Peterbilt 6x6 winch/gin pole bed truck

Hello model builders and Happy New Year!  

As today is a glorious sunny day, I took this model truck outside to get some photos.

This link takes you to the build:

It's funny, just reading the text above - once again watching the 49ers play - they have won several games in a a  row, but today, they are struggling!! Hoping they get it together!

Now, back to business.  I've spent the last couple of months working on this project.  It has been a fun and challenging project, and now we're officially calling it done:

52601411713_fe06efd01f_h.jpg

52601411673_f995229257_h.jpg

If you're not familiar with these trucks, they are used by various industries for construction, assembly, lifting materials, parts and equipment.  I started with an AMT 1/24 scale model Peterbilt 378, but didn't keep much of the original kit.  I kept the cab, and part of the hood/bonnet and part of the engine.  The rest is scratch work and parts from KFS. 

52601315090_a9af7e9708_b.jpg

As you can see above, a part of the challenge was to get the stance to look right - the front leaf springs are brass strip material, wire U bolts, alu tube and strip steering, and a KFS drive axle.  The rear end a scratch build Hendrickson suspension with KFS axles.  The kit bonnet was converted to slope, new grill and side emblems, and fenders rebuilt with concentric spere shapes.  The headlights are from an old NASCAR kit.

52600402192_76a7e6121b_h.jpg

The bed is made using evergreen, K+S alu tubing and some shapeways pulleys.  The idea behind the paint is to represent a newer truck that is taken care of, but used - the chassis received several washes of dust and grime, and the bed, the same plus some rust.

52600402147_aac9164627_b.jpg

52600892616_1c16f9dcfb_b.jpg

And above, you can see the posable gin poles and rigging in place.

52601315005_602c64afe9_h.jpg

52601153939_c4dd278299_h.jpg

Part of the fun of this build was figuring out how all of this works, and then how to make something credible!  🙃 😄 😓  

52601153924_f1a355b168_h.jpg

Try as I might, I just couldn't get a good pic of the interior, which turned out much better than I had imagined it would - but, you can see the dash and the various shifters - one for the transmission, and the others for the PTOs

52601314975_47bb149aab_h.jpg

This image is of the gin poles in the stored position, where they rest on the frame surrounding the three winches.

52601153899_17744b13da_h.jpg

The engine and firewall worked out pretty well.  The bigger victory tho comes from the moveable bonnet.  Getting this geometry to work right was a headache!! This trouble was largely self imposed, as I did not use the kit chassis, and instead made one up using KFS parts and lots of evergreen.

52600402077_1b828ec4d9_h.jpg

52600892516_0bfe9058cd_h.jpg

Above, images from the front with rigging up and down.  Oh - you can also see where the fourth winch is - in the front bumper.  Sadly, I got sick of rigging, so never added cable to the winch - I can just live with that!!

Thanks for having a look, and again, Happy New Year!

Cheers

Nick 

• Like 23

That is a stunning piece of work!  For the first two or three photos I honestly thought you'd posted pics of the real thing and was wondering when I'd get to pics of the model.  I had to go back to the start and look again before I twigged that they were ALL of the model which I think says it all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That is a bit fantastic Nick, I do like the posable gin poles, I can almost start to see how they work, it's an amazing system. The rest of it is pure beast, impressive plus plus. I'm not so sure about your head lights though, at least in the photos, I don't find them convincing.

Steve.

• Thanks 1

Interiors are always tricky to photograph, but you've done well in getting a pic of yours there.

All in all, it's a very good piece of work there, even more so given the amount of scratchbuilding which has gone into it. It also looks as though it's going to take up quite a bit of real estate on the shelf...

• Thanks 1

Really excellent, imposing model you've created there Nick - really enjoyed watching it all come together in the build thread, and as much of it works like the real thing, it's even more impressive!

Top work!

Keith

• Thanks 1

Hi model builders, 

Thanks for looking and leaving comments, I appreciate them!  I am not much of a big truck expert, so spent plenty of time looking at pictures of real trucks to see just what I was trying to achieve!  I certainly lucked out with such a nice and sunny day to take photos.  We've had rain before and now, for the rest of the week.  I find I enjoy taking pictures of completed projects almost as interesting and rewarding as building them!  At least photos take up less shelf space!  just digital space!  which is a lot easier to store!  

@Neddy, ha! thanks!  I guess the effort paid off!  I love taking outdoor photos of models (mostly haha) for better or worse, all of the project can be seen in the sunlight.  

@Alpha Delta 210, thanks and glad you like the project 😀.  I'm not exactly a big truck expert either, but like an F1 car or whatever you prefer to build, the process to get a good representation is fun!  all the better if it turns out ok!

@Natter thanks! 

@Pete in Lincs, hi Pete - thanks!  you know - I'm not really sure about what to build next?  I have an Occre 1/24 scale San Francisco cable car - which I'm thinking about trying.  It's a laser cut wood kit, so maybe time for something really different??

@desert falcon, thanks for both comments!  Thinking about this, I think taking pictures is something like painting body parts.  The first few times trying you (or I anyway 🙃) thought, well, that looks pretty good - then you do it a few more times and think - nope, that looks terrible!, that is, getting a bit too comfortable with the airbrush, but having done it enough to realize - oh no - what did I do wrong here?  😄  to eventually figuring out what steps might work better than others, and how to gain at least some control over the outcome!  Sorry to go on and on about this, but, I've been surprised several times by what I thought would be good pictures, and what turn out to be good pictures!

@Kitkent  hi Chris, thanks for leaving the nice words! they are appreciated!

@Keeff, hi Keith - thanks!

