Resin printed 737-200 - First attempt

Hi all, new member here (^_^)

I've always liked collecting 1/400 diecast models, but unfortunately they come off as expensive and hard to find.. Not to mention, options are extremely limited especially for people like me who fancies classic obscure airliners, particularly a heavily weathered, Merpati 737-200. But it seems that no 1/400 diecast manufacturer has produced weathered models, yet.

And so I have started to build my own 3D printed aircrafts in 1/400 scale. First results weren't too good, but once I got my hands on a resin printer, I was very impressed with the workability around it - I can't express how overjoyed I was to be able to sand them down to shape!

YbfAFvg.jpeg

After years of trials and errors I couldn't hold back to cram as much details as possible into this model.. After making decals, I modelled flaps down on the wings, and made pitot tubes and windshield wipers just for the heck of it ; )

kcJ1w3H.jpeg

4wVktqq.jpeg

Finally after a month, it's finished! An old, half abandoned and obscure Indonesian airliner. 

tghXSF6.jpeg

9rELiLt.jpeg

K1HmjxQ.jpeg

invKbC7.jpeg

6knETQ7.jpeg

Hope this tiny model belongs here! It's not perfect, but I'm quite pleased with the results (>_<)

Cheers,

Nico

Edited by A300F
ommited 1/400 in the title because it sounds like a prebuilt diecast model (^_^;)
  • Like 61
  • Thanks 3

• A300F changed the title to Resin printed 737-200 - First attempt

It's absolutely wonderful, what a lovely way to introduce yourself. Welcome to the forum Nico, I'm looking forward to seeing more of your amazing work.

Richie

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Kampartiger said:

That's a stunning Boeing 737 and you have done exceedingly well in casting it. The result of your hardwork is astounding. Btw it has been quite a while since I last heard about Merpati. Too bad it folded up in 2014.

Very much appreciated! You're right, I've heard news that it's planning to start up again last year but failed as well..

Quite a shame because their planes are missed by a lot of us here (^~^)

Welcome on BM 

What an impressive entry to the forum,that 737 looks just awesome,hard to believe this is 1/400,so an extra 👍👍👍👏👏 from me.

Hope to see more of your work here.

Thanks for sharing

Alex

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Alex1978 said:

Welcome on BM 

What an impressive entry to the forum,that 737 looks just awesome,hard to believe this is 1/400,so an extra 👍👍👍👏👏 from me.

Hope to see more of your work here.

Thanks for sharing

Alex

Many thanks Alex! Hope my builds can keep up with a lot of the gorgeous 1/200 scale models here (^_^)

Just now, Lifeline said:

Wah Merpati!

Still saw glimpse of it whenever I land in Juanda Surabaya..

Very nice model.. You really got the classy shape of 737.

Did you also print the flaps and decals?

Cheers,

Mario

Thank you!!

The hangars and training facility are still open there iirc (^~^)

The flaps were made from tiny seperate resin plates I printed, which were then glued and sanded. It's a long and tedious process, but I think it's worth it! 

Decals were all made and by me~ ^_^

That's amazing! Impressive weathering even at the 1/400 scale!

I'm dipping my toes into resin 3d printing as well, and it's unbelievable!

You mentioned sanding- Did you turn on anti-aliasing in your slicer? I resin printed an exhaust, and the difference in smoothness with anti-aliasing on and off is HUGE.

spacer.png

• Like 1

Just now, alxzinbox said:

That's amazing! Impressive weathering even at the 1/400 scale!

I'm dipping my toes into resin 3d printing as well, and it's unbelievable!

You mentioned sanding- Did you turn on anti-aliasing in your slicer? I resin printed an exhaust, and the difference in smoothness with anti-aliasing on and off is HUGE.

spacer.png

Thank you! It took years of practice so I'm quite used to it (^_^)

That's awesome - resin printing really pays off especially for modellers like us! As for sanding, I use a mini grinder pen as well as folded sandpaper to shape and smoothen the model to my intended shape. 

I haven't tried anti aliasing my models yet because I'm worried it might affect some shapes, such as slots for the wings.. But after seeing your results, I've got to give it a try now! (>_<)