Building the Pocher 1/8 Lotus 72D, Emerson Fittipaldi 1972

1 hour ago, Dinky said:

I was also amazed when I saw 477 parts, I'm sure I've seen a higher number before

I think the higher number is if you count all the screws as separate parts. Skimming the instructions I got to about 420 part call-outs without counting the multiples of lengths of tube as separate and without counting screws. I can't guarantee to have noticed every time one call out referred to more than one part, but I got a quite a few.

best,

M.

On 08/01/2023 at 18:49, triumphfan said:

He has been keeping me abreast of his progress, and made very similar comments to those above. He also said the tyres are extremely difficult to get on the wheels!

I managed to get the tyres on relatively easily by softening them up on the radiator for about 10 minutes. You have to use practically all your weight to get them over the wheels, but it does happen eventually, and they look impressive once done (slight adjustment needed to top left wheel, tyre not properly seated)..

Wheels

Edited by moxie2207
Added picture
  • Like 1

Recently started building but have to express some disappointment. Some screws too long and others too short! Also missing parts B1 and B2. And I’m only a few pages in! However it really is a stunning kit and I love not having to paint.

Question for Keith Anthony.

Where do you buy the allen screws you mentioned? Might be quicker to buy my own where needed but cannot find suppliers who supply such small sizes.

Also thanks for posting photos - always useful for reference.

Every modern Pocher kit suffers from incorrect screw lengths.

Looking at the pictures of the finished DFV/Rear Suspension...it appears to suffer from another aspect of modern Pocher's also...the dismal lack of detail !!!

My Ducati thread may help you with references to replacement bolts and fittings etc......

Ron

• Like 2

the dismal lack of detail

I bought the Aventador and vowed I'd never buy another Pocher kit for the very same reason mentioned here..... Looking at the F40 and earlier kits they were far far better detail wise.

20 hours ago, tweeky said:

I bought the Aventador and vowed I'd never buy another Pocher kit for the very same reason mentioned here..... Looking at the F40 and earlier kits they were far far better detail wise.

I thought the opposite, the newer kits had much better detail, fit, and finish than the Ferrari kits (Porsche was a total waste). Still too many mistakes in the new kits though.

On 19/01/2023 at 16:43, Smallworld said:

Recently started building but have to express some disappointment. Some screws too long and others too short! Also missing parts B1 and B2. And I’m only a few pages in! However it really is a stunning kit and I love not having to paint.

Question for Keith Anthony.

Where do you buy the allen screws you mentioned? Might be quicker to buy my own where needed but cannot find suppliers who supply such small sizes.

Also thanks for posting photos - always useful for reference.

Screws from Bolt Base https://boltbase.com/socket-screws-c2

Parts B1 & 2 were in a pack with air box in my kit. Were there two empty spaces?

48 minutes ago, PROPELLER said:

Hi, my supplier from long time ago, fast, reliable with correct prices for a large line of products for model makers...

Dan.

https://knupfer.info/shop/index.php/modellschrauben-messing.html

Good seller and they have great stuff indeed!

14 hours ago, cati said:

Good to see there are updated instructions, 

Interesting thread. You would think that the instructions would have been better judging by comments on here.

Hornby resurrecting the Pocher brand seems to be jumping around a bit with subject matter. What is next I wonder?

Edited by Noel Smith

The details on the Ferrari's are hard to find and the Porsche is a kid's toy without any detail.

The newer ones also don't have that much detail and way too many issues for the high cost of a kit in my opinion. 

Every Pocher I build disappoints me because of simple issues but when the problem parts have been corrected/repainted and the model is completed it looks really nice and then I usually make the same mistake again buying the next one 🙂 

Thanks for screw supplier info. Very good site.

Also for updated instructions as pdf.

P24 is updated and perhaps I wouldn’t be in Catch 22 situation with front calipers/brake discs. If I put calipers on I can’t get discs on and vice versa(unfortunately I assembled/glued discs and hub too soon).Now planning to drill hole in disc to access calipers screws…

cati, thanks for the link to the updated instructions pdf. My kit is still back ordered, so it is nice to see these now. It's too bad the instructions are not that detailed, such as providing some basic guidance on proper colors for those of us that want to paint various components...(such as what you typically see in Tamiya instructions). I realize the kit is marketed toward the idea that painting is not required, and believe me, the fact that the black body/wing panels are fully finished and decaled (tampo printed?) is a big selling point for me.

Perhaps there are transkit options that will be developed and made available over the coming months (years?) and what would especially be appreciated from those vendors is a proper set of reworked/detailed instructions for the likes of me :) 

17 hours ago, Smallworld said:

Yes I think I could though with only small surface might not hold?

Its difficult to understand the manual without the real parts, should the screws not go from inside the box, so were the drivers legs are normally? 
Did you glue DC-37 into the disc?

Looking at the manual, I'm pleasantly surprised that the drive shafts are separate parts rather than just a single piece of plastic, as I actually expected