Harrier GR.3 Recon Pod

goon

Hi Gang,

I got a 3D printer for Christmas, with the aim of making a 1/24 Vinten recce pod for my Harrier. Has anyone got any drawings I can use?

Many thanks for any help,

Gareth 

My CAD model scaled at 99.2 inch long by 17.4 inch, so slightly fat by the dimensions above.  Not bad, I think, as I traced it from a photo I took in 1983!  I'll rescale it slightly. 

Thanks for the Topic 1G extracts John, the stencil/decal detail is really useful. 

Does any one have pics of the pod with the doors open to change film?  

Thanks

Tim

• Like 1

John ( @canberra kid ), thank you so much for the recce pod data, and especially for that TAV-8A drawing. I have had the Kinetic 1/48 T-Harrier kit in my stash for quite awhile, with plans to build it in Royal Thai Navy markings. I read somewhere that the refuelling probe is longer on the T-Harrier, which makes sense, since the fwd fuselage is longer. Now, with the data on that drawing you posted, I see exactly how much I have to extend it. :worthy:

Even though the drawing shows a recce pod on the T-Harrier, I am quite sure that Thailand did not use it on their 2 T-Harriers (Or even their single seat Harriers).

Larry

• Thanks 1

• 10 months later...

@canberra kid The photo links seem to have been broken, would it be possible to upload them again?

I'm working on the pod in 1/72. I know that they come in the Airfix kit, but I'm drawing them in Fusion 360 to print as I think I can get better fidelity that way.

Thank you very much for the help!

Hoops

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hoops said:

@canberra kid The photo links seem to have been broken, would it be possible to upload them again?

I'm working on the pod in 1/72. I know that they come in the Airfix kit, but I'm drawing them in Fusion 360 to print as I think I can get better fidelity that way.

Hoops

Will do.

• Thanks 1

On 12/1/2023 at 3:56 AM, Hoops said:

Hoops

I think this was everything photo bucket has deleted?

Cam Pod 4 Cam Pod 3 Cam Pod 2 Cam Pod 5

John

• Like 1

Thank you very much John,

I can tell know that the panels are little bit more complicated than the six concentric rings around the main body that Airfix has on their rendition. I suspected that was the case after seeing some photos with the access hatches open, and now I know where to place them.

I appreciate your help, and happy modelling!

Hoops

• Thanks 1

@canberra kid 

Hi John, Here are the fruits of my labor:

53390051875_d558868c63_c.jpgHarrier Vinten Recce Pod v2_2 by J2Hoops, on Flickr

53389615666_cc1ec78730_c.jpgHarrier Vinten Recce Pod v2 by J2Hoops, on Flickr

I know there are some panel lines and latches missing, but I am OK with that. A lot of it will be lost with the dark paint and hiding between the gun pods.

Thank you again for the help!

Hoops

• Like 3

On 12/11/2023 at 2:58 AM, Hoops said:

@canberra kid 

Hi John, Here are the fruits of my labor:

53390051875_d558868c63_c.jpgHarrier Vinten Recce Pod v2_2 by J2Hoops, on Flickr

53389615666_cc1ec78730_c.jpgHarrier Vinten Recce Pod v2 by J2Hoops, on Flickr

I know there are some panel lines and latches missing, but I am OK with that. A lot of it will be lost with the dark paint and hiding between the gun pods.

Thank you again for the help!

Hoops

Looks good to me. Well done.

John

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

As ex 4Sqn RAF Gutersloh in the 80s we were a recce squadron.  I am currently building the airfix GR3 and wondered if anyone knew where i can get a 3D file for the recce pod and the outboard pylon LAUs. nfor the sidewinder and phimat pods.