Help With Colours Of A MIG-21 Fishbed Memorial

Mark Cassidy

Hi Folks,

I wondered if I could pick your brains about a Mig-21 Fishbed , a particular Mig-21 , its one thats a memorial at the former Smuravyovo 2 Air Base near St Petersburg. I fancied trying to build a diorama that is loosley representative of the one below.  

I wondered if anyone fancies having a stab at the colours , I have no idea where to even start, I suspect, that once upon a time, that it was in a standard 2 tone green/brown upper with blue lower, I figure the blue lower is from the remaining blue on the undercarriage door. 

It looks to me like its been ravaged by the weather but I have no idea what colours would be suitable for the faded camouflage scheme, almost the blue is like the colour of the statute of liberty like old aged brass the brown is a tan.  

Does anyone have any ideas what I could use?

y4mqBBvqq-xmQ-8wvikDydD4sIPlnYRCVzycuji9

y4m-YtFA5HyJGwRChF7PT1hErU0QF77rjOar16pZ

Thanks much in advance 

Mark

• Like 1

Hi, Mark

Guessing the correct color of monuments of military equipment in Russia is useless. The municipal services on the territory of which they are located are responsible for the monuments. They can paint with any paint that remains from the fence or wall. And sometimes they show miracles of imagination by drawing a camouflage that never existed. And, of course, monuments change color under the sun, rain and snow. Therefore, if you want to create a diorama of this place, then just do something similar to a photo on a specific date.

Dmitriy

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Dmitriy1967 said:

Hi, Mark

Guessing the correct color of monuments of military equipment in Russia is useless. The municipal services on the territory of which they are located are responsible for the monuments. They can paint with any paint that remains from the fence or wall. And sometimes they show miracles of imagination by drawing a camouflage that never existed. And, of course, monuments change color under the sun, rain and snow. Therefore, if you want to create a diorama of this place, then just do something similar to a photo on a specific date.

Dmitriy

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

That's fantastic mate those other images really help, thanks for this I have my colour choices made but it helps to have more angles to choose from thanks so much for your help mate 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Some more photos.

It is interesting to observe how the number and location of commemorative plaques on the pedestal under the plane change over time.

And another interesting fact is that MiG-21 have never been operated at this airbase.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here is another videos at the beginning of which there is an airplane. Please note that at this moment the building of the officers' club at the back of the plane collapsed completely. And there are more plates on the pedestal of the aircraft.

How does the village abandoned by the Ministry of Defense live?

My trip to Smuravevo (to my homeland)

Edited by Dmitriy1967
  • Thanks 1

As someone largely ignorant about the MiG-21 (though there is one about 20 miles from me(!)), this one strikes me as strangely "hump-backed"- is that a particular type?

Fascinating to see the photos at different times, and different stages of decay.  The last is rather sad- it was a handsome building.  Thank you for presenting the photos.

bob

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Dmitriy1967 said:

This is the earliest photo I've seen.

spacer.png

Dmitriy  that's really intresting mate thanks  I had wondered if the jet had started out in standard camouflage and then really badly weathered or it was a you had mentioned the local administrators found a load of colour x and y and slapped it on the jet. 

A wee update I bought the eduard mig-21 kit the weekender one in 1/72  it arrived yesterday along with my t-55 for a similar project and my current build is nearly finished so am hoping to get started on this soon. 

That said my forst 3d printer has also just arrived as well  lol

So busy weekend ahead lol

Thanks again for all your help with this mate 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gingerbob said:

As someone largely ignorant about the MiG-21 (though there is one about 20 miles from me(!)), this one strikes me as strangely "hump-backed"- is that a particular type?

Fascinating to see the photos at different times, and different stages of decay.  The last is rather sad- it was a handsome building.  Thank you for presenting the photos.

bob

Bob 

Someone will probably know the variants better than me but the early mig 21 didn't have the "hump" Iirc correctly the later 197ps variants did have them in order to fit avionics and fuel into the airframe. It allowed the mig 21 to become a more all weather fighter rather than the day only of the very early versions. 

• 10 months later...
On 12/4/2023 at 9:01 AM, Ryan Hothersall said:

Yes that’s what it looks like to me too. 

Almost certainly a MiG-21SMT, which was a relatively rare sub-variant. Apparently the large 'hump back' played havoc with the handling characteristics of the jet. IIRC it was only ever operated by the Soviet Union. Many of the MiG-21 SMT variant made their way into museums or as Gate Guards.....there were at least two in the Riga aviation museum before it was moved and I believe at least one found its way to a private buyer in Finland. I was not familiar with Smuravevo but having heard an Estonian Radio station playing  in the background I assumed it was close to our border (which it is - 70km from where I live as the crow flies).....pity I cannot visit it right now. Some rudimentary research indicates that MiG-23BNs and later MiG-27s operated from the base.      

• Like 1

On 05/12/2023 at 12:36, Tiger331 said:

Some rudimentary research indicates that MiG-23BNs and later MiG-27s operated from the base.      

Yes, MiG-23s were in service with the regiment. But for the last 20 years, before the disbandment of the 722 regiment, Su-24s were in service.

Below is the Russian text, I hope Google translator will help.

Wikipedia

With respect

Dmitriy

Edited by Dmitriy1967