Jump to content

Building the Pocher 1/8 Lotus 72D, Emerson Fittipaldi 1972


Recommended Posts

16 minutes ago, Noel Smith said:

Lovely model of this iconic F1 racing car Matt.

All it needs now to set it off is a custom built show case and a nice nameplate to your spec from 'Name It'

I have used wicked brick for cases ,  cheaper than the deagostini,eaglemoss ( now defunct) or the pocher ones

 

I used one for my McLaren MP23-4

 

https://www.wickedbrick.com/products/dual-display-case-for-lego-dc-batmobile-76139-and-batmobile-40433?_pos=2&_sid=1d3d9f179&_ss=r

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, cmatthewbacon said:

Great work @Schummie. I hadn’t though of that, so I’ve changed the thread title to something more generic. That way people can keep adding, and it’ll become the reference thread for any builder…

best,

M.


Thanks Mat, reference is the correct word.
This topic, especially your detailed pictures prevented me for lots of mistakes. Also other handy tips I copied.

I just completed the marriage of the engine with the body. Upside down, spacers already through the exhaust pipes and even the balsa protection for the steering.

It took me only 10 minutes to do the job after these preperations. 
If a builder of this kit takes the time to go through these 18 pages, it doesn’t cost time. It saves a lot of time instead, and also a lot of frustration.

Anyway, thats how I see it.
 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Schummie said:


Thanks Mat, reference is the correct word.
This topic, especially your detailed pictures prevented me for lots of mistakes. Also other handy tips I copied.

I just completed the marriage of the engine with the body. Upside down, spacers already through the exhaust pipes and even the balsa protection for the steering.

It took me only 10 minutes to do the job after these preperations. 
If a builder of this kit takes the time to go through these 18 pages, it doesn’t cost time. It saves a lot of time instead, and also a lot of frustration.

Anyway, thats how I see it.
 

I think we would all echo Schummie’s comments - I am so glad that I found this forum, because without it, the 72D (E) would have been a nightmare! Thank you Matt, you have been amazing! Thanks also to other skilled modeller’s also. All of your help has been hugely appreciated! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, cmatthewbacon said:

I'm officially calling this build complete. Thanks for all the support and suggestions along the way, folks!

 

done-on-bench-low-front-left.jpg

 

done-on-bench-high-left.jpg

 

done-on-bench-high-right.jpg

 

done-on-bench-rear-right.jpg

 

done-on-bench-top-down.jpg

 

...and the studio shots are on the way...

 

studio-high-front-left.jpg

 

studio-low-rear-left.jpg

best,

M.

I was wondering, with the 72 now complete, what plans do you have for the next build. The Pocher Ducatti Panigale R is just too big for me! I’m at box 20 of the IXO Porsche 917KH and it’s a heavy beast! Just 5 boxes left and then I will be kicking around for something to do! 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, mercman said:

did Pocher send you more webbing, or are the lengths wrong

Quantities as supplied were only sufficient for one side! Matt kindly let me have his spare, he has other material though! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Griph said:

I was wondering, with the 72 now complete, what plans do you have for the next build. The Pocher Ducatti Panigale R is just too big for me! I’m at box 20 of the IXO Porsche 917KH and it’s a heavy beast! Just 5 boxes left and then I will be kicking around for something to do!

 

Something completely different, I think! In this vein, I have the Italeri 1/12 Delta Integrale and Alfa 2300 Monza high on the to-build pile, but I think I want a break! Probably gonna move on to the X-Plus Metropolis "Maschinenmensch Maria", and a couple of Airfix "blasts from the past" for our Classic British Kits SIG table at SMW: a 1973 Mosquito and F-80C....

best,

M.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, cmatthewbacon said:

 

Something completely different, I think! In this vein, I have the Italeri 1/12 Delta Integrale and Alfa 2300 Monza high on the to-build pile, but I think I want a break! Probably gonna move on to the X-Plus Metropolis "Maschinenmensch Maria", and a couple of Airfix "blasts from the past" for our Classic British Kits SIG table at SMW: a 1973 Mosquito and F-80C....

best,

M.

