1/72 - Republic F-84F Thunderstreak by Sword Models - released

Homebee

2 hours ago, UberDaveToo said:

Any chance they'll do Thunderbird markings?

spacer.png

Hmmm. Would it be easier to provide masks for nose, tail and wing tips? And decals for the stars and standard marking. I know I would surely screw up the nose decals. Even if decals are provided I would probably prefer to paint the colours. 

Let's see. I bet Caracal or maybe somebody else would release the aftermarket sheet for the Thunderbirds. 

Edited by Dennis_C
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, Dennis_C said:

Hmmm. Would it be easier to provide masks for nose, tail and wing tips? And decals for the stars and standard marking. I know I would surely screw up the nose decals. Even if decals are provided I would probably prefer to paint the colours. 

Let's see. I bet Caracal or maybe somebody else would release the aftermarket sheet for the Thunderbirds. 

It'd be nice to afford one of those Silhouette cutters to make stencils. But I've always had better luck with decals than masking...

8 hours ago, Hook said:

The only downside to Sword is their limited production runs. ;)

Bring back the EF-10 and TF-9!

7 hours ago, Dennis_C said:

I'd really wish they bring back 1/72 Trojan and Talon

And the teardrop Griffon-Spitfires, please !!!

Cheers

Michael

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Republic F-84F Thunderstreak by Sword Models - released

I have five underway as we speak - four 146's and a non-Dutch 147 for good measure.  ;) 

Hopefully soon the weather will be good enough for me to be able to airbrush out in the garden, winter is usually a big standstill for me modellingwise. 

Cheers,

Andre 

• Like 1

On 2/6/2023 at 12:20 PM, Homebee said:

Sprues & decals

Both boxings also have small addendum decal sheets - the required second pair of white FU-154 codes for the Belgian bird (nose and tail), and tail serials for the 81st FBW instead of the duplicate buzz codes on the main sheet.

Cheers,

Andre

7 hours ago, Hook said:

Annd they're in!

First impressions are good. One strange thing I missed in the shots of the runners is the lack of outer wing pylons. 

Cheers,

Andre

Sword often leave off pylons. They are really the shell of the aircraft snd you need to add a fair bit of detail ;)… Having some Airfix spares, card and rod will help :) 

• Like 1

On 23/02/2023 at 19:55, KRK4m said:

There is indeed something wrong with this landing gear - I noticed it already with the RF-84F.

But in truth, you'd have to analyze the design of both the main and nose landing gear legs. Well, 90% of the photos show the F/RF-84F in the take-off configuration, with four (let's not be afraid of this word) oversized auxiliary tanks. In the take-off weight, the F-84F's own bare weight is only 48%, and the remaining 52% is the weight of fuel and armament. I do not know the exact stroke of the main leg shock absorber, but analyzing the photos you can see that the lower edge of the empty plane's engine nozzle is about 70-90 cm higher above the runway than in the plane ready for take-off. And here lies the problem of the lack of the angle of attack in the Sword model - the main landing gear is made in the empty aircraft configuration.

It's difficult for me to assess how big an impact this has on the geometry of the front landing gear, but just changing the angle between the fuselage and the ground will result in pushing the wheel slightly forward. And if that's not enough, you can still lengthen the diagonal puller lever.

Cheers

Michael

The extended main gear leg measures 6 feet 6 inches (other methods of measurement are available) from pintle to furthest extent of tyre. I measured it to check the size of trestle we would need.

• Thanks 1

On 2/8/2023 at 4:43 PM, bentwaters81tfw said:

I would need to see one. That fin looks a touch tall, and as per everyone else, decal numbers 29 and 30 lack the 81st wing Dragon in the centre. They have nothing, some show a horse. Nobody gets it right. And moulded in speedbrakes!

I would say Sword have got it right.

91st_Tactical_Fighter_Squadron_-_Republi

Sword illustrate the Belgium example with four wing tanks which is how I would like to model it, is there an extra sprue in that boxing to facilitate that does anyone know?

