Airfix 1/72 Sherman Firefly

Hi, Folks, it's been a while since I've posted anything on here.  It is both a change of scale and off my normal subjects.  Yes, I've finally made a Sherman. 

y4mOhnNeTi4fSmg2ERVlWWa9c01ClmMilhbQLusR

I couldn't resist the Lidl (or was it Aldi) specials and bought the Airfix starter kits of the Sherman and Tiger.  I've only got a couple days leave left so I wanted something quick.  Quicker than I thought as I started it yesterday afternoon and finished it already!  

y4m-jYBOwBTP6PjhhUHVQyiHj2xYeqW3E_XCbD3R

It is nearly OoTB.  The only changes were: losing the bow gun (why oh why Airfix), drilling out the end of the barrel, turret texture using Mr Hobby 1500 and a stiff brush, and made light guards using wire.  I didn't use the paint supplied - I used Ammo by Mig SCC15.  The gloss varnish was Quick Shine, matt varnish by Vallejo, the pin wash is oil paint and turps, and the pigment was Ammo by Mig Dark Earth.  And I wanted to do the white underneath of the barrel since seeing it in a photo once.

y4mj11u_wQQi1bpqa_4FoYgiPXSnS46jIxWR2DAY

y4m1TUtCvUlXvdCm9nYXhUwRdqZNgXKpohrsiw_t

y4mhiihG95qo7V1YVNmPO9lZmXAEE5-sAzidAnTv

y4m870qwXofk2ycwHHO1vje6dFzVObeOnt5UotaY

I really enjoyed the kit, especially for £6.99!  It's simplified - it was only two sprues.  For instance the running gear and tracks were in one piece.  It's not particularly accurate but a fun build nevertheless. 

Bill

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Big_Bad_Bill said:

The only changes were: losing the bow gun (why oh why Airfix),

It shouldn't have one. It's a Firefly. The bow gun position was deleted and the space used to store extra ammo.

That aside, nice job.

John.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, 3DStewart said:

I like this a lot.

I'm not familiar with the kit.  How did Airfix handle the tracks?

Thanks.  The tracks come moulded as one piece with the wheel and sponsons.  I thought they would be more awkward to paint than they turned out to be.  According to Scalemates, the non-starter version (A02341) comes with both the one piece track and running gear and also link and length track (and a pistol port!).  It's still got the bloody bow machine gun though.

• Like 1

That's nice! I had one in my basket when I popped in to my new local Lidls for something different to do  But 'er indoors 'oiked' it out and told me until I have exhausted my stash I can't buy any more kits.

Little does she know, but I have 2 Beagles and a Beaver waiting for me at next club meet.

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, Big_Bad_Bill said:

Thanks.  The tracks come moulded as one piece with the wheel and sponsons.  I thought they would be more awkward to paint than they turned out to be.  According to Scalemates, the non-starter version (A02341) comes with both the one piece track and running gear and also link and length track (and a pistol port!).  It's still got the bloody bow machine gun though.

That is a very nice build! I built that kit in Canadian markings for last summer’s Canadian Group Build.  (I like your weathering better than mine!)

I had the basic kit, without the extra paints- it did give me two sets of running gear.    I took photos comparing them-  you can see them here:

Edited by RC Boater Bill
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, RC Boater Bill said:

That is a very nice build!  (I like your weathering better than mine!) I built that kit in Canadian markings for last summer’s Canadian Group Build.  (I like your weathering better than mine!)

I had the basic kit, without the extra paints- it did give me two sets of running gear.    I took photos comparing them-  you can see them here:

Thanks. It's amazing what a little bit of pigment does. I like yours as well.  

37 minutes ago, Hairtrigger said:

Great result.   Do you intend to get the Tiger?  What's the consensus on the Tiger via Lidl?  Not done any research on this latest kit via Airfix as yet.

Thanks. I did indeed got the Tiger as well but I've not even opened the box yet. I watched a build video on YouTube and it looks about the same. Simplified for a starter kit with all-in-one running gear but good nevertheless. 

nice job, you bought that from Lidl this year? they only ever sem to have planes and ships whenever I go in.

btw for anyone looking at the airfix firefly the kit. it comes with the part to block off the machine gun port, it's just the box art and instructions that are wrong. so you could build it with or without the machine gun.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, sardaukar said:

nice job, you bought that from Lidl this year? they only ever sem to have planes and ships whenever I go in.

btw for anyone looking at the airfix firefly the kit. it comes with the part to block off the machine gun port, it's just the box art and instructions that are wrong. so you could build it with or without the machine gun.

