Revell 1/32 Hawker Hurricane new tooling.

Hi folk's it's been a thing with me the last few years to start the year with a big scale build last year it was Trumpeter's Mig 3 but this year probably the kit I've been

looking forward to for a couple of year's since it was first announced.I am an unashamed fan of the Hurricane and probably built more in various scales over the years

than any other aircraft closely followed by the Bf109.so box art to set the scene.

20230102_162957

Now no doubt the die hard Hurricane enthusiast's will pick over the bones of this kit but so far no howler's have come to light on review's I've seen but time will

tell.Now price,I'm tight as a drum with buying kits but if I wanted to build this I knew I'd have to shell out the £42 asking price at my LMS but with for example

Airfix's 1/72 Buccaneer was sitting on the shelf at £36:99 That's not too bad and let me tell you the box is crammed with superb moldings very very ICM like in

style and texture.

20230102_163229

Anyway that's about it for an introduction build begins soon.

• Like 19

1 hour ago, stevej60 said:

build begins soon.

Useful WIP here

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/mainly_military/1-32-new-tool-revell-hurricane-t13214.htm

my main comment would be they should have used the mould space  making the dropped flap gimmick, as they were only dropped on the ground for servicing them,  and instead have included bomb carriers and drop tanks, which would cover the main bits to do pretty much any RAF or Commonwealth Mk.IIB

a few points
the decal options are early Mk.,II's, which still have the straight tailwheel leg,  usually associated with the Mk.I

h100.jpg

from 

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235099841-hawker-hurricane-mkia/

Most of the airframe details shown are applicable to all Hurricanes except very early and fabric winged. 

easy enough to fix, replace knuckle with a straight rod.

The kit has the tropical vents in the panel below the cockpit,
these
3Y7rV5Kl.jpg

they became standard on later production, but again not on ones used in Europe until the became standard, anyway easy to remove.

Finally, revell recommend the cockpit to be all grey green, which is wrong for the vast majority of IIb's,  the only grey green bits should be the rear seat bulkhead and upper cockpit walls, the rest is aluminium paint.

for a fuller run down on interior colours, see here

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234963507-all-the-hurricane-questions-you-want-to-ask-here/page/2/#elControls_1682406_menu

It really needs rewriting, but it does collate all the information on this I know of.  

one last detail, the builder in the link
"I'm less sure about the carburettor intake, I know this larger version was used on some late Hurricanes, just not sure about a IIb. "

I suspect this rubbish is from the error riddled and not to be trusted Valiant Wings Airframe and Miniature book. 
ALL Mk.II's have a Merlin XX engine (as do Mk.IV's despite what every reference says)  which need a deeper radiator and bigger carb  air intake. 

From the look of it @stevej60 you should enjoy this,  be interesting to see how you get on with it.

HTH

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Just now, mick b said:

According to Tony O’Toole on Facebook it contains Sea Hurricane parts so another boxing in due course hopefully.

Mike

Kit is set up to do multiple versions,  with parts trees for most of the common parts and then ones for wings and fuselage.   Along with the Seaa Hurricane belly panel, It also has 20MM cannon barrels, so I would not be surprised for the next version to be a Hurricane IIC and/or Sea Hurricane IIC. That just requires a set of C wings.

To do a Mk.I  will require new fuselage, wings and detail parts, as in spinner, radiator and carb intake.     

• Like 7

11 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

From the look of it @stevej60 you should enjoy this,  be interesting to see how you get on with it.

Thanks as ever for the info Troy may be calling on your knowledge as I progress.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, AliGauld said:

Ooh I'm looking forward to seeing this one come together.

With that in mind Ali I'll try and highlight any issues,last night I made a start cleaning up the cockpit component's there are already a couple of issues worth noting!

• Like 2

Evening folk's here are the cockpit parts before painting and assembly take note the seat is made up of four parts as was the rear bulkhead and armoured headrest,personally

detailed enough for me but no doubt the AM guys will be lavishing some sets soon enough.

20230103_175937

A great decal sheet is supplied but there is a lot of AM sets already available out there.

20230103_180114

Now for those with this kit or planning to buy it the plastic is soft and very workable but I feel a couple of the sprues especially containing these parts were softer than the wing and

fuselage ones and would suggest your sharpest blade when cutting of those items that cant be accessed with modelling cutters a couple of items snapped removing them!

• Like 15

Hi folk's assembled the cockpit framing and primed it along with what will be seen of the cockpit in interior green,I masked off the upper portion  of the fuselagethen sprayed on

Vallejo aluminium as a base for the detail painting to come.The seat has been sprayed aluminium and rear bulkhead green.

IMG-20230104-WA0002

• Like 19

Hi folk's the rest of the cockpit has been added and painted I was in two minds weather to paint and detail  the instrument panel but glossed it and used the supplied decals

which seems to work well,the seat has dried overnight and now is well stuck to the rear bulkhead so harness to add then gunsight and stage one is complete.

20230107_181957

• Like 25

On 1/2/2023 at 7:10 PM, Troy Smith said:

Kit is set up to do multiple versions,  with parts trees for most of the common parts and then ones for wings and fuselage.   Along with the Seaa Hurricane belly panel, It also has 20MM cannon barrels, so I would not be surprised for the next version to be a Hurricane IIC and/or Sea Hurricane IIC. That just requires a set of C wings.

To do a Mk.I  will require new fuselage, wings and detail parts, as in spinner, radiator and carb intake.     

Please please please a IID 6 squadron can-opener

• Like 3

That's looking very good indeed. It looks like a very good kit. Below the instrument panel does the compass get added later? Apologies if that's a really dumb question.

Richie

• Like 1

Evening folk's cockpit almost done only the reflector gunsight and compas to add before buttoning up the fuselage,Revell have really done a great job on the cockpit which I think will suffice for the majority of modeller's be carefull sliding the seat assembly in to place it takes a bit of twisting and turning.Many will invest in an AM harness no doubt but I'm happy with painted tape and a sharp pencil!

20230108_190045

20230108_190142

• Like 27