Ralph

Merry Christmas!

After the headlong rush of the run-up to Christmas, now for my favourite but...relaxing in front of the fire with a new project.

I recently came across this for £12 in the model shop in the Victorian Arcade in Norwich. There were quite a few vintage boxes there- perhaps a brother modeller has gone to the great modelling bench in the sky? Complete minus a couple of the decals, it even still has the wax paper for the decal sheet and Airfix club flyer. Buster? Valiant? Echoes of nearly 45 years ago...

20221227_174857

Now, the Whirlwind is a seriously interesting plane, and I've built this kit twice, once in the early 80s aged about 11, and once more recently. It was the box that jumped off at me; I can well remember it in the model  shop in Whitley Bay when I used to visit my grand parents, and I just had to have it. It's badged as new, and given this toolng emerged in 1978 that makes it only 7 years younger than me. I have a real thing for these Airfix boxes; my favourite -and now framed- is the 1/72 Spitfire mk1 from I think the same year.

20221227_182836

The older I get, the more evocative these unassuming objects become, and it's not just a kit but a moment back to the past. This is even more apparent when looking st the one page instruction sheet.

20221227_174924

Remembering those M numbered paint references!

The kit itself is classic late 70s...simple and clean. Given that this a first pressing, there is not a speak of flash or mould damage. I have read some negative comments about the accuracy of this kit, and  also comments made about the Special Hobby kit, but the latter runs at about £25 on certain auction websites, and there seems to be some rather exaggerated detail on the wings. Comparing the Airfix kit against the Mike Keep plans in the Warpaint special (I've no idea how accurate these actually are  and given that there's not an airframe left it will be difficult  to check) but I will say this; the parts line up very well against the plans  perhaps a mm short in terms of the fuselage but generally very pleasing. 

20221227_174805

I like this kit for the same reason I still like the old tool Airfix Spitfire Mk1...pleasing accurate in mould line in a way that captured the spirit of the real thing very well, and without a million parts to slow things up. That said  I do intend to do some scratch building to dress things up a little, mainly in the cockpit; I will also add Barracuda wheels and a Falcon vac canopy because I want to pose it open. I am also going to add a Flightpath trolley acc  and a CMK resin figure to make a vignette inspired by this very evocative picture. I love the combination of the sandbag revetment among the trees, but that is rather beyond me!

20221227_182906

I may even scratch build a couple of bomb racks if I can find some appropriate bombs in the spares box. I haven't yet decided on the paint scheme or squadron(either of them!)...decals will be from the spares box and Xtradecal codes  and serials. The Warpaint will be my reference for all this.

20221227_174837

Time to have some fun!

Edited by Ralph
  • Like 23

This looks very interesting, I had the Airfix kit a few years ago now bur sold it when the Special Hobby kit came out and built that one instead.   Always wondered about the Airfix kit and how it would turn out and what could be done with it.

The diorama idea sounds great too.

Chris

• Like 1

I agree with you when you say the Whirlwind is an interesting aeroplane and a great subject for modelling. Strangely enough, as I'm sitting here at my workbench fondling, sorry, examining my new Airfix Beaufort as a pre-cursor to selecting it as my  seasonal relaxation build, I cast my eye to my stash and the very same issue Whirlwind caught my eye. It's been sitting there since Adam was a laddie and you've sparked enough interest in the aeroplane to persuade me to start it as a companion build along side the Beaufort.

I do like a nostalgia build now and again, especially at this time of year. It's great taking a really old kit and applying new materials and modelling skills that I've picked up over the years in order to guild the lilly a wee bit.

Good luck with your build.

Chris.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

First update! I've been using a spare seat, plasticard and rod to dress up the rather spartan kit cockpit, and am rather pleased with the result. I am planning to use a Quickboost gunfight and joystick, and originally a Yahu control panel. However, this latter item won't fit without some serious surgery  so a plasticard version is up next! I have referred to pics of the real thing in the Warpaint book and online to get a reasonable approximation. I am also fabricating wheel bay bulkheads/ interiors and radiators from card as well...more pics to follow!

20230102_152848 20230102_152901 20230102_152714

Edited by Ralph
  • Like 15

Nice start. Regarding that picture of the Whirlwind in the trees, I am pretty sure that it was taken at Warmwell in Dorset. I fact, I think I could take you to the exact spot where it was taken.

Martian 👽 

• Like 5

I'll enjoy following this! I love the new tool Airfix kits, and good quality modern kits in general, with hundreds of parts and much detail, but last year I don't think I made anything younger than 40 years old! I've loved revisiting the kits of my youth. I wasn't a member of the Airfix club, but I have vague memories of Dick Emery being the face of a club in adverts in the Battle Action comics we got in the late 70s early 80s?

• Like 3

A very nice nostalgic build. There was an even earlier tooling by Airfix going back to the 1950s! Less detailed and your series 2 boxing was a new re tool of the kit with decals for both units flying the type.  It would be nice if this kit appears in the Classic range sometime

• Like 2

Great start, Ralph, I'm going to love watching you build this classic!

I never had this kit when I was a nipper - although I definitely wanted one, I never found one. One of my best friends at primary school had built one, so I was supremely jealous :D

Looking forward to seeing the next instalment!

Cheers,

Mark 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for lack of updates...school has rather got in the way of things, as it is wont to do...in any case, have finished and painted the largely scratch built cockpit...am feeling rather pleased with this if truth be told. I've still to add the reflector glass, but that'll come later.

20230116_193645

I've buttoned up the fuselage and also cut out the Falcon vac form canopy. I don't know what plastic they use,but it was the easiest vac canopy to cut out I have ever used  and it fits perfectly-even the windscreen! 

20230116_194405

I've also had a little bit of fun with 1941 style trolley acc (with the motor on top) courtesy of Flightpath, and you can also see the ongoing work with plasticard and rod to dress up the undercarriage bays a little.

20230116_194834 20230116_195857 20230116_194711

An in-progress shot in front of that iconic Airfix box art..more when I can stop work from interfering with the finer things in life...

20230116_200054

Edited by Ralph
  • Like 18

A kit I built a long, long time ago. I always wondered why it wasn't more successful with it's twin engines and four cannon in the nose. But problems with the Peregrine engine contributed to its demise.

A great start on the cockpit which will look great with the new open canopy.

Nice work :yes: I built one of these as a kid, and dumped it in a heap of polyfilla on a plywood base as a crash diorama.  The only Whirlwind to crash on smooth grass that matched its camo :doh:

• 1 month later...

Work has rather interrupted things, but a relaxing Saturday, hits of the 80s and a wee dram of something to lubricate the fine motor skills(!) and a bit of progress!

I've added a small piece of clear plastic for the reflector sight, and secured the Falcon windscreen with woodglue. An absolutely perfect fit- the first time ever with a vacform!

I also found a piece of old photoetch which I've used to dress up the radiator area before attaching the wings...beginning to come together! You can also see the attempt to dress up the wheel wells. I've also made a start on the props- a bit of cleaning up to do there, and drilled out holes for the intakes either side of the props. There'll be a bit of spot filling here and there, and I'll cut off the gun camera box which Airfix have in the wrong place. I'll forgive them that! Looking ahead, I'm  going to have to do something about the cannon...luckily I have spare early style cannon from an Arma Hurri IIc kit, so that's sorted!

20230225_205619 20230225_205740 20230225_212007

• Like 16