Thanks.  Yes got it a few weeks ago.  That explains why the instructions show adding the machine gun and in the next illustration it shows the blanking piece in place.   A02341 looks a tidy kit and would be my go it if I was looking for a 1/72 Firefly - this was impulse buy because it was there and cheap.

• Like 1

On 1/2/2023 at 4:21 PM, Bullbasket said:

It shouldn't have one. It's a Firefly. The bow gun position was deleted and the space used to store extra ammo.

That aside, nice job.

John.

Maybe there's method in the  Airfix madness. Add a new tool turret and you have a standard M4A4 Sherman??? 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, noelh said:

Maybe there's method in the  Airfix madness. Add a new tool turret and you have a standard M4A4 Sherman??? 

Yep, suspect that was exactly the thinking which makes sense. With this being a simplified kit I assume it was just the blanking plate was on the sprues not supplied.

52 minutes ago, Hairtrigger said:

My wife has just brought in the Tiger, Firefly and the Me 109 did the 109 some time back, but will do it again wheels up this time - ah bless her.

You lucky lucky bar steward.......As it happen I've just been given the Airbourne Jeep and Cutty Sark buckshee.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/2/2023 at 4:10 PM, Big_Bad_Bill said:

Hi, Folks, it's been a while since I've posted anything on here.  It is both a change of scale and off my normal subjects.  Yes, I've finally made a Sherman. 

y4mOhnNeTi4fSmg2ERVlWWa9c01ClmMilhbQLusR

I couldn't resist the Lidl (or was it Aldi) specials and bought the Airfix starter kits of the Sherman and Tiger.  I've only got a couple days leave left so I wanted something quick.  Quicker than I thought as I started it yesterday afternoon and finished it already!  

y4m-jYBOwBTP6PjhhUHVQyiHj2xYeqW3E_XCbD3R

It is nearly OoTB.  The only changes were: losing the bow gun (why oh why Airfix), drilling out the end of the barrel, turret texture using Mr Hobby 1500 and a stiff brush, and made light guards using wire.  I didn't use the paint supplied - I used Ammo by Mig SCC15.  The gloss varnish was Quick Shine, matt varnish by Vallejo, the pin wash is oil paint and turps, and the pigment was Ammo by Mig Dark Earth.  And I wanted to do the white underneath of the barrel since seeing it in a photo once.

y4mj11u_wQQi1bpqa_4FoYgiPXSnS46jIxWR2DAY

y4m1TUtCvUlXvdCm9nYXhUwRdqZNgXKpohrsiw_t

y4mhiihG95qo7V1YVNmPO9lZmXAEE5-sAzidAnTv

y4m870qwXofk2ycwHHO1vje6dFzVObeOnt5UotaY

I really enjoyed the kit, especially for £6.99!  It's simplified - it was only two sprues.  For instance the running gear and tracks were in one piece.  It's not particularly accurate but a fun build nevertheless. 

Bill

A beauty. Quick shine? Is that the floor polish?

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, markoid said:

A beauty. Quick shine? Is that the floor polish?

Thanks. It is indeed. I got it from Lakeland years ago. Is cost something like £13 for 750 ml bottle that will probably out last me. I read loads of posts about using Klear and someone commented on using Quick Shine so I gave it a go.

Bill

On 02/01/2023 at 16:21, Bullbasket said:

That aside, nice job.

John

Hi,   So the basic kit does not come with the blanking plate and you made one up ?   

20 minutes ago, Hairtrigger said:
On 02/01/2023 at 17:21, Bullbasket said:

That aside, nice job.

John

Hi,   So the basic kit does not come with the blanking plate and you made one up ?   

Sorry, @Hairtriggerare you asking me or @Big_Bad_Bill, cos if it's me.....I haven't a clue what's in the kit. 1/72nd is waaaaaaay too small for my clumsy fingers.

John.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hairtrigger said:

If you don't mind me chipping my oar in, yes the kit does come with the blanking plate. I'm not sure what Airfix's plans were/are but the presence of the bow MG made me think they might be planning a standard Sherman V at some stage.

1 hour ago, IanC said:

If you don't mind me chipping my oar in, yes the kit does come with the blanking plate. I'm not sure what Airfix's plans were/are but the presence of the bow MG made me think they might be planning a standard Sherman V at some stage.

Hi.  Can't see it in the starter kit version.... Simple to make though.

5 minutes ago, Hairtrigger said:

Hi.  Can't see it in the starter kit version.... Simple to make though.

Ah, right. I built the full fat version which came with two sets of tracks. If I remember right,, it was not illustrated on the instruction sheet but was on the sprue! 

• Thanks 1

Looking at the instructions on Scalemates they mysteriously have you fit the bow gun (part B17), but then it morphs into a blanking plate in the rest of the instructions, theres no indication of a part no. for the blanking plate though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1