Ferrari 512 TR by fnick - Revell 1/24

Fnick

10 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Just gloss coat that Nick, it would look great. Well, different anyway....!! 🤣

Keith

Sorry Keith I was just opening the bottle of clear and I accidentally knocked the rosso Corsa bottle onto the Ferrari... Oops!

spacer.png

Oh well...😄😋

Nick

Edited by Fnick
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Fnick said:

So that's a least 4 people who have bad taste then! 😜

Nick

Or one person with no taste and a lot of money...

Your bodyshell is looking good once more, fingers crossed the paint is a bit more friendly to you this time.

• Thanks 1

May i suggest something which may assist in eliminating 'masking bleed'? Before applying the black, try spraying the wet edges of your masking with a coat of clear. That should seal any gaps with a non-intrusive tone and block the most of the black from following any capillarities. 

Nice build. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the advice Vanroon. I think I'm going to mask and brush paint the black areas next time. I do have some acrylic clear so I'll try and remember to brush the edges of the tape first!

Nick

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Fnick said:

I'll try and remember to brush the edges of the tape first!

That's what I do. Try and remember....!! 🤣

Seriously though it is a good idea and usually works well. :)

Keith

• Like 2

Evening all

Once again thank you very much for the comments and encouragements. 

The clear coat is now done. Thanks again to @Lvp for the correct thinning ratios. I did two dry coats followed by 3 wet coats.

bit of dust in the clear and some orange peel but soooo much better than my first attempt. I have to admit I was settling for my first attempt despite my efforts at polishing just because I was impatient to crack on with the build...☺️

as the saying goes: "that'll learn you!" 😄

so here is the clear mark 2

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

This will probably be the last entry for a while as I have done all the minimum amount of airbrushing required. The rest will be all brush painted. I will now turn back to the Aventador in the hope that I get all the airbrushing done on that before the weather turns...

Thanks for looking, Nick 

• Like 13

• 2 months later...

Afternoon all

Time for an update! I've been holding off getting some hobby storage until I had been given the go ahead by SWMBO to have a hobby desk. So after much searching I purchased the following from greenstuffworld.

spacer.png

And a few hours later...

spacer.png

All good to go! So back to the build...

Looking at some pics of an empty engine bay (courtesy of detailing world.co.uk)

spacer.png

I was not happy with the kit offering so scratch build the reservoir on the left which I am assuming is the oil reservoir?🤔

Here is what I started with

spacer.png

And the end result

spacer.png

I also spotted that the bulkhead is supposed to be aluminium and also took the opportunity to paint the pipes in the same colour as the photo. I also decided to scratch build the top pipe with the cable ties (but without the connector in the middle) just to add a bit more detail

spacer.png

And I have just realised that one of the cable ties decided to run away and some touch ups are required... 😄☺️

Next steps will be to glue the engine in and then carry on with making the connectors for the braided lines.

Thanks for looking, Nick 

Edited by Fnick
  • Like 8

Don't know if you watch much youtube Nick, but Harry Metcalfe of Harry's Garage has just got his Testarossa back from a bit of restoratioon and posted a video about it yesterday. I have to admit I've never really been much of a fan of the car (or its successor), but have warmed to it a lot since watching the vid! Might be a nice bit of inspiration for you;

Keith

PS - nice workspace!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

Don't know if you watch much youtube Nick, but Harry Metcalfe of Harry's Garage has just got his Testarossa back from a bit of restoratioon and posted a video about it yesterday. I have to admit I've never really been much of a fan of the car (or its successor), but have warmed to it a lot since watching the vid! Might be a nice bit of inspiration for you;

Keith

PS - nice workspace!

If you haven't watched it already, it's worth digging up the video when he takes the Testarossa to the Sahara desert. It's a long trip that shows what the car is really good at.

As a kid I was a Countach fan, and still am, but I've always liked the Testarossa whenever I've seen one and it seems to be a proper GT, much more liveable than the Lambo.

• Like 1

I don't think I've ever fully forgiven the Testarossa for being wider at the back than the front, the result of which was that as a kid the Matchbox version always ran crabbing down the toy car racetrack and so was absolutely cack, routinely being absolutely thrashed by the yellow Mercedes school bus 😲

Nice start on the engine bay, quite a bit of good detail going on there. I bet you're glad to be getting back to having a permanent workbench again too.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Morning all

This weekend's progress. The engine is in! I also added more pipework. I would have added the other braided line on the left but I broke the connector... not a biggie since I had to make some for the right hand side.

Merciless close pics as always

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for looking, Nick

• Like 12