 said:

The condition of sending was that I build it as a dual build 😉 

That wasn't actually a condition, I thought if I was sending you the decals you may as well have the plastic 😁

Anyway happy to hear it's arrived and looking forward to seeing your brace o' Kates!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TonyOD said:

That wasn't actually a condition, I thought if I was sending you the decals you may as well have the plastic 😁

Anyway happy to hear it's arrived and looking forward to seeing your brace o' Kates!

Cheers

Tony

Either way you are a gentleman…let’s see where the build gets to.

• Like 1

On 12/01/2023 at 15:46, Bertie McBoatface said:

I'm very impressed by Airfix moulding the lower wing and cockpit in a single piece. I'm curious now to see how well it all fits together.

I'm at the moment just finishing my build. Everything fits very well, I think this has been one of the most hassle free and enjoyable Airfix builds. Luckily I still have another and a B5N1 in the stash. This years measly one 1/72 release makes one long for those years when Airfix released plenty of new tool 1/72 kits:

2010 5 kits

2011 4 kits

2012 10 kits

2013 6 kits

2014 5 kits

2015 8 kits

2016 6 kits

But then, since 2017, only two or three 1/72 new tools, and this year one one. 

• Like 3

I won this one at a club meeting 4-5 years ago.  Now you have got me wanting to build it!   I will try to resist the urge, so I can first finish the other three kits  I already committed to build for this GB!

I’ll just follow your build thread  closely, taking notes…..

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 1/18/2023 at 1:55 AM, RC Boater Bill said:

I won this one at a club meeting 4-5 years ago.  Now you have got me wanting to build it!   I will try to resist the urge, so I can first finish the other three kits  I already committed to build for this GB!

I’ll just follow your build thread  closely, taking notes…..

spacer.png

Go on you know you want to....

• Haha 1

Another week another dollar...or pound...but maybe not much modelling time.  I have made a start on Kate No.2.

52640479630_33b1fbf3ca_b.jpg

As you will see the wings have been sliced...very easily.  

I also decided the build the cockpit completely before painting by airbrush.   Might be easier that the previously approach.

Dave

• Like 5

On 04/01/2023 at 20:58, Davek72 said:

I don't tend to build models from the Pacific War...no particular reason just have always focused on European British and German builds when doing WWII builds.   Anyway I have a vague recollection it was a bargain.

I got the same set from The Works, great value as it was cheaper than the Kate kit sold singly. And you got 10% off in the store for collecting it yourself.

Looking good.

John.

17 minutes ago, johnd said:

I got the same set from The Works, great value as it was cheaper than the Kate kit sold singly. And you got 10% off in the store for collecting it yourself.

Looking good.

John.

John you have just jogged my memory and I think I also picked the original kits at the Works!  

• Like 1

Made some good progress over the weekend…well for me anyway!

52642927333_9374ea8ae1_b.jpg

52645303148_eab02e9455_b.jpg

Kate on the left and the wings have been undercoated.  Kate on the right is still in progress.

Am going to pause there for a couple of days.  Realised I didn’t have all the colours I needed so have splashed out on these to give them a try…

https://ak-interactive.com/product/wwii-ijn-aircraft-colors/

Have heard good things and love trying out new modelling gear 🙂

Cheers

Dave

• Like 9

So the new AK Interactive 3G paints arrived Friday and I found some time yesterday to have a play.   Very nice indeed.   Sprayed neatly but need to pay around with the settings a bit more.   Ended up with this.

52656167849_4d943109be_b.jpg

52656167864_be888b75e2_b.jpg

I hope I got the greens and the beige/grey the right way round 😉

Quite happy.   Now for some varnish and decals.

Dave

• Like 13

• Davek72 changed the title to Airfix 1/72 Nakajima B5N2 "Kate" x two

I have spent what time I had this week at the workbench adding the decals.  They all went on very nicely and I am quite pleased with how they look.

52668476931_430f3ff13d_b.jpg

52668912460_86c5d5a4da_b.jpg

52668487736_b262b43265_b.jpg

52667977617_a1b4a0f09f_b.jpg

Slight issue with the leading edge of yellow.   Will tidy that up.

52667977682_54668f1fba_b.jpg

I also masked the canopy.  Feeling a bit silly.  As I had two builds going I bought two sets of masks. I needn't have as the P-Masks set has different masks depending on which canopy you are using and I am using two different canopies.   Anyway if anyone is planning a Airfix Kate build and wants a free set of masks please PM me.

52668476936_8eea1038db_b.jpg

Next step a coat of gloss and then some light weathering.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 9