Airfix 1/24 Spit IX Aftermarket

Grizly

First let me state that I have the Airfix 1/24 Spit IXc and it is an amazing kit. That having been said, there is always room for some upgrades like Airscale's cockpit set and I was wondering if anyone has heard of upcoming detail sets by others like Eduard or anybody else?

I'm sure we will see some canopy masks from Eduard.....of course a complete resin cockpit would be a waste as the kit is fantastic.

Only thing I noticed that Airfix missed was the Radiator flap sidewall diagonal braces. Easy fix for modeler no aftermarket needed.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

To do an early IXc properly, it needs correct wide cannon blisters, a flatter top cowling, and quite a few early IX’s had Rotol Aluminium alloy (Dural) propeller blades, they are slightly narrower in chord and have rounded tips. They would also have had raised rivets on the fuselage. A Mk.VIII conversion would be nice, as there’s no mention of another boxing in 2023. It looks like it’s geared for a Mk.VIII, with the separate aft fuselage and recessed positioning inside the wing for the ident lights, you also have to trim off the mount for where the starboard gun camera would be, although I don’t see how they would tackle the fuselage ident light being further aft, without doing a new fuselage. The wings would also have the leading edge fuel tanks with associated filler caps and drains, and no ident light on the bottom, as well as the short span ailerons. It will be interesting to see what they actually do with a Mk.VIII version.

Cheers

Jeff

Edited by MrB17
Omitted data added
  • Like 1

Buchon models here in Norway are now offering an E wing conversion set in resin together with a decal set to make on of 3 Spitfires from Norwegian squadrons.

https://www.buchonscalemodels.com/products/132-bf-109f-spanish-airforce-decals3

https://www.buchonscalemodels.com/products/1-24-spitfire-e-wing-conversion

regards Toby

Edited by Planebuilder62
links added
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Planebuilder62 said:

Buchon models here in Norway are now offering an E wing conversion set in resin together with a decal set to make on of 3 Spitfires from Norwegian squadrons.

https://www.buchonscalemodels.com/products/132-bf-109f-spanish-airforce-decals3

https://www.buchonscalemodels.com/products/1-24-spitfire-e-wing-conversion

regards Toby

Very nice stuff at Buchon Models! Thanks for sharing.

Just to note: This set was not designed for the new Airfix 1/24 MK IX.

They say : "The conversion kit is tailored to the Airfix 1/24 Scale Spitfire Mk I and Mk V, but may also be used on Trumpeter kits with some adjustments."

It may work but I won't be the test pilot until someone tries it.... IMHO

Edited by Corky
  • Like 1

Thanks @Bozothenutter for putting us onto ANYZ products. I wasn’t aware of ANYZ, (now bookmarked) and after having a good browse I will be picking up some goodies. Resin parts are 8K high res printed and look stunning. Braided cables, in stainless and coloured, bolts with washers, nuts with bolt threads protruding, ignition harness parts, spark plugs, would really make the engine into a masterpiece. He has great galleries, videos and reviews and is very in tune with today’s technology. The prices are very affordable and if you’re lucky enough to have a 3D printer, the files can be digitally downloaded for very little cost. Although his line doesn’t have as much specific 1/24 as it does 1/32, 1/48, much of it is not scale specific. Germany based with very reasonable shipping costs, Wow factor is certainly there.

Cheers

Jeff

17 hours ago, MrB17 said:

Thanks @Bozothenutter for putting us onto ANYZ products. I wasn’t aware of ANYZ, (now bookmarked) and after having a good browse I will be picking up some goodies. Resin parts are 8K high res printed and look stunning. Braided cables, in stainless and coloured, bolts with washers, nuts with bolt threads protruding, ignition harness parts, spark plugs, would really make the engine into a masterpiece. He has great galleries, videos and reviews and is very in tune with today’s technology. The prices are very affordable and if you’re lucky enough to have a 3D printer, the files can be digitally downloaded for very little cost. Although his line doesn’t have as much specific 1/24 as it does 1/32, 1/48, much of it is not scale specific. Germany based with very reasonable shipping costs, Wow factor is certainly there.

Cheers

Jeff

Wait till you see (and try to use) the flip switches...😱

For some of it, it's better to drop down a scale. 

• Like 1