Auto Union Typ C, German GP '36, Revisited

As I suspected the aluminium is far too hard for any manual work with a drill or a knife. Putting them in the lathe will just add marks and they will probably be too thin anyway. So it's hand held work with the Dremel and a thin fine diamond cutter. This one is a +40 year old industrial quality piece. Slow going work to keep control and avoid too much heat build up. Risk of damage? Probably substantial. One done, fifteen to go.

AUC38.jpg

25% done.

AUC39.jpg

• Like 11

6 hours ago, JeroenS said:

That looks way better. 

5 hours ago, klubman01 said:

Agreed.  Must be slow, painstaking work, but definitely worth the effort.

Trevor

Thanks a lot gentlemen. It wasn't too bad actually, it moved on better than I dared to hope. But I have three left hand fingers that aren't too happy after the strain, they tell me some rest is needed... With a lesser/cheaper tool piece I suspect this would have been a more problematic work than it actually was.

• Like 1

I made blue tac blobs on both sides like this to try to keep the stacks lined up when the whole thing was turned around.

AUC44.jpg

It all seemed to hold up, so I started gluing the end pieces one by one with a tiny amount of CA at the bottom of the little peg, constantly checking all alignments and lining up, and making adjustments as necessary. I wanted very good rows and line ups, but not necessarily 100% perfect, just aiming for that.

AUC45.jpg

AUC46.jpg

Going forward one after the other, and sometimes going backwards, I reached something I thought looked promising.

AUC47.jpg

I played a little with the engine cover and felt that there was hope for a life after this critical step of the build.

AUC48.jpg

AUC49.jpg

So all the joints were filled with CA, little by little one by one, using my trusted #11 knife blade applicator. That will now cure over night before starting to sand sixteen unbroken pipes from this.

I'm quite happy with this being done, and feel there is good reason to celebrate with a lovely warm up video - on high volume:

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Bengalensis said:

I made blue tac blobs on both sides like this to try to keep the stacks lined up when the whole thing was turned around.

AUC44.jpg

It all seemed to hold up, so I started gluing the end pieces one by one with a tiny amount of CA at the bottom of the little peg, constantly checking all alignments and lining up, and making adjustments as necessary. I wanted very good rows and line ups, but not necessarily 100% perfect, just aiming for that.

AUC45.jpg

AUC46.jpg

Going forward one after the other, and sometimes going backwards, I reached something I thought looked promising.

AUC47.jpg

I played a little with the engine cover and felt that there was hope for a life after this critical step of the build.

AUC48.jpg

AUC49.jpg

So all the joints were filled with CA, little by little one by one, using my trusted #11 knife blade applicator. That will now cure over night before starting to sand sixteen unbroken pipes from this.

I'm quite happy with this being done, and feel there is good reason to celebrate with a lovely warm up video - on high volume:

Wow! That looks and sounds quite fearsome!  Some great references for you as well.  And HJ StucK Jr making a video.  What more could you want?

I reckon you have those exhaust stubs bang on the money.

Trevor

• Like 1

What a nice kit you start Jörgen!! And a nice build!

Santa brings me a MFH kit too, a bugatti type 35 1/12, I hope start it in few months after my alfa. 

I'll follow your work in the future with attention!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Neddy said:

At the risk of repeating myself, that's a lovely piece of work.  The alignment is spot-on, I can see how much work it took to get there.

Thanks a lot!

Sometimes I tend to make my building somewhat complicated, but this is another of those cases where it's easy to write instructions just saying glue A to B, but the parts wiggle around and can point almost anywhere, catching you out later on in the build.

16 hours ago, klubman01 said:

Wow! That looks and sounds quite fearsome!  Some great references for you as well.  And HJ StucK Jr making a video.  What more could you want?

I reckon you have those exhaust stubs bang on the money.

Trevor

Many thanks Trevor!

The sound of these things is just mind blowing, I can watch warm up videos for half a day if I'm loosing control...

16 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

I think my legs are in that video somewhere!

That's great! I'm sure it sounded better in real life, and most certainly physically felt better.

15 hours ago, Vesa Jussila said:

Impressive work with these small parts.

Thanks a lot Vesa, glad you like the work!

12 hours ago, bosscat said:

What a nice kit you start Jörgen!! And a nice build!

Santa brings me a MFH kit too, a bugatti type 35 1/12, I hope start it in few months after my alfa. 

I'll follow your work in the future with attention!

Thanks a lot Fred! I look forward to see what you make of the MFH Bugatti, and of course the continued work on your Alfa. I got the Italeri 35b delivered the other day.

This morning all the joints were sanded and in a few spots some more CA added as filler and sanded.

AUC50.jpg

A first round of primer revealed a few more spots that got some extra primer added with a fine brush, then some more sanding.

AUC51.jpg

After a second round of primer I felt the pipes were good enough.

AUC52.jpg

Time to glue the photo etched clamps which again require some careful lining up of the parts.

AUC53.jpg

With all clamps done and CA cured another thin coat of primer was sprayed.

AUC54.jpg

And we have some finished exhaust sections, ready for paint.

AUC55.jpg

AUC56.jpg

Actually all the engine and gearbox parts are now ready for a primer coat, then painting. But first I must regain control over my work space; it is again a cluttered mess.

AUC57.jpg

• Like 9

Those exhausts look almost as good as the engine sounds! Very precise, and the extra effort will most definitely be evident on the finished model.

Ian 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Brandy said:

Those exhausts look almost as good as the engine sounds! Very precise, and the extra effort will most definitely be evident on the finished model.

Ian 

Thanks a lot Ian! It took a bit of work but it should be worth in the end.

43 minutes ago, bosscat said:

what primer do you use on white metal or aluminium parts?

I mostly use 2K automotive products, usually PPG. If I expect more of sanding and surface preparation it's a primer-surfacer that builds a little more and is very nice to sand, if it's metal and I don't expect much preparation work before final paint it's an etching primer. It's my choice since many years and the reason is I also mess around with 1/1 scale cars where I use these products and find them reliable to work with. They're not cheap though and you need to know what precautions to take, even if we are talking very small exponation in modelling use.

It's ridiculous; I shouldn't be surprised by the number of parts to prime and paint as I have prepared them all, but I'm still surprised by the number of parts to prime and paint...

AUC58.jpg

As soon as the white resin disappeared the gearbox looks much more up to the work.

AUC59.jpg

• Like 12

12 hours ago, JeroenS said:

Wow, you've been busy! Your work on the exhausts and lining them up perfectly... phew, much respect!!

Thanks a lot Jeroen! It got a bit complicated, I'm glad it's done, just hoping it will still work in the end.