F8F Bearcat (VNAF, 1st Fighter Squadron, Tan Son Nhut AB Vietnam, ca. 1958)

Hello all,

This is another 'Easy-Assembly' kit from HobbyBoss, again a very straightforward build: the kit only uses some 25 parts but shows nice detail overall. I wanted to use it as a painting exercise, specially for the worn NMF look that reference pictures of VNAF Bearcats typically show.

I added spare PE seat belts, some simple sidewall cockpit structure (the cockpit & seat are molded all-in-one into the top fuselage), IP decal and a gunsight. Also the main gear bay received a bit of tubing and detail. A few lines of rivets were added around the engine compartment and I replaced the kit's gun barrels with brass tubes. Decals are bits and pieces from the spares box. I used several Alclad metal paints and mainly oils for weathering.

Hope you enjoy the pics - thanks for looking.

Have a great end-of-year all!

Patrick

Credits background picture: designed by Freepik, photo by mrsiraphol: https://www.freepik.com/free-photo/maldives-island_1122944.htm#query=maldives palms&position=6&from_view=search&track=sph

Edited by fox1_BE
  • Like 43
  • Thanks 1

Spectacular Bearcat! You have made a smashing success out of "the worn NMF look that reference pictures of VNAF Bearcats typically show."

The brass gun barrels may be a detail, but an important detail. They really enhance the 'buiness' angle of the machine.

Nice work!

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 1

• fox1_BE changed the title to F8F Bearcat (VNAF, 1st Fighter Squadron, Tan Son Nhut AB Vietnam, ca. 1958)

Well done.  I think that the Hobby Boss kits are, for the most part, well designed and pretty accurate (P-38L being a slight exception!).  You have done a fine job with great painting skill!

Ed

• Like 1