Revell 1/25 Mercedes-Benz SWB Tanker Conversion

Hi all, I managed to finish the Tanker in the final hours of 2022. Converting my favourite truck kit (this is my fourth build) into a tanker had been on my list for quite a while! It was procrastinated somewhat because I didn't really have an idea how to build the tank. I just had to dig in and go for it, which I did. 

The idea was to build a short wheelbase tanker, because I really like the look of a compact truck. The kit's wheelbase is a little too short though, and it's a tractor chassis so the first step was to modify the chassis. 

I had practiced this on the Chassis Truck Conversion so it was kind of straightforward. 

20221118121909-c9507e35-me.jpg

I then scratch built a chassis for the tank and placed it on the truck. The pump and the hose reel come from Italeri's Land Rover fire engine!

20221219210800-75e87d26-me.jpg

Building the tank took a little while, if you'd like to see more of this, the WIP is here: 

Anyway, the Tanker turned out pretty much the way I had hoped, so I'm really pleased with it. The tank itself is very white and shiny so taking pictures was a bit of a struggle. I would have preferred to take them in natural light but... it was raining. And besides, it was dark as well 🙂 

So here goes, the most recent addition to the Van Dordt fleet. We purchased an old tanker truck, because we like the classics, and we restored it to its former glory. The tank has some dents and dings, but everything works and a shiny paint job was just what this truck needed. 

The paint for the cab is a VW colour, Steelblue, which was mixed for what will be my next build. The chassis is painted Tamiya XF-63 German Grey, the tank is Tamiya XF-2. Lettering is Tamiya's XF-8 Flat Blue. Clearcoated with the regular X-22

20221231200135-0c3ebeb9-me.jpg

20221231200135-d485ed6f-me.jpg

20221231200135-07432dc6-me.jpg

20221231200134-eaef2bf3-me.jpg

20221231200136-8e0c5041-me.jpg

20221231200134-fd4e5e1a-me.jpg

20221231200133-acbd5404-me.jpg

20221231200134-bccb0896-me.jpg

20221231200134-198fce0e-me.jpg

20221231200133-bcd85edf-me.jpg

20221231200133-6d359972-me.jpg

I used the original kit wheels for this build, they were dolled up a little bit with some Meng bolts and they turned out just fine. 

20221231200136-cb390a18-me.jpg

20221231200136-2ddd8cab-me.jpg

I could have built way more "tanker stuff", all kinds of pipes, hoses and what not, but my goal was to build a tank and to have a nice truck to go with it. Building all the other stuff would have taken me a lot of time and life's just too short 🙂 

Bonus shot: these are all four of my 1628s trucks. I love looking at them! When I see another one of these kits for cheap on the marketplace, I'll probably pick it up again!

20221231200051-520218d2-me.jpg

Thanks for watching and see you next year!

• Like 23

Hello Jeroen, 

Congratulations for the new Van Dordt fleet member.  Looking fantastic,  a perfect last project for 2022. 

Looking foward to see what will join the fleet in the upcoming year.

All the best 

Marco F 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Marco F. said:

Hello Jeroen, 

Congratulations for the new Van Dordt fleet member.  Looking fantastic,  a perfect last project for 2022. 

Looking foward to see what will join the fleet in the upcoming year.

All the best 

Marco F 

Thanks Marco, have a great 2023!

4 minutes ago, Bengalensis said:

Am I glad to see this finished! It's a relief it worked out so well with the tank. Thanks a lot for taking the suggestions so well and superb work going through with the extra trouble in the middle of the build! Great modelling skills!

Thanks Jörgen! Your suggestions made all the difference, the "rear end" is just perfect like this! 

• Like 2

Hello Jeroen, your truck looks great - I know you had some challenges with the tank, but it seems like you built this quicky, with good results!  I like your fleet  - what a good idea!  But, where do you keep them all??

Cheers

Nick 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Stickframe said:

Hello Jeroen, your truck looks great - I know you had some challenges with the tank, but it seems like you built this quicky, with good results! 

Thanks Nick, I fully expected those challenges, I would probably do it a little differently if I were to do this again, but it was a good learning experience. 

8 hours ago, Stickframe said:

But, where do you keep them all??

Yes, that... Truck building is not the best way to save on display space, if you build in 1/24 (or 1/25) that is. I wouldn't have minded a default truck scale of 1/32 actually. 

20230101080236-74679659-me.jpg

It is getting a bit full in there, but the two shelves bottom right are still available, there's some overspill of the stash in there because these boxes are too big for the cupboards where I keep the rest of my stash. They could be moved, I have other space available but I haven't felt the need yet. Also, I can just squeeze in another layer of cupboard on top of this, this is just your standard Billy. But before that's needed, I can put in extra shelves, the plan is to have glass shelves in there. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Yg Models said:

woo, truck. 1/25 must be big kit.😊

do you play ETS2?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/227300/Euro_Truck_Simulator_2/

No, I don't, looks pretty cool though. But it would take up way too much modelling time!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Really enjoyed watching this come together in the build thread Jeroen, and really enjoy looking at the end result - another cracking addition to the Van Dordt fleet!

Keith

Thanks Keith, I enjoy watching it too as I walk past it. You can tell I'm happy with it because it has a space of its own 🙂 

• Like 1

Really nice work as usual dude, putting us mere mortals to shame. 
I drove these bad boys when I was “working” over there

Merc 1017 & 1625 4 tonners, and 1628 Tractor units. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

Really nice work as usual dude, putting us mere mortals to shame. 
I drove these bad boys when I was “working” over there

Merc 1017 & 1625 4 tonners, and 1628 Tractor units. 

Those are nice dude. If I find another 1628 kit I'll drop you a note and build one of those!

3 hours ago, JeroenS said:

Those are nice dude. If I find another 1628 kit I'll drop you a note and build one of those!

I have a 1628 tractor unit kit to build and had some RC number plates printed. 
It will be good to see what you do. 

22 minutes ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

I have a 1628 tractor unit kit to build and had some RC number plates printed. 
It will be good to see what you do. 

Well, I'm done buying for the moment, but these kits come around every so often on the marketplace so if I can get one for cheap I'll probably snag it... 

1 hour ago, JeroenS said:

Well, I'm done buying for the moment, but these kits come around every so often on the marketplace so if I can get one for cheap I'll probably snag it... 

My New Years resolution was not to buy any kits this year and build what’s in the stash. Then today I took delivery of Italeri’s 1/12 Lancia Delta Intergrale in a rather large box intercepted by Mrs H. To be fair I ordered it before New year 😂

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

My New Years resolution was not to buy any kits this year and build what’s in the stash. Then today I took delivery of Italeri’s 1/12 Lancia Delta Intergrale in a rather large box intercepted by Mrs H. To be fair I ordered it before New year 😂

I have that same resolution actually! Let's see how it holds up. My storage cabinet is full and that's sort of a rule, and besides I do want to get around to building some of these kits!