Jasta 5 Albatros D.V in 1/72: how to handle the red trim?

RC Boater Bill

I’ve got the 1/72 Eduard Albatros Jasta 5 Dual Combo- there are some great schemes to do!    But those green tail surfaces with the thin red outlines are intimidating…..  enough so that I put the kit away and do a different one with an easier color scheme.  Maybe it is time to buckle down and get this one built….

The kit includes red pinstripe decals - but I wonder how well they work?  There are decals to do the top and bottom of each surface, but will they cover the edges?  

Is it better to try to mask and paint the red?  (Which is what I would do in larger scales.).

I think it would be easier to paint the green, then mask it so just the outline is exposed and paint the red.   But Red won’t cover the green very well..   it would probably be better to paint the red first, and then the green.  But that would be harder to mask evenly…?

Looking for advice/ideas on how to do this in 1/72….

From Eduard’s website:

spacer.png

Edited by RC Boater Bill
Added image

One way is to paint the tail red and then use a piece of green decal film cut slightly smaller than the tailplane to do the green bits. Personally I'd go with painting the edges red afterwards although as you say it won't cover very well so first coat would need some white in it. (I've got the same kit on the shelf and that's how I intend to do mine)😉

Paul

ps

Seem to remember reading somewhere that the dragon is slightly too large for the model, although it's a great scheme . . . .

• Like 2

That's easy Bill, switch to 1/32! That is going to be an awfully thin stripe in 72nd. Maybe a mixed approach. Paint the green, but not the edges, apply the decals then touch up the edges if needed with the side (not the tip) of a wide flat brush. Regards, Pete

• Like 1

Hi Bill.

If I were doing it, I'd paint the green first, then mask for the red. I'd use a light coat of Mr. Surfacer 1000, 1200 or Gray Surface Primer before applying the red. That should be enough to get good coverage of red over the green. You could also use some sort of white for the primer, but it would need a thicker coat to cover.

• Like 1

I always paint the PC wrap around on wings and tail. I do it by making a mask. Place a piece of masking tape on the tail overlapping at the front and outer edge but not going more than half way back. Trim around the edge with a new blade, then do the same for rear edge and outer edge. 

You can now reposition the two pieces slightly inboard of the edges knowing you have an even gap. You will have to adjust the corners slightly by reducing the radius a tiny amount but it does work!

Ian

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Seawinder said:

Hi Bill.

If I were doing it, I'd paint the green first, then mask for the red. I'd use a light coat of Mr. Surfacer 1000, 1200 or Gray Surface Primer before applying the red. That should be enough to get good coverage of red over the green. You could also use some sort of white for the primer, but it would need a thicker coat to cover.

Pip,

It should be easy enough to make a mask using my Cameo4.  I can scan and trace the tail surfaces, then cut with an appropriate offset. ( About 1/16” or so.). 

Only hard part now is finding a red paint that matches the red on the dragon…

• Like 1

The Eduard kit has relatively thick empennage - you can get away with simply doing it free-hand by painting that edge by dragging the side of a brush along it. Here’s one example of that method:

AoKhuUW.jpg

It’s considerably faster than any other method, and you won’t get a red line appearing way too wide for all but straight top and side views.

Edited by Torbjorn
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Torbjorn said:

The Eduard kit has relatively thick empennage - you can get away with simply doing it free-hand by painting that edge by dragging the side of a brush along it. Here’s one example of that method:

AoKhuUW.jpg

It’s considerably faster than any other method, and you won’t get a red line appearing way too wide for all but straight top and side views.

Thanks!  I had wondered about that as an option — your paintwork looks terrific, so it is obviously a viable option!

I'm building this kit in this scheme right now,. The tricky bit was matching the decal red - after many tries I settled on Mr Color 79.

To do the stripe I've edged the tail surfaces with paint using Torbjorn's approach, then I'm going to use the kit decals for the actual edge. Any gaps will be red, so no problem.

My current headache is the control horns - were they left in the original metal primer or painted green?

• Like 1