Death Dance - F-8 Crusader over North Vietnam 1967 - Forced Perspective

Hi Team,

I have not posted in a while and thought I would present my latest build.  This time I tried to do something different - forced perspective. I wanted to do an action scene - an air battle over North  Vietnam, circa 1967.  I had a 1/72 scale Revell F-8 Crusader and decided to use that as my starting point. I then scratch built a SA-2 'like' surface-to-air missile (SAM) out of spare parts. It turned out ok I think.  From there I had the missile launching and had the F-8 diving to evade.  I then built the ground scene using crinkled tinfoil, white glue and paint for the water and styrofoam, putty and paint for the land (all on a wooden base).  I also added ground buildings for the launch site and small boats in the water.

At the mid-level I added three 1/400 scale A-4 Skyhawks from another build and another SAM.  Looking up its a bit wonky but looking down I think its ok.      

I am just tying to get into more dynamic builds so any and all suggestions, criticisms and advice are welcome.

Thanks for looking.

Regards,

Tomcat101                     

sGA2ExP6z38DqA2zjwzvaarHSWobK6AiedHgsqYK   

FCPkLKEqqxN_o8hFA3sldzk3V6IiiQ916pIowxYd

21HBq_3l0RqfeanLhdl5rOTTgOs5dENtp_nwFZsD

A8pC4k7ngDqMiWQ38BFppxzrlbehvgAkBnn5MJKr

• Like 44
  • Thanks 1

Your display conveys the intense nature in the skies over North Vietnam during 1967.  I like how it turned out and this is a great idea brought to life.  Very nice!!!!! :goodjob:

Mike

This is a fantastic diorama reflecting the tense happenings in the air above North Vietnam.  Imagine the sight of a missile headed in your direction that is almost the same size as your aircraft.  One of the various things I did on my government sponsored trip to Southeast Asia was bright light missions to recover downed aircrew.  It is amazing how many survived after being hit by a SAM.  One of the few gratifying things I did in service.  Your diorama brings back some good and bad memories.  But what you have to realize is your staging of this the way you did is accurate enough and presented in such a way it does evoke feelings and reactions.  Just fantastic work and really, thanks for sharing.

• Like 5

Brilliant concept, superbly rendered and powerfully evocative!

Very inspiring to see new model display ideas. Rows of models on glass shelves in a cabinet is all good and fine, but this is refreshingly different. Bravo!

Kind regards,

Joachim

Hi Everyone,

Thank you so much for the comments and nice words.  I would especially like to thank georgeusa for the generous comments, remembrances and added context.  It really means a lot (and of course thank you for your service).   :)

Kindest Regards,

Tomcat101 

• Thanks 1