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, 71chally said:

is there an extra sprue in that boxing 

Nope. Both boxings are identical except the decals, without outboard pylons.

Edit: funny thing is, the instructions of both boxings show the smaller outboard tanks on the painting instructions. Go figure.

Cheers,

Andre

Edited by Hook
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, 71chally said:

91st_Tactical_Fighter_Squadron_-_Republi

Sword illustrate the Belgium example with four wing tanks which is how I would like to model it, is there an extra sprue in that boxing to facilitate that does anyone know?

No Dragon there!

19 hours ago, 71chally said:

If it is the same as the RF it is correct for tall fin variants. It is stated somewhere rlse that there are no outer pylons. Therefore raiding an Airfix kit is your option for that and the tanks. 

• Like 1

I've  been following all the chat here on the F-84Fs/ Rf-84 kits. I've built several representing all the nations that used the type using Airfix and a Italeri kits plus one PJ resin example but I didn't worry too much about any minor / major differences at the time. I hasten to add I don't have any of them anymore but have posted  images of the models here somewhere. 

However do any members here recall the 1/144 kits by Aeroclub? I had both but never built them.

1 hour ago, Paul J said:

I've  been following all the chat here on the F-84Fs/ Rf-84 kits. I've built several representing all the nations that used the type using Airfix and a Italeri kits plus one PJ resin example but I didn't worry too much about any minor / major differences at the time. I hasten to add I don't have any of them anymore but have posted  images of the models here somewhere. 

However do any members here recall the 1/144 kits by Aeroclub? I had both but never built them.

Built mine a while back. Nice enough  kit given the age except the two vac canopies in my example were very badly pulled, so knowing where to cut was a matter of guesswork. Didn't fit the metal plug that was included, and were too wide (as expected if not drawn down enough when moulded).

Paul.

• Like 1

And just to wet our collective whistles:

https://ronaldderoij.photo/history-of-the-royal-netherlands-air-force/service-history-of-the-f-84f-with-the-rnlaf/

I'd be remiss not to mention its recce companion - @ReccePhreak, are you listening? :)

https://ronaldderoij.photo/history-of-the-royal-netherlands-air-force/service-history-of-the-rf-84f-thunderflash-with-the-rnlaf/ 

C'mon, deep inside you all just know you need to build at least one Dutch Streak (or Flash). Admit it already. ;)

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 4

On 3/13/2023 at 2:21 PM, Hook said:

And just to wet our collective whistles:

https://ronaldderoij.photo/history-of-the-royal-netherlands-air-force/service-history-of-the-f-84f-with-the-rnlaf/

I'd be remiss not to mention its recce companion - @ReccePhreak, are you listening? :)

https://ronaldderoij.photo/history-of-the-royal-netherlands-air-force/service-history-of-the-rf-84f-thunderflash-with-the-rnlaf/ 

C'mon, deep inside you all just know you need to build at least one Dutch Streak (or Flash). Admit it already. ;)

Cheers,

Andre

Thanks for the call-out Andre. I hadn't looked at my F-84F & RF-84F kits in awhile. I have 1 Italeri 1/72 F-84F, 2 1/72 Italeri RF-84Fs and my Tanmodel 1/48 RF-84F. The Tanmodel kit was the last one I had started on (A few years ago), while the Italeri kits are all unstarted bagged kits (No kit boxes).  Not looking forward to rescribing them, may just sand down the raised panel lines & brush the kit with Testors Liquid Cement. I haven't decided on how to mark the 1/72 RF-84Fs, but the Tanmodel kit will probably be done in Greek markings.

Seeing as what's not included in the Sword kits, I won't be buying any of them. Thanks all for the heads-up. 

What's interesting (To me) is that I have 4 of the Promodeler 1/48 F-84G kits, most of which will be converted to recce versions from different countries.

Cheers,

Larry

Edited by ReccePhreak
Reworded post
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good morning 

I received my order yesterday (one box of each ref ) , it looks like a very nice kit .

Cheers 

Patrice 

That's nice to hear: I didn't doubt it and look forward to seeing some built :)

• Like 2