Italeri Bugatti Type 35B

nick

Hello Nick

Fantastic work on the Bugatti engine and the wire fasteners.

A thought has occurred to me. When you go into production with the engine, I wonder if it might be worth investigating doing it in 1/24th scale to retro fit in the old Monogram kit to replace the kit engine. That old kit is quite good considering it was first released back in the 60's of 70's but a state of the art 3D printed engine would really lift it.

Another 35B kit that might be worth a look at is the little Airfix kit in 1/32nd scale. The funny thing about that kit is that Airfix did a detailed firewall in the engine bay but never supplied an engine in the kit. It is as though they stopped short to save on production costs.

I don't know if they would be viable or not as both those smaller scale kits have been out of production for quite a while.

Incidentally, have the Bentley bits now gone into production as you are currently developing parts for the Bugatti?

Edited by Noel Smith

51 minutes ago, Noel Smith said:

Hello Nick

Fantastic work on the Bugatti engine and the wire fasteners.

A thought has occurred to me. When you go into production with the engine, I wonder if it might be worth investigating doing it in 1/24th scale to retro fit in the old Monogram kit to replace the kit engine. That old kit is quite good considering it was first released back in the 60's of 70's but a state of the art 3D printed engine would really lift it.

Another 35B kit that might be worth a look at is the little Airfix kit in 1/32nd scale. The funny thing about that kit is that Airfix did a detailed firewall in the engine bay but never supplied an engine in the kit. It is as though they stopped short to save on production costs.

I don't know if they would be viable or not as both those smaller scale kits have been out of production for quite a while.

Incidentally, have the Bentley bits now gone into production as you are currently developing parts for the Bugatti?

Noel,

thanks for the kind words. I draw everything 1:1 so can produce any scale at will. The Bentley still isn't quite ready as the engine alone won't work as an accurate version won't fit without major surgery.

I am still working on it, it will happen one day!

Regards,

Nick

5 hours ago, CrazyCrank said:

Morning @nick :) Wake up ! Santa Claus is back 😉

The Provence Motors manager, Nicolas SALAÜN, got up very early this morning, to take pictures and gather a lot of reference docs.

He sent me 58 photos (obviously, only a few ones of the blower attachment), some original drawings (February 28th  1928) and plan of mounting  (3 PDF docs), and as well some CAD files of chassis

He wrote in his email that "there are 2 supports on the engine side (plans attached), 2 plates under the compressor and 2 brackets (angles) that connect these plates to the chassis."

I can't post here all these files, so I post you a PM....

Friendly

CC

What an absolute goldmine of information I’ve been given there. I’ve revised about 10 items that weren’t correct as well as being able to draw a host of previously missing parts, I’ll put some images up later. 

once again, many, many thanks for this it’s incredibly useful. 

regards

Nick

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, nick said:

What an absolute goldmine of information I’ve been given there. I’ve revised about 10 items that weren’t correct as well as being able to draw a host of previously missing parts, I’ll put some images up later. 

once again, many, many thanks for this it’s incredibly useful. 

regards

Nick

You're welcome @nick

All this documentation will serve as well for me, as I planned to buy the Italeri kit when I come back home, and of course, I already decided to redraw and 3D print all the parts which need it, and to improve the kit as much as I coyld

And all the work you are doing and sharing with us, will be useful for me too :)

CC

hi nick

great job on the CAD model

how did you sort out with all these nuts? blueprints, Bugatti spare parts catalogs, or simply eyeballing from photographs?

regards

With all this sublime looking engine etc I'm going to have to get the kit now.......

To fit in my build plan I can tell myself I have seen a Type 35 race, my first race meeting, the VSCC meeting July 18th 1970 a mere lad of 14 but as my mates dad said "Once you've smelt Castrol R no French perfume will beat it". He wasn't wrong.

Great work @nick but don't forget the DFV!

Dave

39 minutes ago, bgparis said:

hi nick

great job on the CAD model

how did you sort out with all these nuts? blueprints, Bugatti spare parts catalogs, or simply eyeballing from photographs?

regards

Yes :)

all of the above. 

Nick

I've finally figured out the Supercharger mounting arrangements thanks to the data CC provided.

52617680863_5438c9e19a_b.jpg

52617627485_01f8a683cf_b.jpg

52617192256_eb19ec34ee_b.jpg

It's all very confusing for a bear of little brain such as myself - whilst Nicholas said in his message that the bracket bolts to the chassis the drawings he very helpfully provided have it mounted to the engine the way I have drawn it? go figure?

