P38's at Goxhill

Mancunian airman

Goxhill is quite close to me and I am considering getting a P38 Lightning aircraft but I'm not 100% that the model I want is a J type. 

Lockheeds chief test pilot in April 1944 was Tony Le Vier and he visited the station to demonstrate the handing characteristic of the P38 (morale was real low with the pilots under training).

Its his aircraft I want to model. ' Snafuperman'

Was it a J type ? Serial unknown, colour scheme not known  . . . quite a bit of research required but this is just the start  . . . 

I have seen two kits, Monogram and Academy both in 1/48th scale so they are available 

Any pointers would be appreciated guys 

Ian

11 minutes ago, Mancunian airman said:

Goxhill is quite close to me and I am considering getting a P38 Lightning aircraft but I'm not 100% that the model I want is a J type. 

Lockheeds chief test pilot in April 1944 was Tony Le Vier and he visited the station to demonstrate the handing characteristic of the P38 (morale was real low with the pilots under training).

Its his aircraft I want to model. ' Snafuperman'

Was it a J type ? Serial unknown, colour scheme not known  . . . quite a bit of research required but this is just the start  . . . 

I have seen two kits, Monogram and Academy both in 1/48th scale so they are available 

Any pointers would be appreciated guys 

Ian

P-38 J-10 look at the data plate behind Tony in the photo. 

https://i.imgur.com/z6OZzFi.jpg

I prefer Monogram and Hasegawa in 1/48 I cant afford the Tamiya though if you can I recommend it. I just finished an academy P-38J in 1/48 and in the end wasn't happy with the kit.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235114684-philip-goldstein-and-the-story-of-his-p-38j/

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

Monogram's is a MUCH older kit, and while I have a soft spot for it, it is not up to "modern expectations".  Tamiya is the gold standard (mine is on its way) for sophistication of kit design.  Hasegawa's is good, but challenging to get everything lined up correctly.  Academy's strikes me as a bit less "polished" than Hasegawa's, but possibly slightly easier to build.  There is also the Hobby Boss "easy", which I haven't seen with my own eyes, but it seems surprisingly good for what it is.