1:72 Grumman Avenger Mk.II, 853 Sqn FAA

Hi All,

My first completion for 2023 is Sword's lovely little Avenger/Tarpon Mk.I, which I completed as an Avenger Mk.II of 853 Sqn FAA, flying from HMS Queen in April 1945. 853 were involved in anti-shipping operations off the Norwegian coast at this time. JZ402 was hit by another aircraft (JZ400) on 27th April 1945 - here's a photo of the aftermath (kindly provided by @Troy Smith)

FFAAvengerantisubscheme.jpg

As this was an Avenger Mk.II, I filled in the cowling trough for the machine gun, and drilled holes in the wings for the wing mounted guns. As this would have been an Eastern-manufactured aircraft the interior was painted throughout in Interior Green, unlike the earlier Mk.I Tarpons which were partially Bronze Green. The cowling interior was finished in Zinc Chromate Yellow. Here's a link to the WIP if anyone is interested:

And with that, to to the photos:

20230102_142358.jpg

20230102_142407.jpg

20230102_142426.jpg

20230102_142439.jpg

20230102_142446.jpg

20230102_142500.jpg

20230102_142510.jpg

Here's a final shot with another recent completion, another FAA torpedo bomber with a crew of 3:

20230102_142544.jpg

I've very much enjoyed building this kit, and although it is no shake and bake I think it builds up to a rather nice Avenger - highly recommended! I also love this unusual scheme, and have enjoyed the challenge of making it work. Thanks to all those who have offered kind words and encouragement along the way - it has been much appreciated!

Thanks for looking,

Roger

• Like 47

Hi Roger,

I am impressed at the model you created. Absolutely brilliant! And what a pair it makes with the Stringbag.

Congrats!

JR

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, jean said:

Hi Roger,

I am impressed at the model you created. Absolutely brilliant! And what a pair it makes with the Stringbag.

Congrats!

JR

Thanks for the kind words Jean - much appreciated!

• Like 1

She's a beauty, Roger,

It has been a pleasure watching this come together in an engaging and instructive thread.

Thanks for sharing it with us and I'm loving the family picture too.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

She's a beauty, Roger,

It has been a pleasure watching this come together in an engaging and instructive thread.

Thanks for sharing it with us and I'm loving the family picture too.

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks very much Alistair, in particular for the inspiration to buy the kit in the first place!

26 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Looks absolutely superb Roger, a lovely model with a great finish, love the weathering too.  Great work and a joy to follow.

Chris

Thank you Chris - you need to get yours on the go!

11 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

That came up beautifully Roger, this scheme is a serious contender for mine come the day after seeing this. 👍

Steve.

Thanks Steve - I look forward to seeing yours come together!

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 3

Another of my favorite aircraft.  The British color scheme is so much more interesting than the solid dark blue of the U.S. navy scheme.  It really makes these Avengers look so different from their U.S. Navy counterparts.  Great looking model you have there.  Thanks for sharing.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, franky boy said:

Too work as always Roger. 

James 

Thanks for the kind words James!

11 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Looks great! The scheme is very unusual too.

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian - I think it suits the Avenger rather well

10 hours ago, Grey Beema said:

Nice work Roger.  Great Avenger and looks well with the Swordfish.

You know what would look good with those - an Albacore.  I see an Applecore in your future...

Good idea GB - I have other FAA subjects to tackle first!

9 hours ago, Mukund SB said:

I like this weathering very much. Less contrast and just right..... Well executed. 👍

Thanks very much Mukind!

8 hours ago, MACALAIN said:

Well done.

Alain

Thanks Alain!

6 hours ago, billn53 said:

Great choice of scheme, executed perfectly. Love it!

You are most kind Bill - thank you!

5 hours ago, georgeusa said:

Another of my favorite aircraft.  The British color scheme is so much more interesting than the solid dark blue of the U.S. navy scheme.  It really makes these Avengers look so different from their U.S. Navy counterparts.  Great looking model you have there.  Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for that George - it does make a change even from 'normal' FAA schemes

9 minutes ago, russ c said:

Great looking Avenger there Roger, really nice work. The Swordfish looks fab` too

Thanks for the kind words Russ - much appreciated!

• Like 2

Roger……..that is one sweet looking Tarpon.  Your skills as an artist are quite evident.  I will be reaching out to you in due time for a recap of your experience with this particular kit as I have one in my stash ( earmarked for a Midway Avenger ).  I was a bit relieved when I read your comment how you enjoyed the kit.  The one Sword kit I built ( F3H Demon ) was one of the most difficult kits I have ever built.  By the way, I was surprised just quick you put this Tarpon on the shelf.  At this pace, you`ll be over 300 completed kits at year`s end!!!!! 😬 :worthy:

Happy New Year my friend

Mike

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bell209 said:

Lovely job, Dunny and a different scheme to those I've seen before.

Thanks for the kind words!

3 hours ago, Tomcat101 said:

Nice build and an impressive paint scheme. :)

Thank you - much appreciated

55 minutes ago, Sky Keg said:

Roger……..that is one sweet looking Tarpon.  Your skills as an artist are quite evident.  I will be reaching out to you in due time for a recap of your experience with this particular kit as I have one in my stash ( earmarked for a Midway Avenger ).  I was a bit relieved when I read your comment how you enjoyed the kit.  The one Sword kit I built ( F3H Demon ) was one of the most difficult kits I have ever built.  By the way, I was surprised just quick you put this Tarpon on the shelf.  At this pace, you`ll be over 300 completed kits at year`s end!!!!! 😬 :worthy:

Happy New Year my friend

Mike

You are very kind Mike. There are a few things to watch, the main one being the fitment of the turret. I would advise painting and fitting before the main glazing and masking over it. Otherwise it's a nice little kit without too many faults!

Cheers,

Roger

7 hours ago, François Escudé said:

Hi Dunny , 

What a lovely built and so special scheme !! never see it before . 

You did a really great job ! 

Thanks for sharing  ! 👏

Thanks for the kind words Francois - much appreciated!

• Like 1