RR Armoured Car, 1914 Pattern, RNAS, Western Front 1916...Roden 1/35...

On 1/19/2023 at 9:27 AM, mahavelona said:

Really good progress and I appreciate the detailed build log

Thanks...and here's an update...

My patented (not really) WW1battleshiparmouredcarGrey has been applied.

52638177706_d98c1e299a_z_d.jpg

--John

• Like 7

Sorry for the time gap...I really must finish this before next Wednesday morning.  I am off to Ostend for the first weekend in February . So with that in mind, I jumped into this...

52649086919_8b4c0537dd_z_d.jpg

Trickier than it looks.  Make sure you attach part 3L first as it has a little tooth that lines up the Vickers mount and the opening in the armour plating.  Then the other three line up.  Sort of.  I had to fettle a little bit.

52649262110_8993a84106_z_d.jpg

I also decided to combine the hull and the chassis, fenders and running boards with gully bridging boards too.  The fenders needed some adjusting as they did not line up with the rear attachment points for the running boards.  Does that make sense?  In short, I had to trim the fender bracing so everything would line up.  Some PPP will be needed in certain areas and, of course, more Battleship Grey will be applied.  

52649302943_7a9f29f9b0_z_d.jpg

52648817441_dca4d08c1f_z_d.jpg

52649086939_622b1042d0_z_d.jpg

I think it looks alright.  This is always the stage where it looks the worst anyway.  PPP to be used, final paint to be applied, touch-ups all over...you know how it is.

--John

• Like 6

The wheels were masked and given a coat of Light Gull Grey...

52654235590_cfebd7839b_z_d.jpg

The hull is pretty much completed.  Gaps filled, touch up sprayed...Decals will be next.

52654071714_8f7df2441c_z_d.jpg

52654071729_dc356fa065_z_d.jpg

Even though I will be missing a spare tyre, the knock-off hub still has to be attached...

52653798131_c4b86b554a_z_d.jpg

I gave the wheels a bit of dried mud.  They look good now.  The spare tyre without the wheel has some leather straps around it to hold it in place on the vehicle.  I will be adding a bit of stowage (no surprise there!).  The Enfields look very nice and I'll stow a couple of those in the rear along with the shovel and water can from the pioneer set. I will adding some resin bits from Black Dog namely a tarpaulin (A)  and two boxes (C), one wooden and one metal.  Seeing as there is plenty of stowage already for tools, ammunition, etc...these can only be bangers, mash and leftover Christmas pudding...

52653312722_9ca3879c5f_z_d.jpg

Decals...I almost forgot that this is a Roden product and the decals reacted to water accordingly.

52654071749_47e7221b79_z_d.jpg

52654071764_acaab4394b_z_d.jpg

52653304337_41211d6fc5_z_d.jpg

What I'll do is go back with some white paint and fix this before I give the hull its matt coat.  The rest of the decals went on mostly smoothly.  

The other side looks the same.

52653304327_ed707b0791_z_d.jpg

I think that's to for a few hours.  I'll let everything dry well and then spray on some Humbrol Clear Matte to seal in the decals.  After that, some Flory Wash Grime and other assorted weatherings.  The headlamps and wheels will go on last.  

--John

• Like 4

Weathering.  I used some Flory Wash Grime, then some black oil pinwash.  I think I might leave it there.  If I do anything else, some very light dust maybe.

52654705148_4da5c5da2e_z_d.jpg

52654705153_bd26b4be86_z_d.jpg

I have been looking at the RNAS Jack decal.  I really wish I had a better option than the terrible Roden decal.  I am trying to figure out how to use it.  I could cover it with decal fix (because I know it will disintegrate) or just leave it off.  Plus, what would I adhere it too? Itself?  

52598076839_7e693081b8_z_d.jpg

--John

• Like 6

Would aluminium foil work as a base for the flag decal? You would be able to shape it afterwards so that it hangs suitably convincingly.

Regarding the disintegrating decals I found that one thin coat of Klear,once dry but still fresh,would hold the image together for long enough to get it into place and it would settle into panel lines with less angst than when I discovered the shortcomings of the decals.

She's looking superb so far old chum :thumbsup: :speak_cool:.

12 hours ago, Alex Gordon said:

Would aluminium foil work as a base for the flag decal? You would be able to shape it afterwards so that it hangs suitably convincingly.

Regarding the disintegrating decals I found that one thin coat of Klear,once dry but still fresh,would hold the image together for long enough to get it into place and it would settle into panel lines with less angst than when I discovered the shortcomings of the decals.

She's looking superb so far old chum :thumbsup: :speak_cool:.

Good advice. I've coated the decal with Decal Fix.  I'll try the tin foil routine tomorrow.  It really would look good on there.

• Like 1

That's looking really good John. If you've got any wine bottles with the foil around the top, that would do the job as you can bend it to any shape. Or if you can lay your hands on pewter foil, that would also do it.

John.

1 hour ago, Bullbasket said:

That's looking really good John. If you've got any wine bottles with the foil around the top, that would do the job as you can bend it to any shape. Or if you can lay your hands on pewter foil, that would also do it.

I'll try to save some next time.  As it was, I used aluminum foil.  Not a bad result, and very thin,

The flag...Last night I covered the decal with Decal Fix.  This morning, after it had thoroughly dried, I trimmed it along the edges and wet it, letting it sit for a good time (almost 10 minutes) before sliding it off onto a piece of aluminum foil...

52656041119_0ca5df8691_z_d.jpg

I let that dry for a bit then gave that another  layer or two of Decal Fix just to be sure.  Then I verrrry carefully used a curved hobby knife blade and 'rolled' the shore edge along the edge of the flag.  It released easily.  Now came the tricky part and I'm sorry bit there are no photos.  I bent the flag along the part where the post would go using a straight edge.  The attached the two halves along the piece of stretched sprue using a bit of white glue.  Then I had to carefully fold the flag down as if it was at rest and now flapping the wind.  Phew!  There were a couple of pieces of decal that split off but I was able to touch up the spots with white, red and blue paint.  After it had dried I gave it some matte clear spray.  

52656201200_1423099e28_z_d.jpg

52656041149_e8127e762e_z_d.jpg

That's the best I could do with that.  With that done I...yes...went ahead and finished the Rolls.  The wheels actually went on last night, so all I had to add were the headlamps and stowage.  I'll have some better pictures this afternoon, but for now...Phew!

52656238405_b1c1aa386f_c_d.jpg

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Ned said:

You've done a great job with that flag. It looks... like a flag!

Haha!  Thanks Ned.

5 hours ago, diablo rsv said:

Nicely done, that looks great!

Thank you Wayne.

5 hours ago, Trevor L said:

That sounds fiddly, but the end result looks worth it.

It was touch and go there for a minute...Thanks!

And here it is...

52657027498_7c05482e38_z_d.jpg

52656980980_55efd6dd4e_z_d.jpg

Too bad about the silvering on the decals.  Try to ignore it, if you can.  I'll put the rest in the gallery in a bit.  

I might have time before February 19 to squeeze in one more.  Something small and uncomplicated.  Alas, I have no more half-tracks.  It'll have to be another AC.

--John

• Like 6

You've made a great Job on that one John, it's a shame about the decals though.  Meng have the same car as one of their options and I have the decals spare if you want them.

Wayne