@stevehnz, well...there's always someone who needs to complain!! 😁😁  Yes - those headlights - - I agree with you!  This is likely not the best solution.  I recently exchanged some notes with @JeroenS regarding his really nice recent Mercedes truck build, regarding scratch building project components that have complex/compound or multiple curves, which in this case are the fenders.  They are both concentric and in the front, turning inward toward the chassis.  I mention this because it is the root problem that influences the shape/look of the headlights.  As is, the outer fenders (where the headlight decals are placed) are made up of several layers of strip styrene sanded into a curve, then a thin sheet of styrene over the assemble, then putty to smooth it out.  Using this method doesn't allow (me anyway) to cut in and fabricate buckets for the headlights and sidelights.  This does not mean I am giving up on this problem.  I am calling this version of this truck done, but will likely try again, if for not other purpose than to do a better job on those fenders and headlights!! Adding to the challenge was the decals - which are old and fragile.  I thought about flipping them over, so the "flat" side was facing down, but by doing this, the sidelights also get aimed steeply downward, which in turn, tends to rip the decal (ask me how I know this! 😄).  So - getting the headlight remains one of life's mysteries for now!  

@Spiny thanks!  I know you always build nice interiors, which I aspire to!  This one worked out better than I had assumed.  When taking the outdoor photos though, it was clear to my eye that the dashboard looks pretty good, but man - not really in the cards for a good clear photo - maybe the next time, a one-off, Peterbilt 4x4 with correct headlights and open cab! lol - how on earth could I rationalize that!  I guess I could do some mad max type rig....lol!

@keefr22 thanks! and glad you kept up with the build - and provided some good 1:1 car advice 😁  So far, it's not a head gasket - seems the thermostat is the problem but unlike when we were kids, and you could just pop a piece of plumbing off, pry out a cheap thermostat and insert a new one, now, well - the housing is buried among hoses, belts and sensors!!  I had a ford pickup with the 2.3l engine for years - it never ran right, but was sure easy to fix!

@JeroenS  thanks buddy!  I still can't believe how quickly you built the tanker truck - and with great results!  I'd like to build another big truck or two, but they are so big.  I'll need to concoct a Peterbilt shorty like your tanker!  I have a single reference pic somewhere of a Kenworth 4x4, short bed drill rig that looks pretty cool - maybe I'll try that some time?

@dnl42 thanks! yes, that is my self imposed challenge - to take pictures that don't look like a model!  practice and more practice.  It's funny, sometime the phot can just look like a model - other times, you can have a great photo, but some vastly out of scale or context background which serves as a dead giveaway!   I'll keep trying!

Thanks for having a look - 

Cheers

Nick 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Hi @JeroenS, yes, that headlight assembly (square and round lights) is commonly used, but it's not used on the version of the truck I am trying to represent. 

This is what I am trying to represent:

52605153526_5ce0bb5514_c.jpg

And here you have it.  You can see the sloping hood, smaller grill, conical fenders curving inward, and the curved light buckets.  I was able to get pretty close this whole truck - a 6x6 with singles on the tandem rear end.  But those headlights - not quite right!

The image below, is the same one I use on my sign in logo.   This is my first try at this body style.  I think the headlights look better - but, this conversion is based on the wrong cab which, as it turns out, is too narrow.  So while characteristically similar to, the proportions are all a bit off.   You'll also see the outer edges of the fenders aren't quite right - as they have very little inward curve/slope, which the new version did achieve - ha - I guess I need to recognize victories where I can!  

52605677113_3fa2d00230_b.jpg

The headlight decals above are also from a NASCAR kit - and were quite tedious to get to stay in place each side fractured in several places and it was quite a nerve wracking task!  

50636646836_5abf6e849e_b.jpg

You can see how narrow the cab is, by the way the service body extends so far outward, yet is flush with the rear tires.

Again, maybe next time!  😄 😄  I am close to being tempted to...buy another of these, and do it all over again just to get those headlights right!! That is just nuts!  🥳 🤨 😓 🥳  this was a lot of work - but, it would sure be cool to figure out how to do this with styrene!

Cheers

Nick 

• Like 4

Ah, I see... well, that's why I always invent my own trucks by combining references I like. See, this representing thing just gets you in trouble!  ... I'd just put on those other headlights and no one would know :whistle:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, JeroenS said:

I'd just put on those other headlights and no one would know :whistle:

Me too!! 🤣 

But then I'm just a kit assembler, not a real modeller like you and Nick :)

3 hours ago, Stickframe said:

I had a ford pickup with the 2.3l engine for years - it never ran right, but was sure easy to fix!

That's what I meant in the build thread about growing up in simpler motoring times - I used to do a bit of rallying back in the 70's and my rally car was also my daily driver. On the way to work one morning I blew the head gasket on the motorway. Turned around on the next exit, crawled back to the local Ford dealer, got a new gasket set and had it fitted and the car up and running well again by mid afternoon! Now I don't even bother to try and change the spark plugs...!! Hope you do manage to get the car fixed! :)

Keith

• Like 2

9 hours ago, keefr22 said:

But then I'm just a kit assembler, not a real modeller like you

Well, let's not get too excited, most of my kits are "just" assembled as well!

9 hours ago, keefr22 said:

and Nick :)

Yep!

• Like 1

@Toftdale Hi Andy, thanks for leaving the note!  I appreciate it 😀

@Nick Belbin, hi Nick, thanks!  I really have fun taking pictures of the build - but, as you can imagine, sometimes, the photos seems to simply prove that it is indeed a model! I've figured out some ways to try and prevent that - taking photos that appear to be 1:1 eye level and avoiding grossly over scaled objects in the background, both of which still happen - lol

Cheers

Nick