Regards,

Nick

• Like 2

2 hours ago, nick said:

I've finally figured out the Supercharger mounting arrangements thanks to the data CC provided.

52617680863_5438c9e19a_b.jpg

52617627485_01f8a683cf_b.jpg

52617192256_eb19ec34ee_b.jpg

It's all very confusing for a bear of little brain such as myself - whilst Nicholas said in his message that the bracket bolts to the chassis the drawings he very helpfully provided have it mounted to the engine the way I have drawn it? go figure?

Regards,

Nick

Yes the drawings that Nicholas provided show only the attachment of the plates to the engine, but, he said in his email, and I wrote that on your thread, that, there is also two metal angle brackets that attach the plates situated under the compressor, to the chassis

Unfortunately, he hasn't given us a drawing or a plan or photos to show that !

I'm going to email him to ask for help.

Regards

CC

21 minutes ago, CrazyCrank said:

Yes the drawings that Nicholas provided show only the attachment of the plates to the engine, but, he said in his email, and I wrote that on your thread, that, there is also two metal angle brackets that attach the plates situated under the compressor, to the chassis

Unfortunately, he hasn't given us a drawing or a plan or photos to show that !

I'm going to email him to ask for help.

Regards

CC

CC oh OK thanks.

I'm used to modern engines floating a bit with flexible mounts but of course this is all rigid with the lower crankcase effectively making chassis cross members, so I guess it could easily attach to both chassis and and engine, where it couldn't with a modern flexible setup.

Nick

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nick said:

CC oh OK thanks.

I'm used to modern engines floating a bit with flexible mounts but of course this is all rigid with the lower crankcase effectively making chassis cross members, so I guess it could easily attach to both chassis and and engine, where it couldn't with a modern flexible setup.

Nick

Hi @nick

Hereunder is Nicolas's answer:

In French: "

Bonsoir,

c'est moi qui ai monté cette voiture,

il y a une cornière par support de compresseur, donc 2 en tout.

elles se trouvent à chaque fois en arrière de leur support respectif, tenue par les deux vis avant du boitier de direction pour la cornière arrière et par une vis (voir photo 13 44 24) pour la cornière avant.

Elles sont quasi invisibles sur la voiture à l'échelle 1. Je n'ai pas de photos et pas de plans, je les ai fabriquées à la demande. C'est de la cornière de 40x40 ep 4mm retravaillée pour avoir une forme harmonieuse....et adaptée au montage. On voit la cornière arrière, peinte en gris, sur les photos 13 48 11 et 13 48 19

on voit le trou de fixation de cette cornière sur les photos 09 14 06, 12 et 56

Bon montage

Nicolas"

And in English:

"

Good evening,

I am the one who assembled this car,

there is an angle per compressor support, so 2 in all.

They are each time behind their respective support, held by the two front screws of the steering box for the rear angle and by a screw (see photo 13 44 24) for the front angle.

They are almost invisible on the scale 1 car. I have no pictures and no plans, I made them on demand. It's 40x40 ep 4mm angle iron reworked to have a harmonious shape.... and adapted to the assembly. You can see the rear angle, painted in grey, on photos 13 48 11 and 13 48 19

You can see the fixing hole for this angle on photos 09 14 06, 12 and 56

Good assembly

Nicolas"

:)

• Thanks 1

Something else about this kit has been troubling me, so I may dip a toe in the unfamiliar waters of Blender tomorrow to achieve something a little organic and lived-in ,stay tuned! :)

Nick

1 hour ago, nick said:

Something else about this kit has been troubling me, so I may dip a toe in the unfamiliar waters of Blender tomorrow to achieve something a little organic and lived-in ,stay tuned! :)

That would be the seat, then....

I thought I would push the boat out and treat myself to a couple of quick renders too

52619091319_d7e9d62c3f_b.jpg

52619308803_d576a10a9c_b.jpg

I have to admit this engine  is growing on me, I always thought it was ugly as sin, but now I know a bit more about it, it was 'of it's day' and extremely sophisticated in many way and suitably quirky with it.

'Vive la Marque!' I believe is the correct term :)

Nick

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Sabrejet said:

UGLY!!!???? I've yet to see a Bugatti engine which isn't jewel-like!

I know it's blasphemy, it's just very square and tall and thin IMHO.

I have warmed to it in my defence.

Nick

• Like 1

Here's the old trying to match a foto chestnut. OR how to set yourself up for a barrage of micro criticism :)

Foto:-

52619837640_e17b9f237f_b.jpg

Render:-

52619679794_d55ba9083c_b.jpg

I'm off for a lie down now, may be be firing the old printer up shortly!

Nick

• Like 2