MSFU Sea Hurricane IA 1/72 *Finished*

Rafwaffe

11 hours ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

I guess it's glued to the upper wing now and not removeable from the outside?

Yes. Unfortunately I cannot remove the inboard flaps without pulling the wings off and apart…

Edited by Rafwaffe
  • Like 1

Next is some layers of lightened Extra Dark Sea Grey to reflect the apparently faded grey on the original  from the sun and sea.

Arma Hobby Sea Hurricane -/72

the original: (I think/working on  faded EDSG and DSG)  only think I’m not sure about is the covers to the gun bays high look like bare metal or a different lighter colour… or maybe it’s a trick of the light…

Hurricat Hurricat

Edited by Rafwaffe
Typo
  • Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

This is a good way to start the weekend :D 

6 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

Looking very nice in TSS with the Sky spinner! I need to do one of these, too!

Yes you do Mark. There can never be too many Sea Hurricane models ;) 

• Like 1

Arma Hobby Sea Hurricane 1/72

Maybe got a bit carried away with the drybrush. Not sure where I went wrong but the landing lights have been a right pain to get in and had to hack and cut just to get them to fit. Lots of kristal Klear being used just to get them looking hopefully ok…

• Like 5

Just a thought.  Lots of talk about extensive weathering.  But apart from lots of salt spray, would these aircraft actually have that much weathering given that many of them only had service lives of a few days from the time that they were craned onboard to the time they ended up in the ogwash?

I have no photographic evidence to back up that suggestion, it was just a thought.

Nonetheless, this is looking really nice.

• Thanks 1

These aircraft would travel back and forth across the Atlantic on the bow of a merchantman as launches weren't all that common.  They would weather.  The one additional thought, of course, is that faded roundel colours are also needed...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

All good thoughts and some learning done during this build that will help when I revisit it again. Still keen to get a scale hurricane on a catapult one day! 

faded roundels are a good idea next time given faded chipped and weathered camouflage.. 

23 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

These aircraft would travel back and forth across the Atlantic on the bow of a merchantman as launches weren't all that common.  They would weather.  The one additional thought, of course, is that faded roundel colours are also needed...

Thanks Graham, very happy to be corrected on this one.

Although I don't currently have access to my usual research library , I did some internet digging and found this fascinating report in US Navy Proceedings magazine which recorded that over the two year programme that the CAM ships operated, there were only 8 operational launches from 170 sailings.  So yes, they would have spent much longer strapped to the catapult that I had originally envisaged.

My apologies if my original post misled anyone but in my defence I did caveat it by saying I had no evidence to back up my comment!  Note to self: check facts before posting!

The RN also carried catapult fighters but these were usually Fulmars.  I don't think that they were any more used, but perhaps were more common on the UK-Gib run where the extra flak on a warship - even an auxiliary - would be welcomed.  I'm afraid I know nothing about their use.

Sea Hurris for the CAM ships had a base in Canada, so I suspect they would be taken off for overhaul and replaced for each voyage - but maybe not.  They would still cycle through the fleet, with time.  However, remember that even CAM ship SHs were in good condition when first mounted.