My first Churchill

Maddoxx77

Next on the bench. Something to take the edge off. After building the Wittmann Tiger i need a straight foreward, simple build. 

20221227_162320.jpg

first look in the box and the sprues and other parts look descent. They added new figures that look a whole lot better then the old Tamiya figures.

20221227_162543.jpg

Still, i ordered some Alpine figures. If i decide to use the Tamiya ones i can use the Alpine ones on my future Valentine build. 

This will be nothing fancy. No aftermarket stuff, no photo reference. Just an oob to relax and enjoy myself. 

Feel free to tag along.

Cheers!!! 👍👍👍

Edited by Maddoxx77
  • Like 12

1 hour ago, Maddoxx77 said:

first look in the box and the sprues and other parts look descent.

Crickey...  this brings back memories,  specifically xmas day 1977...  yeah, it's that old! 

I'd managed to nab the turret sprue before xmas surreptitiously!

the rest was done in front of the TV, I recall and Elvis film and bottles of lime and cherry fizzy pop....  

Since it was only me and mum,  no messing about with some ridiculous amount food...   I think I was happy with bizzare 70's crisps in odd flavours and sugary chemically  flavoured day-glo pop for most of the day.   Maybe that stuck as fizzy pop was a treat, made by Corona,  there was a factory or distributor  in town,  it was possible to sneak into the yard and find cases of out of date bottles....  apparently.  Not that I would ever do anything like that :whistle:  

I think I recall it well because it was the sort of xmas I was happy with,   as opposed to occasions when we got invited somewhere for the usual xmas do I avoid to this day.... which was the case in 1976 which was a right pain.   All I wanted to was build my 1/24th Airfix Spitfire and I was being forced to go somewhere else, and socialize,   while all I wanted to do build in front of the TV.     

Regarding the kit, back then you could only buy it as the Churchill Crocodile, which made it more expensive,  but it was one of the very few British tanks you could get then.  Actually, I think it was only non desert British tanks you could get.   (and I still have a couple of unbuilt trailers from later Churchills done as gun tanks.... ..) 

I still have it in a box somewhere,  and it's classic Tamiya, an easy build,  apart from the turret it was built and painted and decalled that afternoon/evening...   

I'm not now sure how I did that now.... I think I just  got on with it and didn't worry....  but I was 11, and had built a lot of kits by then!  I think it was done in Airfix M3 Dark Green...  oddly enough it's not that far from SCC15!  

Back then AFAIK British tanks were were either green or sand...... Simpler times.

Just an oob to relax and enjoy myself. 

Enjoy, I think it will be a good one for a relax.     Thanks for the trip down memory lane.    

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

Crickey...  this brings back memories,  specifically xmas day 1977...  yeah, it's that old! 

I'd managed to nab the turret sprue before xmas surreptitiously!

the rest was done in front of the TV, I recall and Elvis film and bottles of lime and cherry fizzy pop....  

Since it was only me and mum,  no messing about with some ridiculous amount food...   I think I was happy with bizzare 70's crisps in odd flavours and sugary chemically  flavoured day-glo pop for most of the day.   Maybe that stuck as fizzy pop was a treat, made by Corona,  there was a factory or distributor  in town,  it was possible to sneak into the yard and find cases of out of date bottles....  apparently.  Not that I would ever do anything like that :whistle:  

I think I recall it well because it was the sort of xmas I was happy with,   as opposed to occasions when we got invited somewhere for the usual xmas do I avoid to this day.... which was the case in 1976 which was a right pain.   All I wanted to was build my 1/24th Airfix Spitfire and I was being forced to go somewhere else, and socialize,   while all I wanted to do build in front of the TV.     

Regarding the kit, back then you could only buy it as the Churchill Crocodile, which made it more expensive,  but it was one of the very few British tanks you could get then.  Actually, I think it was only non desert British tanks you could get.   (and I still have a couple of unbuilt trailers from later Churchills done as gun tanks.... ..) 

I still have it in a box somewhere,  and it's classic Tamiya, an easy build,  apart from the turret it was built and painted and decalled that afternoon/evening...   

I'm not now sure how I did that now.... I think I just  got on with it and didn't worry....  but I was 11, and had built a lot of kits by then!  I think it was done in Airfix M3 Dark Green...  oddly enough it's not that far from SCC15!  

Back then AFAIK British tanks were were either green or sand...... Simpler times.

Enjoy, I think it will be a good one for a relax.     Thanks for the trip down memory lane.    

What a great childhood memory! Tnx for sharing. 

So far this build is flying together. Little excess sprue. Some flash to clean up but nothing too bad. 

• Like 1

So.... i did some fast builds in the past but i think this has to be a new record.....

Building stage done.😳

20221227-235257.jpg

20221227-230351.jpg

I made some grab handles from copper wire.

The figures look descent. 

20221227-193508.jpg

there were some seamlines that needed cleaning but i must say i'm pretty happy with the look. Good detail in the faces and overall very clean molding. 

Tamiya also provided an infantry figure. Maybe i'll paint him up also just for practice.

20221227-195220.jpg

20221227-195225.jpg

I'm done for now. Tomorow i'll have another look at the model and decide if i'll leave the front fenders off. Also i think i'm going to texturise the turret with thinned putty.

