Stealth Stash

Fnick

When you finish a model, keep the box. Buy a new model and put it in the old box. That way it looks as though your stash never grows!

Moderators, please feel free to move this to the modelling tips section...

I'll get my coat...😁

Nick

• Like 3
  • Haha 11
  • Sad 1

You'll need to move for your own safety, as my wife's starting to put a lynch mob together at this very moment!!!!!

Once, when, under interrogation, about the size of my stash, I told her that I was storing some for a friend, to which she replied, "Don't be stupid, you've got none!".

Great idea though 😄.

Chris.

• Haha 13

3 hours ago, Fnick said:

When you finish a model, keep the box. Buy a new model and put it in the old box. That way it looks as though your stash never grows!

I'll get my coat...😁

Nick

That'll work for one of the kits I buy for every one I finish - what about the other 9? :fool:

• Haha 8

I must be lucky then, as I've never had to lie about my stash.  Most of it is on display in the workshop, and I don't get any rolling eyes when another kit arrives.  I don't quite understand why everyone's spouse/partner is so against you all getting models to play with? :hmmm: Are you raiding the food shopping budget?  If it doesn't affect the family finances, it shouldn't matter, surely? :confused:

• Like 8

My better half knows exactly what I have in the stash, and where it is in the house... No need to hide it, no need to sneak any kits in pretending they are another raffle win, or anything else. In fact, I tend to discuss with her what I'm buying, or want to buy, so that she can make a record in her secretive way that she does, for Birthdays and Christmas presents (she also does that If I happen to mention any books, CD's  or Blu-Rays that I may like during the year!)

But then again, I've just had to do an inventory of all my kits and aftermarket for insurance valuation purposes. Just renewed our house and contents insurance, and when we realised just what the value of my stash was if we had to replace it, we decided to do a complete inventory. We are also doing this for all of our books (over 1000) and DVDs, Blu-Rays, etc that we have in the house - currently an on going project, which we do not expect to finish before March/April time at the soonest. Copies will be kept online in our various cloud storage accounts, and emailed to various family members as well.

• Like 5

On 1/2/2023 at 2:26 PM, Mike said:

I must be lucky then, as I've never had to lie about my stash.  Most of it is on display in the workshop, and I don't get any rolling eyes when another kit arrives.  I don't quite understand why everyone's spouse/partner is so against you all getting models to play with? :hmmm: Are you raiding the food shopping budget?  If it doesn't affect the family finances, it shouldn't matter, surely? :confused:

I think it adds a little excitement when people pretend that there's something illicit about their stash. The term itself is taken from the world of illegal drugs. Perhaps people would feel awkward saying that they own a thousand toys that they don't play with. Is that a bit too real? Calling it a stash somehow avoids the questions about why some of us feel a compulsion to buy so many kits.

I once knew a man with thousands, maybe tens of thousands of kits. His house was rammed tight. Kits in multiples of five, ten, more. I saw a dozen Airfix Nimrods. He was single, smelly, hugely fat and clearly quite mad. Few people ever got inside his house but he needed help to move something so I got to see the extent of it. He was at the extreme end of a continuum that so many of us find ourselves a part of. No wonder we make a joke of it. 

I'm quite sure that there are some modellers who do affect the family finances. I believe my friend would have, if he'd had a family. Funnily enough, I can't recall him ever referring to his models as a stash, it was just his 'collection'.  

• Like 1

My wife knits, I build models, my wife does jigsaw puzzles, I build models. I also have guitars, but they've been with me for years so they don't count.

The only significant difference between us is that she's a great deal more organised than I am and has a neater stash control system. She understands the idea of a stash, embraces it herself, and enjoys the process.

I am very lucky.

• Like 2

I suspect that it's not so much that they object to the stash; rather, it's an inbuilt desire to organise everyone and everything. My late Minister for War and Finance took great delight in whinging about my stash, and any addition I made to it, at every opportunity, but I couldn't say a thing about her hobbies (which were collecting expensive clothing and restoring old houses - and guess who got roped in to do the heavy lifting around the latter!).

• 1 month later...

🙋‍♂️excuse me ...... what's a stash? 

Do the 6 kits in my loft constitue a 'stash' and if not how many do I need to buy to qualify as a 'stasher' ? 🤔

Keith 😁

Edited by Keeff
  • Haha 4

On 20/02/2023 at 14:14, Keeff said:

excuse me ...... what's a stash? 

Do the 6 kits in my loft constitue a 'stash' and if nothow many do I need to buy to qualify as a 'stasher' ? 🤔 

Keith 😁

It depends.

If those 6 kits are worth more than your monthly income and you build less than 6 kits per year, I think you might qualify.

Otherwise: 6 kits in the "stash"? What if something happens to the supply chain? How would anybody want to live like that?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Jochen Barett said:

It depends.

If those 6 kits are worth more than your monthly income and you build less than 6 kits per year, I think you might qualify

Dammit!  I don't qualify!  😏🤣

6 minutes ago, Jochen Barett said:

Otherwise: 6 kits in the "stash"? What if something happens to the supply chain? How would anybody want to live like that?

Errrmm ..... I'd have to have an enforced break!!  🤣

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
On 2/20/2023 at 11:29 PM, IanF said:

I must be lucky, every time I come out of Clifton’s Curios with just paint, she says,  “why haven’t you bought a kit, you should get one while your in there”. 

My wife has said that to me on occasion.  Id didn't fall for it, I knew if I did it would be held against me in future disputes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, 593jones said:

My wife has said that to me on occasion.  Id didn't fall for it, I knew if I did it would be held against me in future disputes.

😂

I thought I’d been pretty reserved in front of my wife, but then I was crashing on about Liberators last week and she replied ‘I thought you said you were set for the next few years..’ then reeled off the various reasons I thought I’d been more subtle with over the last year:

-It was my favourite plane as a kid

-It was my favourite kit as a kid

-It’s my favourite plane now

-My family member flew them

-I flew in one

-The RNZAF flew them

-The RAAF flew them

-I saw one at an airshow

-One flew over while we were having a romantic stroll in Rome

-One displayed at the airshow in Le Bourget which I cunningly timed our Romantic Paris holiday to coincide with.

For someone whose eyes glaze over if I even vaguely mention anything tangential to the hobby, she did pretty well.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/2/2023 at 7:40 AM, Fnick said:

I'll get my coat...😁

Nick

Nice idea but it has a significant flaw ...

"When you finish a model ......"

• Like 2
  • Haha 5