Focke Wulf Ta 154A-2 "Moskito" single seat Day Fighter (started)

Sturmovik

Against my better judgement, I decided to get a fourth Dragon kit. Another Ta 154. This one will be built as the projected, but never built, A-2 single seater day fighter version. Since the Ta 154A-2 never materialised, I have an open canvas regarding the camouflage. 

Speaking of camouflage, I still don't know how I'll paint this kit. Undersides will be in RLM 76, but for the upper sections, I have no idea. Since it'll be a single seat heavy fighter, I could go with a late war RLM 75/82 or 81/82 scheme with the late JG 300 RVD band on the back. The other option would be to use RLM 74/75 with the early JG 300 red band. Tough decisions will need to be made. Markings will be as simple as it gets, with the generic crosses and two chevrons to make it a Hauptmann aircraft.

I'm also aware of the warping issue of the wings. My copy looks ok (I said the same when I bought the first one).

Here's the link that has all the planned variants of the Moskito: http://www.historyofwar.org/articles/weapons_focke-wulf_Ta_154_Moskito.html

Start of the project ia scheduled after January 21st of 2023.

8xThnrM.jpeg

Edited by Sturmovik
  • Like 10

• Sturmovik changed the title to Focke Wulf Ta 154A-2 "Moskito" single seat Day Fighter (starts on January 2023)

Work has begun on the Moskito. Before doing any painting, I spent the last hours of yesterday to see where I could place some weight. I finally glued two 50g weights behind the cockpit, another 50g weight cut in half where the radio operator's seat would have been (this will be a single sitter day fighter), and 35g on each engine nacelle. Hopefully I'll end with a nose sitter. I also hope the nose gear will be able to stand the 180g of weight.

4swcv6A.jpeg

• Like 2

• Sturmovik changed the title to Focke Wulf Ta 154A-2 "Moskito" single seat Day Fighter (started)

Change of plans. After exchanging comments with two Reddit modellers and Tom Cleaver (a regular Modeling Madness contributor), I got convinced of removing the fuselage weights, cutting them in half, and gluing three of them in tandem. I think the fuselage is wide enough to fit them. That way I'll have enough nose weight as forward as possible, giving me a nose heavy aircraft. Total weight would amount to 180 grammes.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Sturmovik said:

Work has begun on the Moskito. Before doing any painting, I spent the last hours of yesterday to see where I could place some weight. I finally glued two 50g weights behind the cockpit, another 50g weight cut in half where the radio operator's seat would have been (this will be a single sitter day fighter), and 35g on each engine nacelle. Hopefully I'll end with a nose sitter. I also hope the nose gear will be able to stand the 180g of weight.

Actually, most of the weight will be carried by the main gear, not the nose gear.  The purpose of adding weight to the nose is to shift the center of gravity from behind the main gear to forward of the main gear. Unless you add a huge amount of weight, the CG will end up just ahead of the main gear. The weight of the model acts through the CG, thus it is the primarily the main gear that supports the model.

• Thanks 1

On 12/27/2022 at 12:10 PM, Graham Boak said:

The raised cockpit wasn't for the pilot, he still sat in the same place, but for the radio-operator/gunner.  I've just been rereading the Classic book on the subject, which I suspect tells all there is to be said about the type. 

Graham

That was an actual built version with the 'bulged' rear glazing as you describe.

I think this build is a 'what if' based on plans to solve the appalling pilot visibility - absolutely essential if you're think of using this machine as a daytime heavy fighter.

Matt

EDIT - nothing like an image to explain... Here's a similar conversion on Hyperscale.. https://www.hyperscale.com/2009/galleries/ta154c448dk_1.htm

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Long time no see eh? I came back home last Saturday, and restarted work on the Ta instantly. I removed both 50 gram weights and cut them in half. I glued one behind the fuselage, and the other one behind the pilot's seat (where the radarist would have been). I also glued 60 grammes of weight between the two nacelles.

Here you can see both props, cockpit and nacelles built. Hope to make more progress in the coming days.

MBaFVg4.jpeg

• Like 3

I put together the airframe to check if the nose was heavy enough, and it was! Now the aircraft is finally taking shape, and I can start painting it. 

BSiGuqy.jpeg

• Like 5

I got a little carried away and painted and glossed the entire kit. The nose weight is enough to tilt the aircraft and have it back on the ground without effort.

UpGBBQF.jpeg

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Mattlow said:

Ah, not what I'd thought you were going to do...

Looks good.  How much weight did you end up putting in?

Matt

I added 160 grammes of lead in total, 50 on the radarist's seat, 50 on the space behind the cockpit, and 60 between the two nacelles.

• Thanks 1