1:72 Sword Grumman F8F-1 Bearcat

Hi mates,

Here is my last model for 2022, a quick build of the 1:72 Sword F8F-1 Bearcat kit. And speaking of quick, the Grumman Bearcat and Hawker Sea Fury were real hot rods - at the end of WWII, they emerged as the ultimate in single-engine propeller driven fighters. I built the Sea Fury a while back (RFI here) so it's about time I built the Bear. I waited a long time for a modern kit to surpass the old Monogram offering (which I built way back before I started shaving, and that was a long time ago), so I picked up one of the three Sword kits as soon as I could. Unfortunately, I didn't get the one with all of the resin goodies, just a nice resin engine. Undaunted, I proceeded anyway.

This is my sixth build for the year, finally (!) surpassing my average of four. Here's my usual summary:

Project: Grumman F8F-1 Bearcat

Kit: Sword Kit No. SW72022
Scale: 1:72
Decals: Starfighter Decals sheet 72-121 for VF-3 Tomcatters in 1946
Resin: Just the lovely engine included with the kit and a gunsight from the spares box
Photoetch: From the spares box, primarily the seat harnesses, torque links on the main gear struts, and an occasional greeblie
Paint: I love these Sea Blue USN planes - almost everything is the same colour! I used MRP-014 Sea Blue, MRP-48 Super Clear Gloss; Mr. Hobby H58 Interior Green, H11 Flat White, H12 Flat Black, H34 Cream Yellow, H61 IJN Grey, H90 Clear Red, H94 Clear Green, H47 Red Brown, H339 Engine Grey FS1608, H78 Olive Drab, H338 Light Grey FS36495; Tamiya XF-16 Flat Aluminium, XF-69 NATO Black; Floquil 110015 Clear Flat (actually a semi-gloss egg-shell sheen)

Improvements/Corrections

• Added seat harnesses and main gear torque links
  • Added a resin gunsight
  • Scratchbuilt an improved rollover structure behind the pilot
  • Cut open the canopy so I could pose it open
  • Drilled out lightening holes in tail wheel strut and machine gun holes in wing
  • Faked the leading edge landing light with a decal
  • Added vanes in leading edge air intakes
  • Added some extra details in the main gear bay
  • Added aerial wire and whip antenna

WIP can be found here. On with the show - enjoy!

IMG_6700

IMG_6702

IMG_6704

IMG_6709

IMG_6708

IMG_6711

IMG_6703

IMG_6705

IMG_6710

IMG_6702

IMG_6707

A few in-process shots - first the resin engine:

IMG_6658

And the cockpit:

IMG_6659

IMG_6661

And finally, how about a shot of those two "hot rods" mentioned at the beginning of this post - the Bearcat and Sea Fury? Both were the pinnacle of piston engine, propeller driven fighters. And, of course, they were both Navy birds!    :)

IMG_6717

The Bearcat had a rated top speed of 455 mph, and the Sea Fury 460 mph. Both went on to achieve further fame in the air racing circuits, often highly modified. The Sea Fury shown here is the Aki Products resin kit.

IMG_6715

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 74

You have a great pair of representations of the fast sleek and dangerous iterations of war machines that came out at the tail end of WWII.  When the CAF first started in Harlingen, Texas, the only planes at the beginning airshows were a P-38 Lightning and the F8F Bearcat.  After that first show I saw, I became fascinated with becoming a pilot and started a long, checkered enjoyment of plastic model building with great gaps of production.  Always love seeing a fantastic build of the Bearcat as it brings back early memories.  Thanks for sharing. 

• Thanks 1

On 28/12/2022 at 16:09, stevej60 said:

Great pair Bill love the post war USN blue scheme must do a Skyraider in it one day!

Thanks. I have the (very) old Monogram AD-5 (A-1E) along with some aftermarket for it. I was surprised that there actually was aftermarket as the kit is so old. Anyway, the plan is to re-scribe it and make a UA-1E in the Engine Grey, Yellow, and Orange scheme from VU-1. The markings are on a Caracal sheet.

On 28/12/2022 at 18:42, Spitfire31 said:

Great looking muscle machines, both of them.

Thanks. It's interesting that the top speeds are comparable, but the designs are quite different. Even the engine technology is very different between the two.

On 29/12/2022 at 11:08, georgeusa said:

You have a great pair of representations of the fast sleek and dangerous iterations of war machines that came out at the tail end of WWII. 

Thanks. I think the Sea Fury is indeed sleek and elegant, but the Bearcat is strapping and stocky - like a boxer. I would love to have seen them both in the air.

16 hours ago, cardiff guy said:

Loving your work they both look great, wonder how these aircraft would stack up in dissimilar air combat?

Well, they'd both be on the same side right? Going after those bad guys.    :)

I'm heading to Florida for a week or so, then I'll need to figure out what to build next. I mean, there's always another build right? Maybe a Skyhawk - haven't made one of those in decades. I've also got the beautiful correction set for the Airfix Javelin FAW.9 from @TeeELL and the exquisite Sea Vixen from @TheBaron. Gotta do those too, they'll be my first experience with 3D printed parts.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, cardiff guy said:

Sanford Airport has/had an A-5 Vigilanty as a gate guard. Bet you could do a good job on that.

I have an RA-5C project on the schedule for 2023 as well - using the old 1:72 Hasegawa kit. I bought the Trumpeter kit when it first came out, but I didn't fancy the horror stories. And the rivets - my goodness, the rivets! They gave me a case of rivet-itis.     :)

Cheers,

Bill

Magnificent machines the pair of em.  Magnificent models the pair of em.

If I was blessed to be able to fly one of em it’d have to be the Sea Fury because, well because its the Sea Fury and as far as I can see that’s explanation enough.

Next build.  Sea Vixen.  I’m dead keen to see what you do with it :D

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Navy Bird said:
4 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Thanks. I think the Sea Fury is indeed sleek and elegant, but the Bearcat is strapping and stocky - like a boxer. I would love to have seen them both in the air.

The California wing of the CAF has a flying example of the Bearcat.  It does many shows across the country.  You might look on their web site and see what show is scheduled next.  However, the CAF and airshows may be up in the air after the accident in Dallas.  I watched the tragedy happen.  It was not prettty.

Well I just spent a pleasant half hour looking through the WIP, then I came here to find this one is still looking fab! Cracking Sea Fury as well.

Those future build schedules look very interesting. Would love to see what you do with Tony's @TheBaron Sea Vixen. I keep looking at mine and its pure excellence continues to inspire. I know it will be an awesome kit to build. 

Terry

• Like 1