Ah an interesting one. Which Airfix models are those?  I keep thinking about the Airfix 1:24 Spitfire Mk.IXc, which is beautiful, but I have a small flat, and it would have to be wall mounted in the plane (pun intended) of the wall! My wife would have a fit! Would be very interested to follow your builds!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Schummie said:

Dit any of you found out what hose goes in N8, and where it is supposed to connect to?

While we're on puzzles and mysteries... When I was photographing it, I noticed for the first time a small hole on the top of the left hand radiator sidepod/shroud, at the back edge where it sits next to the tub. When I look at the drawing in the manual I can see it's rendered, but I can't see anything fitting into it anywhere in the instructions, nor can I see it on the reference pictures I have of the real thing...

best,

M.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, cmatthewbacon said:

While we're on puzzles and mysteries... When I was photographing it, I noticed for the first time a small hole on the top of the left hand radiator sidepod/shroud, at the back edge where it sits next to the tub. When I look at the drawing in the manual I can see it's rendered, but I can't see anything fitting into it anywhere in the instructions, nor can I see it on the reference pictures I have of the real thing...

best,

M.

I have a photo of the 72, looking from the rear/above with the Anvil off and the red trumpet covers in place which shows the hole in the place you are referring to. There is nothing actually in it! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Griph said:

I have a photo of the 72, looking from the rear/above with the Anvil off and the red trumpet covers in place which shows the hole in the place you are referring to. There is nothing actually in it! 

screw-A.jpg
 

To be sure, I mean the silver connector on this barrel shaped “thing” as seen here near the radiator. This barrel also seem to have 2 silver sprayed hose  clamps. 
But I think this infeed could have no hose connected as it may be a filling connector of some kind. 
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, Schummie said:

screw-A.jpg
 

To be sure, I mean the silver connector on this barrel shaped “thing” as seen here near the radiator. This barrel also seem to have 2 silver sprayed hose  clamps. 
But I think this infeed could have no hose connected as it may be a filling connector of some kind. 
 

Hi Schummie understood! I’m not sure either. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Schummie said:

screw-A.jpg
 

To be sure, I mean the silver connector on this barrel shaped “thing” as seen here near the radiator. This barrel also seem to have 2 silver sprayed hose  clamps. 
But I think this infeed could have no hose connected as it may be a filling connector of some kind. 
 

I have done a search on part N-8 throughout the 4 parts of the instructions, and the only time it is mentioned is when it is fitted in Part 1.  There is never any reference to a pipe that might connect to it.

On page 134 of the Lotus 72 Haynes Manual you can just see the hex-nut at the bottom of the image, that has a black hose connected, this rises up behind the lower strut to the rear wheel and disappears behind the coolant return pipe to the radiator and the cylinder head.

Good luck with your search. Will be interesting to find out! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On the principle of Occam’s Razor… given that’s the water pump, I think, is it possible that’s where the far end of the overflow pipe from the radiator filler cap on the stalk behind the engine connects? That cylinder doesn’t appear on quite a lot of the reference I’ve found including detailed sectioned drawings from the period, so it might be a later mod. We have a pipe we don’t know where it connects to, and a connector we don’t know where the pipe is, and @Griph has found a picture that shows that the pipe from this connection at least starts by heading off in the general direction of the overflow…

best,

M.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, cmatthewbacon said:

On the principle of Occam’s Razor… given that’s the water pump, I think, is it possible that’s where the far end of the overflow pipe from the radiator filler cap on the stalk behind the engine connects? That cylinder doesn’t appear on quite a lot of the reference I’ve found including detailed sectioned drawings from the period, so it might be a later mod. We have a pipe we don’t know where it connects to, and a connector we don’t know where the pipe is, and @Griph has found a picture that shows that the pipe from this connection at least starts by heading off in the general direction of the overflow…

best,

M.

Hi Matt - sorry for any confusion, but the pipe I refer to is wholly vertical, as it runs up behind the strut/cylinder head at the front of the engine near the radiator.  I cant see any evidence that it carries back to the filler cap/overflow. I thought you had speculated the overflow pipe connected to a 'nipple' at the rear of the engine in a previous post?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 25/03/2023 at 22:52, cmatthewbacon said:

Not heat shrink sleeve, since I don't have any big enough, but the handy black Milliput I keep in the fridge. I rolled out some to a thin and flat sheet, let it cure to the point of being leathery (a couple of hours), and wrapped the corners and central join. The Jubilee clips are aluminium duct tape strips with lengths of solder for the tightening screws.

