1/72 - Republic F-84F Thunderstreak by Sword Models - released

Homebee

Hello,

found some time to look at Sword’s F-84F which I received yesterday.

Three points I’d like to share:

• The fuselage length is about 3.5mm to short. T.O.1F-84F-3 « Handbook Structural Repair Instructions » gives a fuselage length of 461inches (from intake lip to end of exhaust cover). That’s 162.63mm in 1/72. The missing length is between the rear end of the airbrakes and start of the fin.
  • As reported elsewhere on Britmodeller, there are at least 2 main wheel hub designs. One for the F-84F and one for the RF-84F. As far as I can see form pictures I have, Swords F-84F mainwheels are RF-84F style mainwheels. The pictures from Special Hobby’s forthcoming F-84F show, in my opinion, the correct hub design for a F-84F.
  • The front wheel has two different mudguard designs: One with quite fine mudguard braces and one with braces made from pressed sheet metal. Both designs can be found on the F-84F as well as the RF-84F. I suspect the sheet metal braced mudguard is of later design, maybe retrofitted to the F-84F/RF-84F fleets.

I’m happy for any further clarification on these topics.

Best Regards,

Martin

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
2 hours ago, Robertone139 said:

Has anyone done a side to side comparison with the Special Hobby kit, or for what it matters with the venerable Airfix or Italeri?

I have done both, i.e. Airfix with Italeri and the full-sized bird and then Sword vs. the aforementioned trio. Unfortunately, I was not able to compare the new SH kit with the three previous kits and the original a/c. SH treats Poland as a 3rd category market and for now this model is not available here yet.

On 2/24/2023 at 8:57 AM, KRK4m said:

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235040085-sword-172nd-rf-84f-thunderflash/page/6/#comment-3138489

At that time, I compared it with a life-size original F-84F from the Polish Aviation Museum in Krakow. And the wheels are not too big - on the contrary, they are too small (just like the whole area around them, i.e. the gear bays and their covers)...

Drawings of swept wings 84s circulating on the web are full of errors, including size errors. Years ago, I compared vintage Airfix and Italeri kits here with drawings and the original. https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235002180-recommendation-for-f-84f-thunderstreak-in-172/&

Against their background, Sword is almost perfect, but the word "almost" makes a difference. Interestingly, Airfix and Italeri give too big wheels...

Cheers

Michael

Edited by KRK4m
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Robertone139 said:

Has anyone done a side to side comparison with the Special Hobby kit, or for what it matters with the venerable Airfix or Italeri?

Here you go - top to bottom, Italeri, Sword and Special Hobby.

20231128-185225.jpg

Nothing glued yet (I'll save for the F-84 Group Build!) , just parts pressed together. 

Cheers,

Andre 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, KRK4m said:

I have done both, i.e. Airfix with Italeri and the full-sized bird and then Sword vs. the aforementioned trio. Unfortunately, I was not able to compare the new SH kit with the three previous kits and the original a/c. SH treats Poland as a 3rd category market and for now this model is not available here yet.

Cheers

Michael

Before you accuse someone, make sure you're correct. Moje Hobby shop had a batch of F-84F kits at the beginning of November, they apparently sold out quickly but long enough for the shop staff to take their typical inbox photos:

https://www.mojehobby.pl/products/F-84F-Thunderstreak-US-Sweep-Wing-Fighter.html

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I have this kit ordered in five LHSs in Krakow.

Exito, Phantom, Emodele and Agtom did not have it yet, and PJB (mojehobby.pl) only received a dozen or so pieces and only completed foreign orders.

That's why I'm still waiting, and I'm in daily contact with PJB.

And notice that Hannants has had plenty of it for over a month. Apparently, it is closer to London from the Czech Republic than to Krakow  😉

Cheers

Michael

20 hours ago, Hook said:

Nothing glued yet (I'll save for the F-84 Group Build!) , just parts pressed together. 

Cheers,

Andre 

The Italeri does look chunky when up against the other two!

27 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

The Italeri does look chunky when up against the other two!

Then again, it may be my crap photography. ;)

The SH also has a separate turtle deck and parabrake fairing under the jetpipe.

Cheers,

Andre