350 hood etch

You can still get the Eduard etch sets for the Trumpeter kit on Amazon UK site. It's worth shopping around on eBay and regular UK model retailers for leftover stock of the excellent White Ensign Models set as well.

Generally speaking, if you want the WEM or Flyhawk sets, you're going to have to shop abroad.

Hello @bismarck builder, Hannants are showing they have 5+ sets of Eduard etch for the Trumpeter 1/350 Hood:

https://www.hannants.co.uk/search/index.php?product_category_id=&product_division_id=&manufacturer_id=&code=&product_type_id=&scale_id=996&keyword_search=hood&setPerPage=25&currency_id=

I hope that helps, and all the best with your build!

Ray

Let me elaborate on this, in German all nouns (not only names) start with a capital letter.

So in case sombody ignoring/defying this rule writes

"helft den armen vögeln!"

the correct spelling might be

"Helft den Armen vögeln!" [translates to "help the poor (people) to shag"]

or

"Helft den armen Vögeln!" [translates to "help the poor birds"]

In spoken German you won't hear the difference, but you can observe the speaker's face to get a clue.

I think "The Mighty Hood" deserves a capital "H" if not even a prefix like "HMS"

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all, quick question on this. I can see a few sets online. The Eduard one is a reasonable price. I have a Flyhawk one for another build and that is considerably more expensive. There is also the WEM one too which is similar price to the Flyhawk (doesn't have barrels in though)

Guess my question is, is the Eduard set a decent set or is it worth going the extra mile for the Flyhawk / WEM one? I do understand this is a little bit of a preference one however if the level of detail isn't good in the Eduard set id rather spend a bit more

Thanks

Dave

21 minutes ago, Gillaspy2005 said:

Hi all, quick question on this. I can see a few sets online. The Eduard one is a reasonable price. I have a Flyhawk one for another build and that is considerably more expensive. There is also the WEM one too which is similar price to the Flyhawk (doesn't have barrels in though)

Guess my question is, is the Eduard set a decent set or is it worth going the extra mile for the Flyhawk / WEM one? I do understand this is a little bit of a preference one however if the level of detail isn't good in the Eduard set id rather spend a bit more

Thanks

Dave

I have the Eduard and Flyhawks sets for her, I got both as neither covers everything and for those bits that were doubled up I would then use as spares for other builds, 

• Like 1

I used Flyhawk and WEM on mine since as above neither covered everything although tbh were I to do it again I'd forego Flyhawk and just get WEM which covers everything you'd want to do from Photo Etch metal. The stuff Flyhawk provides which WEM doesn't e.g. barrels and AA guns are better serviced by Micromaster 3D printed stuff now. Pontos Model is currently working on a set which will be comprehensive and will include masts which only Pontos and Infini Model sets tend to include (and brass masts are something you always want after you've had them once).

1 hour ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

I used Flyhawk and WEM on mine since as above neither covered everything although tbh were I to do it again I'd forego Flyhawk and just get WEM which covers everything you'd want to do from Photo Etch metal. The stuff Flyhawk provides which WEM doesn't e.g. barrels and AA guns are better serviced by Micromaster 3D printed stuff now. Pontos Model is currently working on a set which will be comprehensive and will include masts which only Pontos and Infini Model sets tend to include (and brass masts are something you always want after you've had them once).

Thanks for the info there. I am getting on with a 1/350 Prinz Eugen at the moment so its not an imminent starter, just have a little bit of spare cash and was going to invest before the house or kids eat it! 

Very interesting on the Pontos 1/350 set, the coming soon page just goes blank so I cant see any more info. Clearly a man in the know! Any idea on when it would be out?

Awesome set I bet but it wont be cheap, which actually once you add everything up, deck, masts, PE, resin pieces it would probably be comparable

The micromaster items look very impressive. the vickers and the pom poms would be a definite win from there.

So its either wait for the pontos set and likely $200+ mark

or

WEM, Micromaster route.

Decisions, decisions.

The Pontos owner is a Facebook friend of mine and he tends to share updates of what he's working on every few days or so. The Hood stuff is still in 3D Modelling stages but it's not starting from nothing as he already sank a huge load of time making the head and shoulders best detail and correction set for the 1/200 scale kit. It's obviously not just a simple click to rescale but a large proportion of the time on these ventures and hence the cost is the reference material and research.

That tbh is why some sets are expensive and some are cheap. The cheap ones usually just tart up the kit with eye candy regardless whether it's right or wrong and/or just copy the work of someone better who actually did the leg work.

