Rubarb and Custard

Wonderful collection of Mustangs.  The end results of using the Montex masks is very impressive.  And, thanks for the warning to be careful not to stretch the masks out of shape of alignment.  That sounds like something I would do.  Really don't want egg-shaped decals on a non-egg kit.  Thanks for sharing this quartet.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, noelh said:

Just  noticed something. A minor  point perhaps. But  this thread  explains the red bands on the the drop tanks.

Duly noted! You learn something every day, from now on red bands on drop tanks will only be stacked next to the plane in a diorama setting!!

• Like 1

Hi bro
Oh man these are real treasures. Since I know that the Montex masks are to be enjoyed with caution, I can only say you have it on full. I tried it once and more or less failed, or say I was not satisfied with my result. Therefore, hats off to your result. A great quartet of Mustangs.
Greetings 
Andy 

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Andy Dyck said:

Hi bro
Oh man these are real treasures. Since I know that the Montex masks are to be enjoyed with caution, I can only say you have it on full. I tried it once and more or less failed, or say I was not satisfied with my result. Therefore, hats off to your result. A great quartet of Mustangs.
Greetings 
Andy 

Hi Andy,  thanks for your kind words and encouragement, the Montex masks were a challenge, they come with no instructions so  l watched an online tutorial, stripes we easy as was the serial no’s and codes, the national insignia no so easy, l  added them after the main colours but had to lay strips of Tamiya masking tape over the mask to hold them together while I transferred them into position, after that it was just a case of careful painting.

l would certainly use them again, given the thickness of Tamiya decals, it gives a much more satisfactory result!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A really impressive collection of Mustangs, I am so gobsmacked by your rhubarb & custard 'B' model that I have just ordered the Montex mask set from big 'H'.

Something I learnt from this forum about the Tamiya 1/48th P-51 kits was the pattern of rivet heads on the wings around the main wheels are an error by Tamiya, they were added to the F-51 Mustangs used during the Korean War as there were problems with undercarriage failures.  Unfortunately they added them to their WW2 kits as well.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

A really impressive collection of Mustangs, I am so gobsmacked by your rhubarb & custard 'B' model that I have just ordered the Montex mask set from big 'H'.

Something I learnt from this forum about the Tamiya 1/48th P-51 kits was the pattern of rivet heads on the wings around the main wheels are an error by Tamiya, they were added to the F-51 Mustangs used during the Korean War as there were problems with undercarriage failures.  Unfortunately they added them to their WW2 kits as well.

Hi Bob, thanks for your kind words and heads up about the rivets, never to old to learn, enjoyed using the Montex masks, only disappointment was the external canopy masks were not quite as accurate as l would have liked so l used an Eduard set, the internal masks were fine!

• Thanks 1

Just now, Farmerboy said:

enjoyed using the Montex masks, only disappointment was the external canopy masks were not quite as accurate as l would have liked so l used an Eduard set, the internal masks were fine!

Thanks for that, Montex masks can sometimes be a bit of a challenge.

• Like 1