 

upper-radiator-hose-installed.jpg

 

It's a swine to get in position, though. In the end, I cut off the pins on the brackets that mount to the engine block behind the intake trumpets because there's not enough flex in the part between them and the short tubes into the cylinder heads to pop them into place without breaking. Note that overflow tube coming down and right from the brass collar under the filler cap...

 

overflow-tube-endpoints.jpg

 

overflow-tube-endpoints-3.jpg

 

... because I can't see from the instructions where the other end goes. Based on how long it is and where it heads towards in the pictures in my reference images, it looks like it's either the hole in the U-shaped raised piece by the pipe at the bottom of the block (arrowed in the top picture) or the top or bottom of the T-shaped junction higher on the block, by the blue and red pipe connector (circled in the top picture). But it might be somewhere else entirely. Anyone got any ideas?

This is the message I was referring to Matt.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I did speculate that, but I was set straight that in period it just hung down loose to more of less the level of the bottom of the engine and dripped onto the track, and more modern historic racer 72s have a modified system with an expansion tank…

 

But maybe one of those places Iis actually where @Schummie s rogue nipple connects to… there’s plenty of unused tube!

 

best

M.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, cmatthewbacon said:

I did speculate that, but I was set straight that in period it just hung down loose to more of less the level of the bottom of the engine and dripped onto the track, and more modern historic racer 72s have a modified system with an expansion tank…

 

But maybe one of those places Iis actually where @Schummie s rogue nipple connects to… there’s plenty of unused tube!

 

best

M.

"Schummie's rogue nipple!" ROFL!!  There is indeed plenty of spare tube, particularly when considered against the sparsity of the seatbelt material.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, cmatthewbacon said:

I did speculate that, but I was set straight that in period it just hung down loose to more of less the level of the bottom of the engine and dripped onto the track, and more modern historic racer 72s have a modified system with an expansion tank…

 

But maybe one of those places Iis actually where @Schummie s rogue nipple connects to… there’s plenty of unused tube!

 

best

M.

I had a look on the pictures of that area and I am pretty sure that the U shaped part is some kind of mounting position on the block. It's threaded and looks very fim.
Maybe it's a position for a sensor or so, but I assume that it wouldn't be left open when the engine was taken from the car.
Probably not used by Lotus, but possibly by other DFV users. The other "nipple" is probably just the top of a bolt that goes through the hole which is used to connect two parts of the (real) engine block. 
As I can't upload pictures I will send it to Matthew.

Sorry for not introducing me first; I am from "Schummie"and "Dinky" country and enjoying this topic a lot. Great info for anyone who wants to or is actually building the Lotus.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ladies and gentlemen, we've got him!!

 

Thanks to Jean B, who send me this pictures we now have the best possibility for the rogue nipple.

 

It's most likely a sensor for the water temperature.  That would suggest that the wire could probably go to de temperatute gauge on the dash.

If I manage I will try and connect this wire to that connector, and lead it the other wires left in the cockpit.

 

4058913debb7f69a338fcea53d58de36.jpg

 

ff0bb99c1dbf213ce47a451cdb712f89.jpg

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/20/2023 at 6:50 PM, KeithAnthony said:

Screws from Bolt Base https://boltbase.com/socket-screws-c2

 

Parts B1 & 2 were in a pack with air box in my kit. Were there two empty spaces?

Hi could you let me know which replacement screws you ordered from boltbase.  I contacted them and whilst very helpful could'nt identify the bolts from the Hornby instructions (updated ) I gave them.  They said they stated at 1.6???  Thanks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bjay, the 1.6 they stated is probably a millimetre thread size.

Bolt Base is a new name to me.

If you have no joy there look at the model railway fraternity as they will have plenty of sources of tiny nuts, bolts and screws.

Besides metric there are very small BA nuts bolts and screws as alternatives that are still available.

 

Looking at the number of posts on this thread, this particular model has certainly generated a lot of interest.

Edited by Noel Smith
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...