The biggest fault in the Trumpeter kit is the 15" turrets actually which aren't good. Micromaster makes much better ones which come with 3D printed barrels which even though not brass are still much better than Trumpeter's effort. It's always good fun spending other peoples' money but once you see Micromaster's boats and compare those to the Trumpeter ones and tbh the Mk.III* HACS and 4" HA twin mounts you'll be sending a lot of money to Simon in New Zealand and needing much less on the brass front. There are the occasional clowns who claim using 3D printed stuff is cheating, but I prefer to see it as using available tech to actually get these models built - since burning out on minute bits of PE on capital ship models is very common.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

The Pontos owner is a Facebook friend of mine and he tends to share updates of what he's working on every few days or so. The Hood stuff is still in 3D Modelling stages but it's not starting from nothing as he already sank a huge load of time making the head and shoulders best detail and correction set for the 1/200 scale kit. It's obviously not just a simple click to rescale but a large proportion of the time on these ventures and hence the cost is the reference material and research.

That tbh is why some sets are expensive and some are cheap. The cheap ones usually just tart up the kit with eye candy regardless whether it's right or wrong and/or just copy the work of someone better who actually did the leg work.

The biggest fault in the Trumpeter kit is the 15" turrets actually which aren't good. Micromaster makes much better ones which come with 3D printed barrels which even though not brass are still much better than Trumpeter's effort. It's always good fun spending other peoples' money but once you see Micromaster's boats and compare those to the Trumpeter ones and tbh the Mk.3* HACS and 4" HA twin mounts you'll be sending a lot of money to Simon in New Zealand and needing much less on the brass front. There are the occasional clowns who claim using 3D printed stuff is cheating, but I prefer to see it as using available tech to actually get these models built - since burning out on minute bits of PE on capital ship models is very common.

Firstly thank you for taking the time and the info. I've followed some of the Model sheds build of the hood and Bismarck using the Pontos set (1/200) and it is amazing engineering (and model making) on both. The sets do look fantastic and can only guess the level of work that goes into them. Hopefully like you say the legworks been done already on the 1/200 and the time to get to 1/350 will be drastically reduced, hopefully that will make the price point affordable too. 

I did read on the HMS Hood association that the turrets were poor, had a look and compared myself to reference and I can see what they mean. Was looking at the flyhawk resin upgrades then barrels etc.

However after your recommendations have looked at Micromaster for the 15", the HA, Oct pom poms, UP and the vickers comes in about £100 delivered. Plus the WEM at circa £75 then a wooden deck at £35 ish and its £200 plus anyway. So it really is a bit confusing on which way to go. I will hold off for a few months, any info your friend wants to put out though would be awesome 🤣

I couldn't agree more on using the 3d printed items is the best way to go, its supposed to be fun making the ships. I've had to make 18, 40mm bofors for the prinz eugen and I have to do the flakvierlings yet. Its been satisfying to see them come together, I'm not the best in the world at PE, however the amount of time its taken has been a bind! I'm all for using whatever will make my life a bit easier after all its the painting that makes the difference.

spacer.png

• Like 1

Morning all. Nice bit of PE work there, Gillaspy. I am working on the 1/200 Hood, bit of a loooonngg term project. Kinda went overboard on the AM stuff, getting the Pontos set, all the Eduard sets, and all of the MicroMaster sets. The Pontos set is what you need to correct most of the kit errors, although some conversion/scratch is also requied. The MicroMaster sets for the turrets and boats, plus finer details. The Eduard sets are ok for some generic parts, but you can do without them. I also bought a couple of Scale Decks big generic sheets, as I prefer the look of the individual plank colours to Pontos' plain basswood colour. Will use the Pontos decks as patterns to cut the Scale Decks sheets, as for some unkown reason, they do not make a 200th Hood set. If you can only get one AM set, go with MicroMaster. The detail on their parts will transform your model. 

Regards, Pete in RI.

7 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

This has got me tempted to sell my Eduard and Flyhawk bits and wait for pontos, got plenty to do while I wait,

2 hours ago, europapete said:

Morning all. Nice bit of PE work there, Gillaspy. I am working on the 1/200 Hood, bit of a loooonngg term project. Kinda went overboard on the AM stuff, getting the Pontos set, all the Eduard sets, and all of the MicroMaster sets. The Pontos set is what you need to correct most of the kit errors, although some conversion/scratch is also requied. The MicroMaster sets for the turrets and boats, plus finer details. The Eduard sets are ok for some generic parts, but you can do without them. I also bought a couple of Scale Decks big generic sheets, as I prefer the look of the individual plank colours to Pontos' plain basswood colour. Will use the Pontos decks as patterns to cut the Scale Decks sheets, as for some unkown reason, they do not make a 200th Hood set. If you can only get one AM set, go with MicroMaster. The detail on their parts will transform your model. 

Regards, Pete in RI.

Wow that's some stash you have there 😳. Need to see how you're getting on with it. Build thread anywhere?

Thanks for the advice, I am definitely swayed by the micromaster items. Got the Prinz to finish first, when I'm towards the end of that I'll make a decision. If the pontos set is out then it will be a tough one, if not then its a straightforward one. 

13 minutes ago, europapete said:

No build thread yet, I am a total computer idiot and it takes me FOREVER!! to process photo's to post. However, I am working on it and practicing, got a Fliker account sorted. 

Lol, i just set one up today (flickr), I'm an IT consultant too 😅. Keep practising as I'd very much like to see how you get on!