There are some small gaps and ejector pinmarks that need filling and i need to drill the hole of the turret machine gun. 

Tracks need some attention to. 

I'll keep you guys posted.

Cheers! 👍👍👍

Edited by Maddoxx77
  • Like 10

1 minute ago, Peter2 said:

Speedy yet accurate work. A quick question: could a bit of thread or thin cable be lashed on, to stop that full jerrican falling off the fender and hurting a Tommy's toe? 🤭

My thought exactly. My experience as a former tank gunner nothing stays on if it isn't tied down. 

I'll have to look at some photo's to see how the Tommies tied down their stuff.

i'll have another look at the model and decide if i'll leave the front fenders off.

They were frequently removed

Also i think i'm going to texturise the turret with thinned putty.

it was quite smooth,  I thought this was going to be OOB ;) 

p3290353.jpg

from 

https://archive.armorama.com/features/3263/index.htm

which maybe the one Tamiya looked over, and IIRC has a few non wartime features. 

I had a look here for stowage, but not much of use

https://www.worldwarphotos.info/gallery/uk/british-tanks/churchill-a22/

The Mk.VII's don't seem to have been festooned in spare track in the way earlier Mk.s were. 

The figures look descent. 

Your spell check won't catch it,  descent means to go downwards,  you mean decent.   

Though my only attempts at saying anything in Dutch met with much hilarity. 

In particular when paddler apparently sounded like  padderlul.    

3 hours ago, Maddoxx77 said:

What a great childhood memory!

Thanks, I still recall it with pleasure. 

Enjoying the build. 

cheers

T     

• Thanks 1

"Your spell check won't catch it,  descent means to go downwards,  you mean decent"

Tnx, as a dutch guy it's still a challenge to write in english however i'm improving 😁

Tnx for the tip. 

Also oob means no after market stuff. Putting some texture on the turret is just common modeller skill 😉🤣🤣🤣

Tnx, as a dutch guy it's still a challenge to write in english however i'm improving

Your is English is excellent.  My Dutch is non existent!   

Just saying that two correctly spelled similar words is an easy mistake that a spell check won't see.   

I know we have members who use autotranslate as well.  

Also oob means no after market stuff. Putting some texture on the turret is just common modeller skill

Indeed.  Just I recall the Tamiya tank turret as having a reasonable texture, but that's just memory...   I know the last one I had I was converting to a Mk.VI which is still in a box somewhere.  Wonder if it's salvageable.....  

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

Indeed.  Just I recall the Tamiya tank turret as having a reasonable texture, but that's just memory...   I know the last one I had I was converting to a Mk.VI which is still in a box somewhere.  Wonder if it's salvageable.....  

The reason i want to texturise the turret are the seamlines between the different parts. They look ugly. 

Also thinking about making custom stowage rings. 

I think i can work with some thinned putty and then sand it back so the texture isn't too thick.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Maddoxx77 said:

The reason i want to texturise the turret are the seamlines between the different parts. They look ugly. 

Also thinking about making custom stowage rings. 

I think i can work with some thinned putty and then sand it back so the texture isn't too thick.

Just ordered mr surfacer 1200.... that will get the job done.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hamden said:

Almost missed this one, I have this in the stash so will follow along and take notes for when I build mine!

Stay safe       Roger

Always welcome Roger 👍

• Like 1

Just finished mine, well, just about, such a relaxing build that like you took me only 2-3 hours, it maybe old but it fitted together with no problems, much to be said about these old Tamiya's and with some at really bargain prices now it tempts me big time to get some of the others, even ones I bought in the long distant past.
Thinking on it I believe it took longer painting than putting together, though haven't done anything with the figures, my skills don't do figures justice. Makes a change to the numerous 50 year old Airfix and limited run kits I've been doing for what seem years!

Anyway, keep it up, fascinated to see how you do the finishing 👍

• Like 3

Hi Maddoxx,

A nice project, when I was a child I made one but at 1/72 of ESCI, with desert color. I have always been attracted to the Tamiya kit, but it was too expensive for me at the time....now I have a MK.VI in the AFV stash at 1/35, patiently waiting its turn (it will come one day....hopefully yes...lol), surely much more complicated than yours (the suspension scares me)... I see that you have already finished the assembly almost completely, and it is very normal, to take longer to paint than to build, when we make a kit of this type, at least for me, in which I spend most of the time, curiously, in the 3rd stage, the weathering, which is also the one I like the most, and I think IMHO, that the most important, because it is the one that will be the "judge" of all the previous work, which, no matter how good it is, can be completely ruined , have a mediocre personality, or be something unique that makes us say "wow" when we see it for the first time...

Cheers, MC and HNY.

Francis.🎅

• Like 1

Little update from the bench.

Did some priming and preshading on the upper hull and the figures. Tomorow i'll get my mr surfacer 1200 so i can continue with the turret. Also the lower hull and tracks still have to get done. 

20221229-163229.jpg

20221229-163248.jpg

20221229-163316.jpg

infantry figure looks rather nice. Will be fun to paint him up. Maybe as a small vignette, we'll see.

• Like 8

28 minutes ago, mullac2001 said:

Blimey you dont mess around do you !!

Tagging along if you dont mind , enjoying your build 

Always nice to have you along so grab a chair and a beer or 2 and enjoy the ride. Feel free to comment.

Cheers!